The Mobiles and Wizardry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, right, that would explain it....

Next question: Have any of the mobiles been talking to Carmela?

Comment

I don't think that the mobiles would never die--anything with a physical container in this universe can have the container acted upon, and if it happens too quickly or thoroughly, all that was stored in the mobile could be wiped out. There are doubtless some things that even quicklife cannot avoid. I just think they'd have an easier time fixing themselves than organic life-as-we-know-it, and be less susceptible to entropy's effects.

-- Dex Lives No, I'm not the author. I just think you should read it.--

Comment

I don't knoew 'bout Carmela, but I have a funny feeling that there is something major we don't know about her.

"Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline
        "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

Quill: Ack, sorry, I guess I would have been more clear if I'd included the whole line -- species that never seem to die unless they are killed. I'm sure it would be possible (if perhaps difficult -- though magma seems to be expected to work pretty effectively) to destroy a mobile, but I'm not sure they'll just spontaneously die before their star and/or planet do. But maybe they could.

Hmm. If they mostly get their power directly from the motherboard, do off-planet visits require building (from wizardry or by other means) some sort of battery?

Comment

*grins* Well, they must have some sort of remote connection: it's presumably not just a contact thing- I think...
            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
            Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Comment

I have no idea what the borg is... but the concept sounds about right. *nods* Cool idea, though I had had the idea that they were communicating through their connection with the mother board...

Oh, one thing. Being... sorry...
                T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

I think they would have to make a battery to travel off-planet, in much the same way that Dairine squirreled away sandwich-making materials in her own little personal claudication. You never know if your travels will take you to a planet that's friendly to your method of taking in energy!

Nico, I don't know about the hive mind thing. They're all connected to the motherboard, but it seems to me that while she takes in everyone's thoughts/emotions/whatever, she wouldn't release them indiscriminantly. They can access each other's thoughts if need be (like the polling data in High Wizardry), but I don't think they're automatically connected to each other.

I'm sort of thinking of it like a computer network with reasonable security protections. The server knows everything that's going on with the host computers, but if the host computers want to "talk" to each other, they have to get permission, and then they can only access certain material.

That's not to say that quicklife wizardly partners (hey, there's a question -- would they have partners?) wouldn't have the same telepathic stuff going on that Nita and Kit did (and still do, on occasion). I just don't think they're all conscious of each other at all times.

'Course, this is all pure speculation. *sigh*

Oh! rowan tree.
                  How fair wert thou in simmer time,
                  Wi' a' thy clusters white,
                  How rich and gay thy autumn dress,
                  Wi' berries red and bright.

Comment

Comment

Well, they might just be connected through the Internet... that would be my inclination: an internet-like conection that they theoretically can all have, but isn't always running. You have to dial up first.
                      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Yeah, except that Dairine created them more as individuals, so that they're more like the Borg after Hugh 'infected' them with individuality. (*avid Trekkie alert*)

Comment

I don't think she lost her connection by force. maybe she wanted to do t the corect way after finding out how much could be at risk with that kind of powers.

Comment

Working...
                          X