No announcement yet.

Can entropy be reversed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple big bang theory sounds kind of like what you're saying, Vashmata. Or i might be completely misunderstanding it, but the way i see it is that the universe goes through big bangs again, and again, starting all over.
    Which means it collapses on itself (back into that one atom you were talking about) over and over...Though maybe an atom is not quite the right word.
    More like a highly compacted ball of matter that's going to explode outward to create the universe, or something like that,
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Yes, I guess it's what you're saying young reader. Actually, I just remembered that a really crazy idea I had afterwards was that in the future we actually cause it to become compact again once we get the technology, because we have already learnt all there is to learn.
      "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
      -Terry Pratchett
      Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

*nods* I'm not sure many people would be happy with that, bored or not...I mean, i don't care how much you know, destroying yourself and everyone you love isn't something most people will just wake up in the morning and do.
        Every instinct we have screams against it. (Though perhaps it would be a good thing anyways)
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I think that entropy can be slowed down, or even changed in the way that it effects someone, but as for being reversed, well, immortality could make anyone miserable, if you're alone of course. Entropy can allow a life to enter another stage of what we call LIFE. It leads to Timeheart, and in itself Timeheart wouldn't be such a terrible place to end up.
          Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiccangixie View Post
            I think that entropy can be slowed down, or even changed in the way that it effects someone, but as for being reversed, well, immortality could make anyone miserable, if you're alone of course. Entropy can allow a life to enter another stage of what we call LIFE. It leads to Timeheart, and in itself Timeheart wouldn't be such a terrible place to end up.
            No your right about all of that... But would immortality really be that bad??? any mistake you made could be fixed. I think immortality would be cool if you could choose lets say to end it, or to quit when you feel like it... Does this make any sense at all???
            It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
            That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

"There is yet insufficient data . .. " Interesting.

It's not so much like Spot's situation in WaW, where he can't figure out the encrypted data; our problem is that we don't have the data. Maybe the universe doesn't contain the data? There's a gap in the programming, and someone needs to write it in... Wow, that's so odd that I can barely understand it.

Comment

Well if you look at the second law of thermodynamics which DD mentions several times entropy can be reversed temporarily but it is harder and requires more energy than promoting entropy e.g. it is simpler to add milk and sugar to coffee than to seperate coffee cream and sugar from each other.

Comment

I found these two articles interesting and immediately thought of YW as an appropriate place to post.... So I went looking for an entropy thread since I figured there HAD to be one already. And here it is, so...

What is Entropy? | Entropy - Facts & Information | LifesLittleMysteries.com

And

Ramanujan's Mock Modular Forms: Indian Mathematician's Dream Conjecture Finally Proven "...The expansion of mock modular forms helps physicists compute the entropy, or level of disorder, of black holes..."

And I hope this isn't too far off topic of the OP question!

Comment

For years, based off of context in what was being written on the forum, I thought that entropy was simply a generic term for things wearing down.

In my high school Physics class, I believe, I learned that entropy is when usable energy is made unusable. For a made-up-on-the-spot-that-might-not-be-correct example, you have an engine with so much gasoline. The engine burns the gasoline and there is no longer any usable energy; heat and gasses such as CO2 are released and these are not combustible. Also, creating friction will lead to the degradation of material and create heat, for example, the brakes in a car. The pad creates a resistance (friction) to the spinning rotor, and heat and dust are released. I have a sort of fear of things scraping... my rolly chair's wheels on the hard floor, cutting metal with metal, etc. Even the joints in my body.

So I guess entropy can't be reversed....
                    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Working...
                    X