No announcement yet.

Of Laser Disingenuators, Julian Dates & Color Variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Littlehorse: Both of the quotes are indeed in Latin. Wilf's translation of the Gauss quote is correct (as a matter of interest, this was Gauss' personal motto). I'm not sure about the play it is from either (and I don't think I ever knew). However, Wilf was correct to be wary of his translation of the second quote, as it actually comes out to 'I seek not knowledge but clarity.' (where 'understanding' could replace 'clarity' in a freer translation). This is my personal motto --the particular phrasing and translation are my own, but the sentiments originate from one of my math teachers, who commented that "The goal of a college education is not knowledge but clarity."

For those who are interested, the Kepler quote that I was using in my signature previously translates to 'Where there is matter, there is geometry.'

Nathan

P.S.: Does anyone know when we started being able to edit posts more than two hours after posting them? Did Lee change a setting by accident or have policies changed? (The time limit was originally put in place to keep the bandwidth down, if I remember correctly.) *Goes off to correct a few egregious errors that weren't caught in time.*

Pauca sed matura. --Karl Friedrich Gauss

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
    Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Hmm.... my translowation came out fomr the wrong perspective. Something like "not to be taught, but to have things made clear" woul've been closer.

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

"I seek not knowledge but clarity." Cool. I like that. Thanks!

Aaaah, this is a one-liner. Ummmmm, "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts *Deedely Dee* ...can't remember the rest...Big ones, small ones, ones the size of your head!" Okay, I'm done. It's not a one-liner anymore.

I will rejoice in the moonlight;
        I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
        For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.
        I will rejoice in the moonlight;
        I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
        For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Duane View Post
          But if I had put in a Pantone number, it would have been along the lines of Solid Matte 195 M. (Though the range can be anywhere from 188 M through about 202 M.)

-- DD
          First, I'm sorry for opening a dead thread simply for a question. I just didn't know where else to post this that would be pertinent. Okay, now for the question.

Am I missing something...or is the Alaalid's skin color BRIGHT PINK???

Please excuse an ignorant teenager if I'm wrong. And I know that Pantone numbers don't match online..but surely they're not that far off? Although I wasn't able to find the "M" part, so maybe that's the problem. And none of the links work....agh. This is bugging me, because I was all excited to see their skin color...

Comment

I have no idea about the Pantone numbers (actually I don't even know what they are), but I believe the skin color is mentioned somewhere in WH. Hold on and let me see if I can find it.

Okay, here it is:
            She looked like a tall, slender, graceful ceramic sculpture, or a sculpture done in wood--a beautiful, polished brown wood, like teak or mahogany... The effect of the fair hair against the dark, dark skin was striking... WH, pages 156-157.
            There's probably another mention somewhere later, but this was the first one I found.

Comment

Yeah, I knew their skin was brown...I was using hyperbole to make a point.

I just really wanted to see the color that DD thought the Alaalids should be, and the Panatone numbers refers to a very...odd...color that is really not very close to brown. More like the "bowl of Jello" alien in HW (at the Crossings), I would think. Anyone know anything about Pantone numbers? Maybe the manufacturers came out with a different chart since DD's post.

On a tangent:I read that first sentence of the quote and it vaguely reminded me of a romance novel, or one of those Victorian ones. I don't know why....

Comment

Oh, wow. That went completely over my head. Oops!
                Anyway, um, see my awesome quote-finding skills and fear me?...

Haha, I'm currently reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles, and actually that quote would not sound out of place in some of the descriptions I've read!

Um, back on track. Yes, Pantone numbers. Anyone else know anything?

Comment

Working...
                X