Of Laser Disingenuators, Julian Dates & Color Variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emendations to my previous post:

In my above calculations, I made what is probably a classic error for problems of this type --I computed all of my values using the distance from (the center of) the satellite to the center of Mars instead of to the Martian surface
    Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

The return of Bottomus!

(A short sci-fi story, kind of a murder mystery. I forget who wrote it; probably Clarke or one of the other golden age writers.)
      "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
      "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

I would investigate 'The Return of Bottomus' (and thus, I imagine, ascertain why it is germane to the discussions on this thread, as I assume it is), except that I cannot find any mention of a story by that title. Would you care to elaborate, meteorite? Also, can anyone else throw some light on the subject?

Thanks,
        Nathan

Ubi materia, ibi geometria. --Johannes Kepler

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.

Comment

I really should look up this story and who wrote it, but a brief synopsis:
          Regular supply ship returns to a Martian science post, only to find everyone dead. Mysterious small holes in many objects, often miles apart. Speculation that the scientists developed a new death-ray device, but supply team was unable to locate said device. Finally found that scientists were working on creating micro-black holes. Micro-black hole escaped from containment device and managed to get impelled into VERY low orbit, a meter or so off surface of Mars. Due to extreme speed and intense gravitational field, is whipping around Mars at about chest level, puncturing anything in its path like butter. Bad pun wraps up discovery: new "moon" is named Bottomos, following nomenclature established by Phobos and Deimos.

The error in calculating orbits of Phobos and Deimos led me to remember the story, although not the title or who wrote it. Just my bubble-sort memory at work...

Comment

Thanks, meteorite. If you remember the title and author of the story, let me know --I would be interested in reading it.

Nathan

Comment

A fast Googling found the below on The SF Site: Letters to the SF Site.

Watch for Identified Low-flying Moon

In the April letter column Charles Pevsner asks about a story about a low flying moon, so low that people have to duck when it comes overhead.

I seem to recall a couple of stories vaguely resembling this one, but I suspect the particular story to which he refers is "The Holes Around Mars", by Jerome Bixby, Galaxy, January 1954. It's been anthologized a few times, most notably perhaps in the big Fred Pohl Best of Galaxy All Time sort of thing he did some time ago, after Galaxy died. It was also in the Brian Aldiss anthology Decade: the '50s.

One key point that might help confirm the ID: the name is a terrible pun. See, Mars' other moons are called Phobos and Deimos. This one is Bottomos ... because, you see, it's the bottom-most! [groan]

Thanks due here to the collective wisdom of rec.arts.sf.written, where the same story ID popped up a few months back.

Rich Horton

-- Dex Lives No, I'm not the author. I just think you should read it.--

Comment

Thanks for scaring up the information, Quill -- I believe we have one, if not both of those collections in our library. I was too lazy to do it myself!

Comment

You're welcome!

-- Dex Lives No, I'm not the author. I just think you should read it.--

Comment

Yes, thanks Quill! I was able to obtain a copy of the Pohl anthology from the library.

While 'The Holes Around Mars' is a cute story, I was rather disappointed by the astrophysics --meteorite's synopsis had led me to believe that the story would be a bit more astrophysically rigorous than it actually is (not that I demand astrophysical rigor in everything I read, but I do appreciate it whenever I come across it, and I had gotten my hopes up about this story). However, as 'The Holes Around Mars' differs rather markedly from the aforementioned synopsis in a few places (most notably in the lack of deaths and black holes), I wonder whether the synopsis conflated it with another story.

Nathan

Comment

I might have, although I thought that one of the scientists was found in a punctured vacc suit outside. Please cut me a break, it's been at least 6 years since I read it and my eidetic memory is not at 100%.

Comment

That's the colour in question... the hex RGB code is is #7A122D.

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Edit: Fixed image link so it works..

[This message was edited by Wilf on 26 January 2004 at 14:50.]
                        "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Thanks for the link, Wilf! My searches for an image of that colour back during the summer were unsuccessful (though rather desultory).

Unfortunately, you 'stuttered' when typing in the link, so I'll repeat it here to save people the trouble of fixing it: Pantone #195.

Nathan

Pauca sed matura. --Karl Friedrich Gauss

Comment

http://www.mccallisters.com/pantone/colorchart02.htm or http://www.concourstria.com/nuancier.pdf. Noether of thsoe were the one I used, but I can't remember the site.

Comment

Nathan: I'm just wondering, but what do the quotes on your sig mean? Is it Latin? Greek? I'm always collecting quotes, so I wanted to know what they meant so I could add them to my notebook.

I will rejoice in the moonlight;
                              I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
                              For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.
                              I will rejoice in the moonlight;
                              I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
                              For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

Pauca sed matura means "Few, but ripe" which is from some play whoose name eludes me.
                                I think Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero translates as someething like "Not to teach, but to make things clear" - not sure on that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X