Remaining inconsistencies in New Millennium Editions 1-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaining inconsistencies in New Millennium Editions 1-3

I first read these books about 20 years ago when I was in junior high or thereabouts, and I loved them. It didn't bother me that they felt somewhat dated even then. Some years later I stumbled upon A Wizard Abroad and was thrilled that the series was extending beyond a trilogy, and I've kept up with them more or less as they were released since. So I was quite interested to read that the earlier books were being revised to bring them up to date. I picked up the first three in December just after HW was released, and read them through without going back to the originals trying to get a fresh feel for them.

My overall impression: I enjoyed the little additional scenes, and I like most of the changes, in HW in particular (which now feels quite contemporary and polished and man I'd forgotten how GOOD it was!). But in addition to a sprinkling of typos which I will dutifully report to the e-bookstore as it requests, I still found some inconsistencies or things that still don't work (YMMV of course, some of these are probably a matter of personal taste). So I thought I would share these thoughts here. Warning: wall of text incoming.

So You Want To Be A Wizard

Anachronism: The librarian mentions stamping the book. I don't think I've seen a library actually use physical stamps since sometime in the 90s... would kids these days even know what she was talking about?

Nita gets her knee "stomped on" returning home from the library. Knees are pretty fragile - an injury like that is the kind of thing likely to result in significant and possibly permanent damage. Yet after hobbling home that evening she seems just fine and is running around a few days later.

Dairine's Kindle. I love that detail, introducing the idea of her being technology-oriented. But a Kindle cost around $350 in 2008, more than the fancy bike Nita wanted so much. With such a big deal being made of the family's financial difficulties at the beginning of the book, it seems odd not to mention how she got such a fancy luxury gadget. Did she sell all her toys on eBay? Use her saved-up allowance/Christmas/birthday/whatever money? Win it in a contest? Get it as a gift from another relative?

Why aren't Nita's broken glasses a bigger deal? I don't know exactly how bad her eyes are, but the mention of how she can't wear contacts implies a fairly strong astigmatism, which means she probably feels as naked without them as I do without mine and reading without them is probably fairly difficult. It does note that the paragraph containing the Oath is strangely in focus compared to everything else - what about the rest of the text in the Manual? If I spent a whole morning reading blurry text without my glasses as Nita did, I'd have a blinding headache by noon. Yet she seems far more concerned about her stolen pen than about not being able to see properly for the whole rest of the book.

(Warning: rant) Kids these days go to schools with "safe schools" policies, no tolerance for schoolyard violence, teachers trained to spot abuse, anti-bullying legislation, etc. Even when I was Nita's age in the mid-90s I was taught that bullying was a serious issue and that if we are being bullied we should not put up with it but rather talk to an adult we trust. Bullying still happens, of course, but it tends to be more subtle. In contrast: Nita flees to the library in fear for her physical safety, being chased by six other kids intent on beating her up. The kindly librarian, rather than calling security or the police to round up or at least scare off the hooligans, just kind of promises to run interference. She gets ambushed on her way home, her eye blackened, her knee stomped on, her glasses broken, her favourite pen stolen. I've seen stories in the news where teenage girl "swarming" beatings like this happened and the victim actually died. And her dad's reaction? Basically that kids will be kids, she needs to toughen up and deal with it, stop provoking them, what's wrong with her anyway? On Monday she shows up to school. Again she is threatened with violence. She's got a fresh black eye to go with her existing one. Not a single teacher or other staff member takes her aside to ask her about why she keeps showing up to school with obvious physical injuries consistent with fighting or physical abuse.

I know the standard children's book bullying plot: kid has trouble with bullies, kid develops kung-fu/magic/confidence/whatever, kid stands up to bullies, bully problem ends. There's a reason this is a common thing. But there has to be a reason for the adults not to be able to intervene. They might suspect a problem, but the kid won't open up for whatever reason: they think they won't be believed, they are afraid of reprisals against themselves or the smaller/weaker kids they are trying to protect, or the bullies are perceived to be too rich/powerful. The bullies always make sure they act only when the authority figures are conspicuously absent and usually do things that don't leave marks or leave ones that could be explained away. Frankly, Nita's dad comes across as one of the top nominees for Terrible Father of the Year. He knows his kid just got attacked by six assailants, but he pretty much blames her for her own situation (no, verbal snark is not sufficient provocation for that kind of response), and doesn't take any steps to try to ensure her safety ("Do you want me to talk to her dad?" doesn't really count). This is 2008, and these aren't little scuffles between two evenly-matched kids - if the problem has escalated to this level of violence and her parents know about it why on earth have they not called the police? I'm sorry to rant about this but it reallyDeep Wizardrythat bitter.

Chronological weirdness: the first two books are seriously set that close together? Maybe it's always been that way and I just didn't notice, but with time stamps at the front of each book it's hard to ignore now. I'd always thought there was a break of at least a few months between SYWTBAW and DW for the kids to get closer, work on their wizardry, business to pick up, etc. But according to the dates on the the Moebius spell entry at the end of DW, Nita and Kit make their trip to alternate New York on May 25, and perform the Song of the Twelve on July 15 of the same year - which means that the family talk about their improved finances a month before the opening of the book happens in early June. This makes "business is great, let's go on vacation and bring along your new best friend that you just met!" literally just three weeks or so after "sorry honey, money is really tight, we won't be able to afford to fix your broken glasses just yet."

More chronological nitpicks (probably personal taste): Nita has had time in the roughly six weeks she's been a wizard to become a healing expert? And should she really be amazed during the battle that she is looking for a killing spell "for the first time in her life" at this point? Just about every wizardry she is doing, she is doing for the first time in her life. You'd think she'd be more amazed that she was already needing such a thing so early in her career.

Inconsistency: When, late in the book, Kit's whalesark starts to fail, he starts to use "pure whale" rather than the Speech or "human flavored whale" like previously, and it is this warning sign that panics Nita into action. But the warning sign they were told to watch for was for him to lose whalesong, not lose everything but whalesong. I remembered this from older editions and was watching to see if it had been fixed, but it wasn't.

High Wizardry

Much is made about how young Dairine is. But when I thought about it, the age difference isn't really that big. As I understand it, she's a couple of months shy of twelve, which is only one year younger than Kit is at the start of the first book (a couple of months shy of thirteen). Yes one year is a bigger slice of lifetime when you're twelve than when you're thirty, but she's not really thatawfullyvery impressive that growth spurt has been, too, if in a single month he's grown from shorter enough than her to look down on to two inches taller!

Again relating to the puberty and chronology issues, Tom makes a comment about how their "hormonal surge" will make their wizardry stronger "for a while than it has [been] since you got started." They only got started three months ago! How do they have any idea of what power levels they should be used to? Especially since that hormone surge has been going on for a while now.

Another thing that seems a bit strange is the conversation Nita and Kit have with Tom and Carl about the software version of the manual and how it could help kids on Ordeal. Tom says that a lot of kids fail their Ordeals because they don't have time to become good at the Speech... but in the first book, Nita pretty much learns the Speech in a single morning. In DW and in later books when we meet more and more different species of wizards, it becomes apparent that wizardry provides itself to any given wizard in its own way, and the book or software or whatever is just the interface the wizard uses to access it. Kids may fail their Ordeals because they can't sort out how to use that interface effectively or aren't careful enough or don't make the right friends or whatever, but given the speed with which Nita learns the basics of wizardry and does some pretty heavy duty stuff a week after starting out, it's clear that learning wizardry doesn't work the same way as learning other things, and the Powers That Be make give new wizards the tools they need when they start out so they can do crazy things during their Ordeals when they are at or near the peak of their raw power. The computer version of the Manual may be just what the Powers ordered for Dairine's personality and those other kids who insist on their newfangled gadgets, but to say it would be a life-saving crutch for those poor baby wizards who are bad at the Speech seems to contradict how we've seen wizardry operating.

Another slight anachronism. I know that the exact nature of Tom and Carl's relationship is left deliberately vague, and my non-conjugal roommate of 8+ years and I certainly know that two non-related adults can live together without being romantically involved. But while 1980s Nita, when thinking about her partnership with Kit and its parallel with that of Tom and Carl, can easily get away with telling herself that Tom and Carl are "just buddies," it seems just a little odd that 2008 Nita would tell herself the same thing.

RE bullying: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAahahahhhahahah hahah...... *wipes eyes and picks self up off the ground*

Sorry, but... Bullying is still a huge problem. It was in 2005, anyway. I wish my school had had one of those supposed "safe school policies". Would have saved me a lot of bruises, that's for sure. As it was, the teachers turned a blind eye to both bullying from the parents and bullying from other children, even if it happened right in front of them. I went to my librarian for help when someone was using a hardback book as a weapon on my face and back; I got yelled at for running in the library and talking too loudly (yes, yelled at for talking loudly. He didn't see the hypocrisy. And this is the same guy who gave every class an hour-long lecture on treating books with respect. He didn't seem too concerned about the abuse to me or his precious piles of paper). Each time I tried to get help, it never worked. Every time I stood up to the bullies, I either got whaled on worse than ever or I was the one who got in trouble for standing up for myself. Telling my mom didn't work, she had no power. Eventually my parents simply pulled me from public school altogether and homeschooled me. Nita got off rather easy, in my opinion. She was dealing mainly with one group of ~6 bullies; she didn't have 90% of her class beating her up for no reason. And Nita's dad's reaction was basically identical to my dad's. That's why I loved SYWTBAW when I was a kid, and still do; I felt it was one of the only books that described bullying in a way I could actually relate to.

But I do have to agree with the whole "why didn't teachers make a fuss about her black eye", though in today's world I imagine they would jump more to parental abuse than bullying.

RE learning the Speech: Not everyone learns language at the same rate. Yeah, Nita picked it up pretty quickly. So? I picked up Spanish pretty quickly. It made sense to me. And I couldn't understand why most of my class was struggling to learn what was so easy to me. "Hablar=to speak? Hablo=I speak? Ok, I get that. Wait, you're asking me what hablo means? She just said it! I... Yes, I'll tutor you after class. But you're buying me lunch." Plus, we've established that both Nita and Kit and Dairine (those wizards we've been able to get a glimpse into the process of them learning the Art) were pretty smart. Nita was a bookworm, Kit wasn't a lazy student, and Dairine was just... Dairine. It's not a stretch to think they might have worked a little harder than the "average" wizard.

So for someone who just doesn't learn languages that well, I imagine having a little extra assistance can make a lot of difference.

All the rest of the points you raised are interesting, though. Especially the timeline ones, considering the NMEs were supposed to clean up the timeline, not make it worse.

Comment

Stamping library books is still a thing!

There are no coincidences, as Life loves to prove to us.

I recently started at a new college after moving from Colorado to Washington, and today was the first occasion I had to go to the campus library (to get a few books for a paper). The poor librarian checking out the books for me couldn't understand why I burst into giggles when he stamped my books!

And now that I think about it, a small, older library back in Colorado used to ask me if I wanted my books stamped or not (the newer, larger library didn't, though). So it's still around. Maybe not as common as it once was, but still around.

Comment

Bullying

If Joan the bully had been in my school she would have been called a Gang leader. The campus cops would have made her life a waking nightmare. They would have put her in custidy as often as the could have gotten away with it. It doesn'y say in the book, but if Joan was white absolutly NO ONE would have come to her defense.

Comment

On a more physics-y note:

I once did the math on a star of Fred's size shifting entirely to energy. The resulting explosion mass-scattered the Solar System and destabilized the orbit of Alpha Centauri's binary system.

Granted, the Lone Power was throttling it at the time, but there's a very, very fine-tune-edness to the scene that bugs me.

Comment

Soooo. Trouble with the time stamps, huh? For my part, I can't evaluate something unless the information is spread out in front of me so I can see it. It's kind of a summary of the remaining timeline trouble. Sorry if this is boring; but, just in case you're interested, you guys might as well have a look:

Taken from the Errantry Concordance:

Dairine's birth: October 20, 1997
            Nita's birth: April 16, 1995 (wow, my birthday is freakishly close to hers)
            Kit's birth: August 25, 1995*

* I guess Kit didn't skip a grade... Unless he went to kindergarten when he was six and got bumped up immediately.

SYWTBAW:
            May 2008 (late seventh grade - Nita is thirteen, Kit is twelve, Dairine is ten going on eleven)
            DW: July 2008
            HW: August 2008 (beginning eighth grade, Kit turns thirteen at the end of the month)
            <rough year skip>
            AWAb:
            Mid-July early August 2009*
            TWD: Late September 2009 (Nita and Kit are high school freshmen - Nita is fourteen, Kit is fourteen, Dairine is almost twelve)

AWAl: New Millennium Edition is not published yet, but Nita's Mom has to have had someRe the bullying dialogue: ...As for the adults: yes, bullying must be stopped as soon as possible; but sometimes attempts to quash it backfire badly, leading adults to treat it extra hesitantly and cautiously. Particularly parents, who have no power and authority over anyone but their own kid, and mostly only out of the classroom at that: they basically have to go through the school to help their kids when issues evolve between their kids and their classmates. How long does it take for them to realize that is what is necessary? "Is this bad enough?" they ask themselves. "Is it just a phase? I know I got through that time, but is it time to ask for help for my kid?" Shame will delay any request for assistance. If they intervene directly in some way, then probably the bully's parents would jump all over them and accuse them of overkill or harassment or something. And things get worse. Can you blame them for grasping at straws for advice and reacting slowly? At the beginning of SYWTBAW, Nita's parents are caught in the headlights, and she knows it.

Actually, everyone is floored by this situation. I think this is realistic. No matter how much we talk about it as a "problem," nobody I've heard speeches from is confident about the steps that should be taken to solve it besides "take it to the grown-ups." Unless kids know that they will be taken seriously, and also know exactly how their claims will be investigated and what kind of steps can be taken to protect them, they won't do that. Somebody is going to get hurt as time passes, but thinking about the best solution takes time. And just because you've had training in something doesn't mean that you necessarily have the skills to deal with the situation it was for, especially if the training was sloppy or overly hypothetical. People who can easily spout "the" acceptable reaction to any hypothetical situation still choke when faced with the real life situation. In essence...yes, I think this is still a relevant issue to this generation, and not one that I think is misrepresented. Even if SYWTBAW does not depict how people should react, it is the way we often do, whatever other safeguards have been put in place.

And, in the end, giving Nita the power and the tools to solve her own problem is still the best in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by dorotheia View Post
              AWAl: New Millennium Edition is not published yet, but Nita's Mom has to have had some
              WH took place during spring break. I'm reading that now.

It was during AWAl that Nita was seeing Millman*. In WH, the family seems to be on its way towards normalcy, but the pains are still there (such as Nita's memories of shopping with her mother after they run out of food and she is elected to make the shopping list since her dad has no idea what to get).

*I don't recall whether or not Millman was in W@W or his role in in it. Perhaps he was speaking to Dairine at that point still? I believe Dairine said she was going to be seeing Millman towards the end of AWAl, or perhaps in the beginning of WH. There are mentions in WH of Nita's dad talking with Millman when it comes to his language and his attitude towards the exchange when he tells Nita that she should go.
              Last edited by EricG1793; March 5, 2013, 11:51:08 PM.
              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

There's a huge difference developmentally between "A few months before 12" and 13, or even almost 13. That's a time where people go through rapid changes, and even a year's difference really is a large one.

Putting it in terms of school grades, you looking at 5th grade to 7th grade. That might be an easier way to think about it. Think about how drastic people change in those years, and how drastic schools expect you to change.

From the point of view of someone who works with students, people really do mature quickly as they are heading into puberty and what I can expect from them changes. The younger students - 4th and 5th grade, are ones who are much more creative, much lower focus, much faster reward needing, much more everything is a game oriented, while one step up in age (6th, 7th, 8th) you start getting into designing and building things instead, more complex ideas combining, more step by step thought working without prompting when it should be used, and so on.

Working with people those ages, no, I agree, there is a larger difference than you'd expect.

As for the bullying, no really, people are bullied, people are abused, its not all taken care of. It'd be better if people weren't. It's not that good. It's not that adults are bad, its that reality is reality. It's that humans do bad things. It's that its not really as good as you want to think it is. People get hurt. People don't believe that people get hurt or that its as bad as it is even when they care. People don't say anything even though they're getting hurt for various reasons. It happens.
                We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

There's also a huge difference between individuals. One 13-year-old might easily look and behave in a way that'd get them mistaken for someone a couple of years older, or a couple of years younger. Different up-bringing, different climates, different cultures, all can affect the perceived level of maturity. So, of course, can different diets and living standards. Modern Western diets in particular seem to cause children to start puberty earlier. Any generalisations are bound to trip over the range of variations...
                  -- Rick.

Comment

AWAl: New Millennium Edition is not published yet, but Nita's Mom has to have had
                    Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
                    WH took place during spring break. I'm reading that now.

It was during AWAl that Nita was seeing Millman*. In WH, the family seems to be on its way towards normalcy, but the pains are still there (such as Nita's memories of shopping with her mother after they run out of food and she is elected to make the shopping list since her dad has no idea what to get).

*I don't recall whether or not Millman was in W@W or his role in in it. Perhaps he was speaking to Dairine at that point still? I believe Dairine said she was going to be seeing Millman towards the end of AWAl, or perhaps in the beginning of WH. There are mentions in WH of Nita's dad talking with Millman when it comes to his language and his attitude towards the exchange when he tells Nita that she should go.
                    WH is during spring break, as Eric said. W@W is still in Spring Break, heading out of it. Remember, Nita and Kit had to head home early from their part of the exchange, due to the...incident...on Alallu. That's why Ske'ret, Roshaun, and Filif are still at the Callahan's at the start.

I think that Nita might still see Millman occasionally, if she's having a rough patch, or maybe even just in the halls at school. Also, at least at my school, guidance counselors can be pretty involved in academic matters as well (she would probably see him for class scheduling, etc.) And if she needed a special favor, he would be the one that could pull it off.

And I agree about the other issues pointed out as well. The whalesark one always bothered me in particular, and the wizard's relationship to technology in HW as well... Especially since in just the next book, it's mentioned that Ronan has to memorise everything (I'm still kinda confused how he manages that! Is it like the peredixis?)
                    All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Heh, I recant. After reading the New Millennium Edition of The Wizard's Dilemma, I am forced to recognize that Nita and Kit are at the right ages for that book. It think most of the changes really nailed that particular time of life, so now I wouldn't change anything. It's done.

Although I am still a bit bothered by HW, which seems to take place after a lot of time during which Nita and Kit have done "normal routine wizardry" and established how they work as partners. Is four months enough time to do that? After some more thought I can see why HW would need to follow so closely to DW, though: Dairine looked awfully close to taking the Choice even then.

I wonder when the Feline Wizardry books take place on the new timescale? The first one must come some time before TWD at least (it's the one with the dinosaurs in Central Park).

And I agree about the other issues pointed out as well. The whalesark one always bothered me in particular, and the wizard's relationship to technology in HW as well... Especially since in just the next book, it's mentioned that Ronan has to memorise everything (I'm still kinda confused how he manages that! Is it like the peredixis?)
                      Yes. I agree.

...Millman appears in AWAl, WH, W@W (over the phone, because he arranges for the kids to skip school for mental health reasons, as I mentioned earlier). I'm not sure if Nita is still seeing him during AWoM (I think so -- just not as much), but her sister's counselor gets switched to him (I think, it's been a while since I read that book) or to another counselor and Dairine seems to do better with that arrangement (Yay!).

Comment

Comment

I can agree with the 'needs proofreading': I'm doing a complete read of the NM editions now, comparing with the originals to determine if a typo is 'original' or not, and, wel,l there are a lot of new typos in here: I'm wondering if these were made from the text of the original editions before proofing or something.

I'm in the middle of A Wizard Abroad, and the worst so far for typos is High Wizardry, which has on the order of sixty errors -- one every couple of pages -- and some missing pieces of sentences and sentences converted into word salad by unintended textual moves: it even apparently has fewer chapters than the paperback because, uh, two chapter headings haven't been recognized as such or populated in the table of contents.

The worst single typo so far has to be one in A Wizard Abroad, though, where a crucial missing 'not' makes it appear that the Lone Power had not affected this world but had instead created Timeheart (whoops!).

I'm not sure what to do with the resulting giant typo list once it's done: I'd post it here, but it's huge...

Regarding the timeline, yes, it's definitely still a bit flawed, though much more consistent than it was, and seems to pass *awfully* fast: that first year must be the busiest in the history of wizardry. At least there's a nice long gap of most of a year between High Wizardry and A Wizard Abroad but unfortunately Nita then goes and says (in the first chapter) that it had been "only two years, no, two and a half now" since she'd found the manual, which makes her sound distinctly amnesiac!

Still, it's nice to revisit the world again, and the *intended* changes are definitely for the better.

Comment

Hi Nix!

First off, welcome, and great first post! Thanks for sharing your findings. I was entertained by the typo about the Lone Power creating Timeheart.

Personally, I love finding (or being shown) typos and correcting them, so it would be fun at least for me to see your whole list of typos. That is a lot of work, though; I can see why you wouldn't want to do it!

Jesami, thanks to you for posting as well! I was also entertained by your comment about MP3 players not playing tapes.

I have to wonder who was responsible for adapting the original editions for the New Millennium -- apparently not DD. It sounds like it was pretty sloppy. I never really thought it would be worth buying/reading the new editions, and from what you're all saying here, I think I'm better off!
                            Last edited by EricG1793; November 3, 2015, 10:16:32 AM.
                            "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
                              Hi Nix!

First off, welcome, and great first post! Thanks for sharing your findings. I was entertained by the typo about the Lone Power creating Timeheart.

Personally, I love finding (or being shown) typos and correcting them, so it would be fun at least for me to see your whole list of typos. That is a lot of work, though; I can see why you wouldn't want to do it!
                              It is a bit crazy, particularly given that I'm tracking punctuation problems too (ellipses not followed by a space are particularly common). The Wizard's Dilemma appears to be relatively typo-free, so possibly the problems are concentrated in the first four books (really, books two, three and four), but there are so many of them (in excess of 300) that I'm thinking of building a database just to track the damn things to let me output them by position in book or by class-of-error (typo, transposition, dateline messup, etc). One of those would have to be I-don't-believe-this: e.g. Kit's dad being a pressman at a printer's was plausible in the 1980s and just barely plausible in 2000 but, er, that profession is more or less extinct and Kit's dad is not visibly unemployed. Do hot-metal galley presses even exist outside of museums any more?

(I also, I'm afraid, don't believe the new timeline, although it makes more intrinsic sense than the "don't think about it" silent slide into the future of the old timeline. Not only are there conversion problems, e.g. at least half a dozen places where references are made to Nita having had wizardry for two to five years, when, uh, according to the timeline she's only had it for one... not only that, but it's unbelievable despite that: it's too compressed, as others have noted. All of books one to four happened in one year? Plus frequent references to a lot of *other* stuff that wasn't novelized? Nita would be dead of exhaustion by book four!)

The timeline would have made a great deal more sense if it had started in 2006 rather than 2008 and then run forward at about a year per book. That's what I thought was going to happen before I bought the books -- that would have left it back at the present day by A Wizard of Mars. Instead, it's all been jammed into two years! Of course you would then have the problem that Kit and Nita would be having a terribly slow adolescence from the physical point of view, but, hey, that does actually happen to people.

There are some definite improvements in High Wizardry, in particular, and I whooped in geeky joy to discover that the 'cancer viruses' had been replaced with cancer cells in Dilemma without changing their essential, ah, self-justified viciousness, but I'm not sure the sheer typo density makes up for it. You pretty much need the originals of the first few books too, or you'll be very confused in several places where whole chunks of sentences were accidentally excised...

Comment

Working...
                              X