Terminology: Magic / wizardry ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminology: Magic / wizardry ?

Just a couple of things... you're prob. right about Dairine but nita's aunt wouldnt be on the listing near her because shes in a whole different continent Nita would have to look at the section for Ireland to see that,also, i noticed the wording of the oath changes a lot too just the wording though not the content

-Something Wicked This Way Comes
    -Something Wicked This Way Comes

Comment

I can help you with the middle initial: yes, it does change, but it's been mentioned before and the general consensus is it's a Trek in-joke. because someone, I think it was Kirk, did the same thing with their middle initial. (Uh- this is hearsay, it may not be Kirk. )

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
      --Agent M
      Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Mmph. Does that mean that Nita's full name was (temporarily) Juanita Tiberius Callahan? I'd think I'd be rather irritated at my parents for saddling me with that one, esp. being female!

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
        "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

*cracks up* I sincerely hope not. Still, could be worse: could be... oh...
          well, I'm sure it could be worse! somehow!

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
          --Agent M
          Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I can help with a couple of these:

The Aunt Annie thing is explained when she sees Annie in the potatoe field. She asks her and she says something like "the powers wanted us to figure it out" or something...

Some of the rating information could change depending on what you need to know. Daryl's has more because it's in a senior's manuel and they need to know more stats on him. Nita might not have been told her own power rating because it would limit what she thought that she could do. The whole point of getting children to become wizards is that they don't know what's impossible. Telling her that she did or didn't have a certain amount of power might make her hesitate to use a spell that could save the world...
            No idea if that whole bit's true...just a thought...

A Jedi Ewok
            And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and Princess of Pennames...
            A physics geek
            And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

Also, Nita checked hers before she and Kit actually got started on Ordeal, which may or may not make a difference. And the Manual being quite adaptable, not to mention Darryl's apparent Ordeal duration being highly out of the ordinary, it isn't overly surprising that his entry would include more information at that point -- though I think the fact that it's a Senior's manual probably is a better explanation.

Comment

Comment

His full name is Harold Edward Callahan, as you can see in High Wizardry when Dairine's being quizzed to put her name together. Given that I know quite a few people who go by their middle names and/or don't go as adults by the same names or nicknames they did as kids (but their families will still slip into that), I think most likely this is just a background tidbit -- at some point, he went by Ed long enough for his sister to get used to it.

...I bet if he still did, Nita would have called the Master Shark something else.

Comment

The Master Shark and your dad having the same name...now THAT would be interesting...

A Jedi Ewok
                    And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and Princess of Pennames...
                    A physics geek
                    And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

It's kind of interesting (to me, anyways) that the name CAILLEBERT, ARMINA would be in here, because a book I am trying to write has a girl named Ermina, and her sister is a Wizard. BTW, I noticed that Dari's name should have been at least *near* hers, but it's not...

~Rad
                      I love Superchic[k]!
                      The Moosetrix Alaska
                      *Dai'Stiho*
                      ~Rachel

Comment

Mabye Nita and Kit have dfferent ciews on wiz. Or mabye nita just doesn't want to get in on the whole subjec ton differences. I don't know. It is yet another mystery.
                        In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                        X