Oath Haiku (and other poetic forms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oath Haiku (and other poetic forms)

I've been threatening folks in Chime with this thread, and today I'm feeling silly enough to post it. A while back, there was a discussion about the Oath and how it changes, and I guess I thought it would be fun to see it in a few other forms, and I know we've got a ton of poets on this board.

So, let's see who can rewrite the Oath as a haiku (or other verse form of your choice).

For Life's sake a vow
    To always heal; never harm
    I shall use the Art
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Two different, independent versions. Because I rock just that much.
    Also because it is damned hard to condense the Oath, so I took two different angles.

Until all things end
    I will be steward of Life
    Caring, protecting.

For guardianship
    Of all that lives I swear this:
    Defense, and no more.

Anyone brave enough to tackle a pontoum, villanelle, or sestina has my hearty congratulations and a mug of digital coffee. I might myself, once I have more time...
    My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
    OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Oooo! Much more articulate than mine. I like!! And yeah, hard to cram the whole Oath into a single haiku.

Myself, I'm waiting to see if anybody takes on the challenge of a limerick, double-dactyl, or clerihew...
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Lemme try a limerick... XD

Once there was a wizard from Manhattan
        who happened to pass by a broken fan
        Said, "How do you do,
        and can I help you?"
        And was shipped off to a mental institution by a passing man.

aka the forums with the rest of us loons.
        Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Hee hee hee!!! [applause]

I can only think that the first line of a double dactyl needs to start with "temporal clauditing" ...

Comment

Thanks. I love all the others, but no one else is posting.

Poot: *footsteppishes*

*attempts to drag people from chat into it* Rawww, excuses, all excuses...
            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I think because it takes time to come up with something. I mean if someone wanted to do a Shakespearean sonnet, that could take a while.

And geez, a sestina would take forever. Ouch! I mean, if I were going to do a sestina, just picking out my six words would take HOURS...

That's why I said haikus.

to guard and protect
              how life grows naturally
              the Wizard's Oath stands

Comment

in the name of Life
                and Living things I say I
                will serve and protect.

Umph. This is harder than it looks. I am sort of tempted to put it into daft rhyming couplets, since we mention other forms, but I'm pretty sure that would be frivolous and, like, bad.

Still tempted, though...
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Pfft. Go ahead.
                  More haiku, 'cause I'm just that lazy.

Servant, protector
                  All Life my ward and I Life's
                  Fear not eternity.
                  OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                  --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

That last line of papercrane's haiku had six syllables...anywho..I'll have a go.

I've taken the oath
                    in life's name and for life's sake
                    I'll practice the art.

eh...it'll do...

Comment

Ok. To fulfill the trad. haiku restriction of mentioning a season:

summer and winter
                      on guard against entropy
                      'til Timeheart's meeting

And just 'cause I'm feeling daft and rhymy, too...

There once was a wizard named S'ree
                      Who spent all her life in the sea.
                      Said one human senior
                      The moment you've seen 'er,
                      You'll say: "A whale of a wizard is she!"

Comment

Aiyee, Lovebird's right...
                        Just change 'eternity' for 'forever.' I don't like it as much, but hey...what can ya do?

Love the limerick, kli. Ought to win something. First of the category, for one.
                        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

No, no, Gryph's was the FIRST limerick posted.

Clerihew:

Diane Duane
                          Drives us insane
                          Since her publisher can't resist
                          Making release dates drift

Comment

Oh god, I have been so mind-numblingly stressed the past few days...weeks...yeah. I apologize to everyone involved, and will just be shutting up now.

I should be more intelligent and come up with some witty poem(s) to make this post more than one line instead of whining about what I should do. The poem(s) would have been brilliant, I assure you. Let us mourn their loss.
                            --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Oh, dear. Heartfelt sympathies, and much mournful wistfulness of the Lost Poems of Papercrane. Hopefully it's less crazy for you now!

Comment

Working...
                              X