singing the speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• singing the speech

I came across this article about communing with trees and was especially interested in the, um, "music video" - that the plants/trees make, posted via youtube at the end of the article. I wonder if the song of the sea might have anything to do with the music of the trees, or vice versa.... TMU: Tree Hugging Now Scientifically Validated

Thanks for sharing this, something interesting to think about. I do like to believe that plants and other nonsentient life do have some sort of feelings and intelligence, which is what DD is saying through YW. I just can't get my head around the whole translating electrical impulses(?) from the plant into music. Or else it was just a very soothing CD being played that I would love to have.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

In the same "plant" vein, I came across this today.... I guess I'm on the lookout for things which point to plants being more than living in a, uh, 'vegetative state'.... 8 Things You Won't Believe Plants Do When No One's Looking | Cracked.com

Comment

There's a point in AWAl when Harry and Nita are talking about wizardry and talking to non-sentient things, and Nita mentions him talking to the plants, and Harry says something semi-defensively about them growing better...

And then I remember the experiment mentioned in A Wrinkle In Time done by Calvin, who studied the growth of some seedlings by changing their environment: normal, library, and his home life (very negative, loud atmosphere)...as I remember it, anyway...

And there's also the yogurt scene in I AM the Documentary (Tom Shadyac's in it), where a person's negative/forceful feelings actually affect the yogurt's electrochemistry or something...

I have no idea how valid all of these experiments are, and I'm not relating them perfectly accurately, but I do find these brief mentions intriguing, and I wish I knew someone who rate the reports of this kind of thing and the evidence of it as scientifically trustworthy or not.

(Not sure where I'm going with this, it's kind of a ramble that this thread put me in the mind of.)

Comment

sentient trees

So this reminds me of the fact that sentient trees pop up ALL OVER THE PLACE in speculative fiction. Two instances immediately pop into mind - the Giving Tree (Silverstein) and (of course) the forests and Ents and Huorns of Tolkien's LoTR.

Comment

Working...
          X