No announcement yet.

Carmela and The Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no page on the Peridexis on the Concordance, Deus. Did you mean Enacture?

Enacture

From ErrantryWiki

In wizardry -- and specifically, in wizards -- the "embedded" quality which enables a wizard to cause a spell to happen. This quality vests only in beings in whom it has been directly authorized or activated by the Powers that Be. The lack of enacture is what keeps non-wizardly Speech-users from being able to manipulate the universe using the enactive power inherent in the Speech.
    From what I understand, the Peridexis is a strange thing. Can someone correct me - has Nita actually told anyone about hearing it? I can remember that she listens to it and talks back to it, but I can't recall if anyone had ever been told about it.

The discussion regarding "Carmela's Ordeal?" pretty much reached the conclusion that she was missing the "enacture" part of wizardry allowing her to use spells, although I'm still curious as to how she managed to get a worldgate up and running...

Comment

IDK, I tryed looking for it earlyer but, it had something to do with the peridexis and how it made the speech work. that could be it but I cant remember.
      Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

I don't think Nita's told anyone about being able to talk to the "Heart of Magic" - although I think Ponch being what he is, he might have that knowledge. I forgot about Carmela and the WorldGate... that does complicate things more. Maybe it'll be revealed that someone helped her out- was it just Carmela who came as the cavalry?

Spoiler alert: read the next part only if you've read all the books:

If anything, since Nita can talk to the Peridexis, I expected her to be one of the powers, or at least something like Ronan, and not Ponch.

(As I understand it, highlight the black part in order to read it)
        ..................~*Wolf*~..................
        AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
        Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

Wolf: Nita asked on the moon, "Is anyone here senseing the peridexis directly?" but no one was. So yes, she mentioned it, but there wasn't time to talk about it since the whole Roshaun/Pullulus/Ponch thing happened. *sniff* Poor Ro.
          But that only Nita could hear it didn't mean that only she actually had it. As I understand, the Peridexis is the result of the Speech affecting matter- the ancestor, in a way, of a spell, that only wizards possess.

Thus, you can say things in the Speech, and things might possibly answet you, but you cannot physically affect matter without the peridexis- which Carmela lacks.

Hey, that gives me an idea for a fanfic....
          Last edited by SilveredBlue; December 13, 2009, 11:00:53 PM. Reason: accidentally posted before I had said everything

Comment

I was under the impression that the tv put the worldgate in carmela's closet. cause she said it was really helpful.
            ---------------------------------------
            YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
            "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

Originally posted by mythbusterfan View Post
              I was under the impression that the tv put the worldgate in carmela's closet. cause she said it was really helpful.
              Ohh!! Kind of like how she ordered the eggbeater off the tv? I mean, it's not exactly like should could dial 1-800-Alien-Weapons off her phone... hahaa. I like that idea- it makes a whole lot of sense. (I wonder how in the worlds these things get paid for, anyway? =P )

Comment

1-800-Alien-Weapons, lol!

I think that Spot gave the TV the worldgate info when they exchanged "Dataaaaaa"...so the TV can do the spells that Carmela can't.

Wait, does that mean the TV's a wizard???

And I think the payment is in energy. There's a thread about wizardly currency somewhere, I posted on it last night on tht very topic. I think it's in the WH forum.

Comment

That's where my thoughts went too - from what I understood, the TV and DVD player were like that because of "leakage". Then after Carmela shows up again, I had thought that one or both of them could be like Spot - an electronic version of the manual.

Didn't she order the eggbeater through the television? Or she might have got one of her alien chatroom friends to order it in exchange for some chocolate.

Comment

Oh yeah, chocolate! I forgot about that...
                    I think the TV (and DVD player too?) is a bit more than a manual, since it apparently is developing sentience. But then, Spot is sentient too....I'm slightly confused. Where's the line between Manual and wizards? After all, Darine was the Manual for a little while after her Ordeal, and no one can say she wasn't a wizard at that time.

Comment

Okay, once again we are delving into the topics of very-confusing! Let's see... I'll go in order. =)

I do think the TV's kind of like Spot, except it can't be, since Spot is a virtual manual, and Carmela's not a wizard. So... as close as it can be, I suppose? For wizards, the payment is energy, and Alla, I absolutely love your idea about Carmela trading chocolate to her alien friends for her eggbeater!

Also, everyone thought Ponch was like he was because of the "Dataaaaaa" leakage- but maybe it was just Carmela, Ponchy being what Ponchy is? (My GOD it's hard to dance around spoilers! Sorry guys!)

And... I really want to try to make my thoughts make sense on my whole opinion of the Dari being part of the manual... I know it happened and all, but do you think that since she was the manual for a bit, does that mean she was also the peridexis? (oh, i know i'm spelling that wrong!)

So since the tv is just affected by leakage, and I'm putting Carmela under that roof as well, since the tv is not a manual but is wizardly, and Carmela can talk in the Speech but isn't a wizard...... does that make her a pseudo-wizard, and the tv her pseudo-manual???

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        Okay, once again we are delving into the topics of very-confusing! Let's see... I'll go in order. =)

I do think the TV's kind of like Spot, except it can't be, since Spot is a virtual manual, and Carmela's not a wizard. So... as close as it can be, I suppose? For wizards, the payment is energy, and Alla, I absolutely love your idea about Carmela trading chocolate to her alien friends for her eggbeater!

Also, everyone thought Ponch was like he was because of the "Dataaaaaa" leakage- but maybe it was just Carmela, Ponchy being what Ponchy is? (My GOD it's hard to dance around spoilers! Sorry guys!)
                        I'm not sure how she would have paid for it otherwise - I dunno if Terran credit cards would be accepted anywhere outside of our atmosphere.

Wolf: Highlight just in case someone gets narky over a W@W spoiler, although if they're participating in this topic, it means that they've probably read it.

Were you trying to pun about Ponch and dancing around spoilers?

Comment

Everyone thought Ponch was, um, like he was, because there was a 'wizardly leakage' in Kit's house. I think the "Dataaaa" came after they had figured out the existence of leakage. (And I think everyone knows what the leakage really was....)

The peridexis is: "Matter, and the power to do things to matter, she thought. The idea, and the thing you say or do to make it happen-
                          "You're wizardry," Nita whispered. "Wizardry itself."
                          Not quite. I'm peridexis: the combined effect of the words of the Speech and the power that lives within it. But without the ones who speak the words and decide how to use the power, there's no wizardry. It always takes at least three...

So the Manual is not peridexis: it is an index of words. Hope that clears it up slightly!

Comment

Yeah.. Alla, thanks for catching my really bad pun. =P Heehee. I have discovered how to blackout, but I feel like if I just come right out and say exactly what I want, I'd have to blackout my entire post. *rolls eyes* (Oh my gosh. Can you just imagine Carmela trying to use a credit card, and then some strange, slimy alien coming down to Earth to tell Carmela he's an interplanetary creditor? Hahahaaaaa!!) Hm. So I do like Alla's idea. Alien friends buy eggbeater, Carmela gives them chocolate. Very strange trade-off, I'll agree, but I'll daresay I wouldn't like a hershey's bar right next to me at the moment...

SilveredBlue... I think I'm confused now. You mind clarifying in a blackout what you mean by
                            (And I think everyone knows what the leakage really was....)
                            ? Or are we talking about the Pullus and what the Lone Power did to cause the retraction of the Universe? There, I did it. I'm just going to start blacking out parts of my posts.

And I think the debate was more... how intertwined Dari become with wizardry. So... let's rephrase the question, I guess? Would it be, not did Dari become part of the manual, but I guess did Dari become a part of the peridexis, then?

Comment

Sorry for being confusing! The leakage was Ponch, because he was becoming the One for dogs and so there was a lot of excess power hanging around. At least that was the impression I got.
                              There, hope I did the blackout right.

What I was trying to say was that the peridexis was the effect of the Speech on matter, unrelated to the Manual. So Dari would have USED the peridexis whenever she did a spell, but she wouldn't have BEEN the peridexis.

Now I'm sort of confused. I hope AWoM clears things up.
                              Last edited by SilveredBlue; December 17, 2009, 12:26:56 AM.

Comment

Well, there's no blackout in your post... did you do [ spoiler ] and [ / spoiler ] ? (Without the spaces, of course)

I'll agree with you on the source of the leakage... although in my mind it would be a gradual, slow-moving thing- but with the peridexis and the pullus, I sure wouldn't blame the Powers for moving things right along.

And allow me to completly tear through your idea... I'm superconfused as well, now.

What I was trying to say was that the peridexis was the effect of the Speech on matter, unrelated to the Manual. So Dari would have USED the peridexis whenever she did a spell, but she wouldn't have BEEN the peridexis.
                                Okay, the peridexis can very well be the thing that allows the words to work, which as we understand it, is wizardry, right? You, me, Carmela- we may know how to say the Speech, but since we're not wizards, only Nita and Kit can switch the innards of their fridges, no matter how bad we want that chocolate cake. But who was it in here that said the Manual was just a collection of words and definitions and spells?- therefor making it impossible for Dari to literally be a part of the manual. Right there may be the reason we're getting so screwed up. I think what DD meant by that was how she explained it in the book, plaintext and all. Dari "became" part of the manual because she knew all the spells, and all the words of the Speech. (Well, at that specific time, since as I understand it, it's ever-changing) So, I think we're supposed to go, "Oh, okay, Dari became a part of magic itself." Which... I dunno... DD said that she became a part of the manual, but with all excuses, it's just a book, and wouldn't that mean Dari would be a part of the peridexis?????????

Comment

Working...
                                X