Kit + Helena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit + Helena

Okay, so there's not really much to go on, but what are your thoughts on Kit's relationship with his eldest sister, Helena? Did DD create her just to show the contrast, because everyone else was in pleasant shock that Kit was a wizard? Maybe something happened between him and sister? Or... maybe Helena reacted in the exact opposite direction, because she has something to do with wizardry herself?

Your thoughts?
    ..................~*Wolf*~..................
    AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
    Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

I always thought that Helena was the example of how the admission of being a wizard can have uncomfortable consequences, and yet not be so bad that Kit has to cast a spell on her. Either way, hiding that secret or divulging it has personal complications.

In my opinion Helena was probably religious and so she was extra-sensitive. It would sound like dealing with the occult, if she chose to interpret it that way. Since Kit and Helena were distanced by time and age, she might not trust him as much as the rest of the family. It is shocking when the out-of-this-world comes to "real," practical, life. What is "unnatural" comes to be seen as evil, or at least unhealthy, at first glance. It must come from something essentially wrong.

Yet look at the source, and the purpose, of Kit's wizardry! If Helena had something to do with true wizardry, I doubt she would ever think Kit was colluding with the Lone Power.

Comment

Hmm... that's true, I forgot she said that. But it's weird of DD to mention something and then not use it again. It could have very well easily been one of Kit's friends who found out, and because of that, ended their friendship. But Helena is his sister, so... doesn't she have to come back into the picture at some point? It was kinda just a paragraph or two saying how freaked out she was, and then she went off to college or something, never to be seen again. O_O

Maybe in AWoM, something big can go down like before, where Kit and Nita have to miss school, and it ends up being Helena who sticks up for them?

Comment

I actually am writing a fanfic about Helena and Kit! Hmm...she might be in there just to be a foil for Carmela, since they are so utterly different (from what we've seen of Helena). However, I have a feeling that we'll see more of her. Maybe she'll come over when she hears Ponch is "dead"?

Comment

I keep expecting to see her on vacations and holidays, but we've rarely seen her. And wow, I actually had to think for a moment and remember that Helena is also Carmela's older sister! Maybe she'll come and freak out on 'mela when she tries to use an alien "hair straightener" ? Hahaa. Or tries to use the egg beater to make an omlette. Ohmygosh. A scene is blooming in my mind and making me laugh.

Helena is in the kitchen... standing straight and professional, making breakfast for her parents, because maybe one of them isn't feeling well. She looks around the kitchen, searching for a particular object. Near the back door, she finds the egg beater and snatches it up, shaking her head in dismay at the arrangement of the various cooking tools her siblings leave. She picks up the egg beater, points it at the eggs she is readying to prepare, and Carmela walks into the kitchen. "Carmela, I want you to bring this up to mom and dad when I'm done. They're not feeling well, and you and Kit should really start pulling your weight around here."

"Helena, what are you doing?" Carmela asks cautiously, her eyes widening when she sees the tool her sister is about to use. But Helena takes it as disrespect, and scoffs at her sister.

"Just do as I say, okay?" Helena almost snaps, and suppresses a sigh. "There's just no getting to Kit, I would like at least one person in the house to listen to-- "

"Helena, wait, don't!" Carmela says. A second later, Helena turns on the egg beater, points it at the table, presses a button, and a giant explosion renders half the kitchen useless, sending Helena flying backwards and into the refrigerator. Mela stood there mid-gasp, her hands over her mouth in disbelief.

"Oh... oh, no." she whispered, remembering her promise to Kit about Helena and wizardry. She looked mournfully at the kitchen table. "Kit's gonna kill me."
          Last edited by Wolf; December 21, 2009, 09:49:48 PM.

Comment

Wolf, remember that we're not allowed to post fanfic on the board, it can get DD in trouble because if ideas are similar to ones that she uses in books then it can be like she stole the ideas from you.
            We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

I knowww I knowww... it was just a funny little scene that popped into my head... gosh darnit. Well, I'll go back and black it out then. I would like to see some kind of confrontational conversation like that between Carmela and Helena, though...

Maybe it's in AWoM, because now that Carmela has the eggbeater... muahaha

Comment

I LOVE that!! Haha! I might just steal that idea for my fic.

Carmela will have to be more flippant about it though....

I wonder what the relationship between Carmela and Helena is like?

Comment

Hey Tuttle, I just read back my post and I'm sorry if it sounds disrespectful... I was sighing and shaking my head and reminding myself of the rules.

SilveredBlue- Yay! Feel free to steal it away from me. =D

And... wow, yeah, you bring up a really good point. You never really seen any interaction between Helena and anyone, really, but you'd figure you'd see at least a little something between her and her sister...

oOH! Is Carmela due to graduate from high school soon? I'm trying to think of some event that Helena would have to be present for...

Comment

I have absolutely no idea where I read this, but wasn't DD making noises about portraying Kit's birthday in-book at some stage? I may have read this in a chat transcript (or invented the whole thing entirely - wouldn't be the first time).

Helena would have to be home for her brother's 14th birthday, wouldn't she? Well, not 'have to', but it could make a good excuse.
                    Last edited by Space Cadet; December 22, 2009, 02:11:02 AM. Reason: Correcting typo

Comment

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Helena would be making an appearance in AWoM - anyone else? Surely DD'll use her eventually, and I know I'm super excited to see her and Kit interact. I've been terribly curious about her character since she was first mentioned!

Comment

Hmm, where did you read that, Terradragon? Cool name, btw. I don't remember it from the transcripts of interviews....possibly it was in the chats? Ditto on the interaction thing....I'm sure there'll be what Wolf calls "facepalm" moments...(really funny/embaressing/ironic moments)...especially with Carmela in the picture! And Carmela's "thundering herd" too...I wonder what Helena would think of Ronan? Not to mention Filif, Sker'ret, and Prince- sorry, King- Unlikely.

Comment

Haha, thanks!

I wish I remembered. It could've been anytime since WaW came out which was, what, more than four years ago now?

HAHA I CAN ONLY IMAGINE. Wouldn't it be great if she showed up when the whole motley crew is at the Rodriguez's? There is much potential hilarity here.

Comment

Oh. Mygod. I think she'd freak out! Can you imagine her walking in the door from college (is that where she was shipped off to, never to return?) and walking into her living room, only to see her sister conversing energetically with a Christmas tree and a giant bug?

She'd scream, for sure... and then someone else would walk in the room and do some kind of wizardry, or Roshaun would walk in doing something "normal" to him or wizards, but bizarre to everyone else.

God I can't wait to see her reaction. She really is a fan fic character ready to mold- practically nothing there. I can't wait to see how DD uses her.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              Oh. Mygod. I think she'd freak out! Can you imagine her walking in the door from college (is that where she was shipped off to, never to return?) and walking into her living room, only to see her sister conversing energetically with a Christmas tree and a giant bug?
                              I really, REALLY hope DD came up with this scene.

I think maybe Helena was a wizard but failed her Ordeal or something. But that's just me. There's no hint of it in the story, is there? It could easily just be a different reaction to wizardry.

Comment

Working...
                              X