No announcement yet.

Dairine name pronunciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Err, Caitlin, just to let you know there's sort of an unofficial rule that sigs should be kept to four lines or less. Increases the signal-to-noise ratio, and stretches DD's bandwidth pennies a little bit farther.

I had "Hermione" ok, and loved how JKR managed to let folks know via the books how it's supposed to be pronounced. I only knew, though, because I'd seen a production of A Winter's Tale. :-) I used to pronounce Penelope as Penna-lope, though, until someone told me about the Greek final-e thing.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I think I pronounced Hermione like her-minnie it was really weird!!!
      Dai stiho cousins
      ~~~Ezra

Comment

I was really strange, and pronounced it "Hermione" .

Well, now everyone knows how to pronounce the names of Hermione Baddeley (she's in Mary Poppins) and Hermione Gingold (I forget now what I saw her in). I suppose my parents told me at some time how to pronounce their names.
        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

::claps for PM::

there's as many ways to say hermione as there is to spell caitlin (you wouldn't believe some of the spelling's i've gotten)

vv
          PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
          Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

I thought it was Die-reen. That's how it looks to me anyways.
            Oops

Comment

I always confused over it. At first iwas just saying ti like "[B]Dairy anne[/B Dont ask why. Im not sure but then in the middle of the second book i was like "no thAt cant be right"..So i kept working with it. Finally i came to the conclusion of "Die-reen" And i think that is how most of us say it. Omg. I just remeber something. When iwas lettingmy sisters friend borrow the first book. she wouldnt call Nita, Nita she did something like anna or molly. I heard that after a while and i was like "WTFF" (notout loud) so i decided to call her molly and see how she liked it. It was like you freaker you dont change a name of a charcater..i was hurt..i love the name Nita. And for Dairine she did like Besty or some really stupid freaking name. It was just hurtfull to me. I havent let her finish the first book. when we travled i asked for it back. now the books (YW) dont go out of boat..rarly do i let out of my room...lol im protective of them. Really protective. And now when she asks for them ijust say "well they dont go off the boat anymore."..And before she was like "im going to join the YW site." and she has never been on the internet before..she is 10 but mentally like 7 ...Really im not exagerating. My sister even syas she is. She has weridness and hyper ness problems.I mean she has one glass of coke and she is bouncing off the walls. Any way i willkeep rambling if i dont shut up..lol
              Dai all.
              Tori-Blazie
              Love and be loved

Comment

i always thought it was da-reen then again a friend of my dad's who read it insisted it was dairy anne, she says she knew people by that name who spelt it that way.
                I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                X