No announcement yet.

Dairine name pronunciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because it's quite often that they prounce them incorrectly, and having your name mispronounced at you (esp. with american vowels), depending on the person, may be uncomfortable, painful, or even slightly insulting. Or you could have a name like my father's (Zhongxiang, pronounced, roughly, "Djoong-SHANG", "a" like in "father" but often "Zuh-HONG-ksee-ANG", with the "a" like in "late", by telemarketers). So we often try to save both ourselves and others the pain by taking two names. My mother, who hasn't, still often gets her name pronounced "Hoe-ng-hwaaah" (actually Honghua, "Hung-wa", again, "a" sounding like the "a" in "father") at her.

Comment

I see.

Yeah. Ouch. People really should take time to at least try to pronounce foreign names/words right...but hey, this is the grand ole US of A (er, excuse my anti-patriotism. The sooner I get out of here, the better. *sigh* London...)

I think telemarketers make an effort to mispronounce names-- then again, I've heard so many bastardizations of my mum's last name (Cifrino, which is supposed to be "Sifreeno", though we get a whole lot of "Kifrano"s) that I don't think it's just a telemarketer thing after all ^_^

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

I always pronounced it Dai-reen, Dai as in "aye". So I guess Dare-reen is close enough.

My name is Latin, and my family's heritage is British. My brother's name is French. So I don't think it really matters that much in most family's.

Comment

Around the Callahan residence, the pronunciation is dare-REEN.
          Ha! I've been pronouncing it right all along! *feels immense satisfaction*
          We sit together,
          The mountain and I,
          Until only the mountain remains.
          - Li Po

Comment

Its so hard to try and prpnounce this stuff on the compy.. I sorta just skip over her name. thehehe. Usally I call her Dari. Its alot eaiser. *pats Joel on the back* Good for you! Welcome btw!
            ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
            **Neets**
            CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

Same. I didn't really think of how it was pronouced, but I was right anyway.

Hey Joel! I'm Gryph. If you want to get to know the other members here like friends, visit the topic of great randomness sometimes and post there.
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I've always pronounced it da-rine (with a short 'a' sound - sorta like the u in up). to start off with though i kinda glazed over it - not sure what to think/say.

yeah names are interesting... specially when you can't find out exactly where your name comes from ... grrr... 1/3 of the places i visit say that 'alison' is scottish/irish, some say its german and some even say its greek... anyways - i tend to go with the scottish origin cos thats where my family comes from look there's even a place named after my family there!!!

ohh well...
                sleepy time i think

cyas tomorrow - if you're on chat

Alla

Comment

Such a story behind just a name!
                  "just" *conks self on head*...
                  On other matters, my pronounciation-slaughtering was all "dare-ee-uhn."
                  I was so off base and I knew it.
                  I also "blipped" over it, too...I wonder if I can ever change my ways.
                  Does anyone remember the vast difficulties that there were with "Hermione" XDXD?
                  [subliminalmessage:ihavenosockson]

Comment

Like Ed! Reading the long version, I didn't bother to look at each syllable individually... there was such a long mess of them! So he became Edrashnakket. But later Ed.

I think I actually had Hermione right. My best friend was calling her "her-mE-own."
                    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

hey i did that ... no hold on i was saying her-moin ... well that followed english pronounciation

hehe... has anyone ever tried pronouncing Fred's full name?

Comment

Ahhh no. Not Fred's name. I just glazed over it and went with kit and Nita's version. What was it, anyway? Hold on, I have my copy with me.

Wow, Scary...

Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichepreidosd'enagouni

Comment

Wow, I just noticed someting. . .the end of Fred's name is the same as part of what Peach said!
                          Peach: "Dos d'en agouni nikyn toude pheresthai"
                          Fred's name: Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichepreidosd'enagouni. . .
                          The 'Dos d'en agouni' bit is the same. . .odd.

I've actually memorized all of Ed's name. I'm not sure I'm saying it right, but all of it's there.
                          Edrashtekaresket tk'Gshesteasteh
                          Probably spelled wrong, but I don't have the book with me.

The second time I read the books through I was saying Dairine's name right, the first time I left out a sylable or something, it took me a while to get used to it the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by wildflower44:
                            Wow, I just noticed someting. . .the end of Fred's name is the same as part of what Peach said!
                            Peach: "Dos d'en agouni nikyn toude pheresthai"
                            Fred's name: Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichepreidosd'enagouni. . .
                            The 'Dos d'en agouni' bit is the same. . .odd.
                            In fact, they're both portions of an excerpt from the second Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite, as was discovered by PK. (See her reply to my post 'Mysterious Words in SYWTBAW' in 'The Language of Wizardry' section of these forums.) The source of Peach's quote was also discovered a few years earlier by the participants in a USENET thread and verified there by DD. A discovery of the relation to Fred's name was posted there later. This last post is especially interesting on account of its remarks about the possible origin of Fred's nickname.

Nathan
                            Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

I usually say it like dair-EEN but thats just me.
                              Dai stiho cousins
                              ~~~Ezra

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon:
                                I think I actually had Hermione right. My best friend was calling her "her-mE-own."
                                i was saying herm-win. that's just a wee but off.

wow that whole grrek thingus is awesome. although it leads me to want to quote amy tan again (she was talking about thee person who did a doctorate on the symbloysm in the joy luck club) "i only wish i'd been that smart when i wrote the book" but this is definitely NOT the case with diane (DUH)

vv
                                PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                                Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Working...
                                X