Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Callahan's name

This is driving me nuts! My background:

-In SYWTBAW, Mrs. Callahan comes into the room after Nita is beaten up and tells her to lie down. Mr. Callahan suggests sitting up would help the fluid drain. Mrs. Callahan says, "You weren't beaten up enough as a child, Harry."
    -In DW, Mrs. Callahan calls him Harry again, I think while they're on their way to the Moon. Maybe while Nita and Kit are explaining. Possibly when she sees Ed.
    -In HW, Tom comes over and dickers with the computer. He says something along the lines of, "Hand me that manual, will you, Harry?"

But in Abroad, Mr. Callahan's sister (Aunt Annie) says, "I'm going to kill Ed," referring to him. He's called Ed another time in that novel, but I don't remember when. What the heck?!

Anybody got an explanation? I think I remember in TWD his name being Harry again...

AML,
    A Moonlighting X-Phile
    <If all good things must come to an end - than numbers are not our friend!>
    <WARNING: I cannot be help responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.>
    <'Men will fight bravely and be heroes, but for a last ditch defense against any odds, get a mother.' You should recognize that one!>
    And as I sit and talk to you, I see your face go white
    This shadow hanging over me is no trick of the light
    This spectre on my back shall soon be free
    The dead have come to claim a debt from thee
    --The Pogues--

I have noticed this as well. In HW, when Dairine is giving the computer-manual her info, it asks, "Father's name?" And she says: "Harold Edward Callahan."
    Maybe it was a mistake, or maybe he was called by his middle name when he was younger or something. Or maybe it's a nickname. I have no idea.

*Ella*
    "You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."
    --George W. Bush
    *Ella*
    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
    What could mean more than this?"
    --Bright Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by EWizard11:
      I have noticed this as well. In HW, when Dairine is giving the computer-manual her info, it asks, "Father's name?" And she says: "Harold Edward Callahan."
      Maybe it was a mistake, or maybe he was called by his middle name when he was younger or something. Or maybe it's a nickname. I have no idea.

I think his theory is correct because Harry is the short form of Harold... and it must have been a nickname used by Aunt Annie.

*Ella*
      "You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."
      --George W. Bush

Comment

The "middle name" thing makes sense to me. My dad is "Andrew John," and you can tell how long his old friends and family have known him by whether they call him "Andy" or "John."

-Tabby
        the princess with claws

Comment

Wait a minute I thought his name was harry. I going to researh this you better believe it.

Princess_nita0 Night owl,Up till Dawn

I'd rather drink muddy water, sllep in a hollow log, than stay in this town, treated like a dirty dog

I may be silent, but I'm thinking. I may not talk, but don't mistake me for a wall.

A peanut sat on the railroad track, his heart was all a-flutter. Along came a train- Toot-toot-peanut butter!

Comment

Uhm, yeah, I've noticed that too; but it's funny, because I swear I remember it happening in other books. It may be a version thing.
            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
            Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Maybe Dairine was so eager to get started and sift through the junk Spot was giving her that she made a mistake when giving her father's middle name.

Jen26
              "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

I think messing up her dad's name might have had nasty consequences. I know quite a few people who go by their middle names -- I actually had someone call me by mine because she had trouble pronouncing my first name (though I've never really figured out why; neither is that unusual). And I've known people who change what they want to be called, for one reason or another -- but people who got in the habit of calling them one thing tend to keep on, at least occasionally. Maybe he had an Uncle Harry who was close to the family and went by Ed until he decided, "You know, I like my first name better."

In short, I think Tabby's right. *grins* Harry for Harold, Ed for people who got in the habit of calling him by his middle name for whatever reason. We might get the story sometime, or not, but I think his having both names is adequate to say it's no mistake.

Comment

That's true. I'm just pointing out a possibiliy.

Jen26
                  "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

yes i agreee

i'm the queen of insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I agree with the whole middle name theory. A lot of people call other people by their middle names anyway.

Comment

Zombie thread is back from the dead...

It would be funny if his flower and landscaping business were called "Dirty Harry's" (get it?) since the Clint Eastwood character is in fact "Harry Callahan"
                        Ardub
                        r:w)

Comment

Working...
                        X