No announcement yet.

Questions about character ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, M you are normally 14 and turn 15 in 9th grade. But I was thinking that in the 1st book it said that they were in 8th grade.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
    "Wizards do not tell white lies to make each other feel better." ~A Wizard Abroad
    ~Sam (Hifun55)~
    Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
    HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
    My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

Yeah but that makes sense. SYWTBAW is at the end of the school year I'm assuming and then Deep Wizardry, High Wizardry, and Wizard Abroad are obviously during Summer Vacation, then Dillema is when school starts again, so it'd make sense that'd they'd be in 9th grade doesn't it?

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
      "To youth and freedom!" A popular pirates toast.
      *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

Yeah, well the first couple books (at least up to #3) obviously take place in the Eighties, judging by the computer the family acquires, but in the recent books its obviously contemporary, given Kit's sister watches Pokemon and the family has acquired an iMac. But I seriously doubt 15+ years have passed. The whole dating/age thing is really screwed up.

Just ignore it and accept that they're getting older.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Mollmann:
          Is there anywhere I go that you won't show up at?

Yeah, well the first couple books (at least up to #3) obviously take place in the Eighties, judging by the computer the family acquires,
          As well as the explicit dates in Deep Wizardry.

but in the recent books its obviously contemporary, given Kit's sister watches _Pokemon_ and the family has acquired an iMac.
          Shouldn't that be, Spot's evolved into a Power Mac G3 Cube (and then into something else further on)?

Given that Spot was initially an Apple IIIc+ - a model which never existed - I can buy it being something along the lines of a Mac XL; that is, it's a Mac running emulator software so it acts like an Apple III-compatible machine, but it's still a Mac at heart. (The Mac XL was a Lisa running an emulator to act like a Mac.)

If you presume something like that (which'd also explain how Spot can turn into further Macs and still work), and assume that they're simply about a decade behind calendar-wise, it all works.

Of course, DD's afterword for the 20th anniversary rerelease of So You Want to Be A Wizard throws that theory out the window....

Just ignore it and accept that they're getting older.
          Oh, they're definately getting older. That's never been in question. What's been in question is when they're getting older.

--
          Grr. Argh.
          --
          Grr. Argh.

Comment

Originally posted by ATimson:
            Is there _anywhere_ I go that you won't show up at?
            Andrew Timson!

Right, now, this is seriously scaring me. tell me what other places you frequent, and I'll make sure of making a point to avoid them...

And where's your customary avatar?

Star Wars: Betrayed Federation
            A full-cast audio drama featuring the tale of two Jedi Knights investigating the assassination of a Trade Federation Viceroy in the days nine

Comment

Right, now, this is seriously scaring me. tell me what other places you frequent, and I'll make sure of making a point to avoid them...
              Umm... TheForce.net is the only other place that I can think of offhand.

Besides, it's not your fault you have such good taste.

And where's your customary avatar?
              Waiting for Lee (the administrator) to upload it--supposedly outside-hosted avatars are run through the board's server before they're sent out, increasing bandwidth usage and costing DD extra money--a bad thing. So recently they've asked people to stop using them, and I complied.

--
              Grr. Argh.
              --
              Grr. Argh.

Comment

Long ago Rowen Avalon wrote
                It seems that Kit and Nita are 12 and 13 in the first few books, but Dairine's age confuses me. Personally, I don't consider 11 'years younger' than 12 or 13
                In the 1993 Corgi paperback edition of _A Wizard Abroad_, near the bottom of page 192, it says
                ...Dairene walked into the kitchen: ten years old, small, skinny and bright-eyed...
                I hope that clears that up!

Selden
                Selden

Comment

I am pretty sure that nita and kit are younger then 8th grade in SYWTBAW, or at least Kit:
                  "Uh, yeah. A couple of teh eight graders found me last Monday. They were up teh woods with BB guns, and there i was working..."
                  This is the first time Nita meets Kit.
                  It seems to imply that Kit is not in eith grade, he refers to them as "the eight graders" rather then "the other eight graders" or something ti that affect.

"In life's name, adn for lifes sake..."

"Wizardry does not live in the unwilling heart."

"'Kit, the dog just asked me what the meaning of life is.'

'Give him a dog biscut, and tell him it's an allegory.'"
                  "The Second Law of Thermodynamics shows that disorder inevitably tends to increase in the Universe as time passes. Entropy is a measure of this disorder. Living things are not exempt from the Second Law of Thermodynamic

Comment

Working...
                  X