Questions about character ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about character ages

I am still confused as to the ages of the characters, so I'm compiling a list of all the evidence I can find so we can look at the solid facts. Help in this task would be much appreciated. Danger level will not excede Mild. ;P All page numbers are in reference to the new mass market paperbacks [the ones with the photorealist covers].

SYWTBAW
    in Prologue, pg.28 - 'Dairine was eleven years old, redheaded like her mother, gray-eyed like Nita, and precocious;'

in Preliminary Exercises, pg. 56 - ''Your birthday's August twenty-fifth[]'
    'Uh-huh.'
    Nita looked at the symbol for the year. 'They skipped you a couple grades, huh[]'' [I can't do question marks for lack of shift key.]

in Major Wizardries, pg. 357 - 'Two, small, nervous-looking figures were heading for the south-facing rail in the bright sunlight. A dark-haired girl, maybe thirteen, wearing jeans and a shirt and a down vest; a dark-haired boy, small and a touch stocky, also in jeans and parka, twelve years old or so.'

High Wizardry
    in Search and Retrieval, pgs. 68-9 - 'And Nita had been offered her wizardry relatively early, at thirteen; Kit even earlier, at twelve. The thought of what problem the Powers must need solved if They were willing to offer the Oath to someone years younger -- and the thought of her little sister in the middle of it --'

AWAbroad
    I believe that somewhere in this book it says that Nita is 15. If someone could find me a reference ...

AWD
    Still looking for the quotes about what grades Kit and Nita are respectively in.

Current analysis - It seems that Kit and Nita are 12 and 13 in the first few books, but Dairine's age confuses me. Personally, I don't consider 11 'years younger' than 12 or 13. Also, if Kit is skipped 'a couple grades,' he might be in a high grade than Nita. Because his birthday is so late in the year, he should be a very young 7th grader. Skipping a couple grades would put him in at least 9th, where as Nita can only be an 8th grader without skipping grades.

Please assist me in this quest for truth. ;D

Yours till the bed spreads,
    Rowen Avalon
    mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
    Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
    "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

I am still confused as to the ages of the characters, so I'm compiling a list of all the evidence I can find so we can look at the solid facts. Help in this task would be much appreciated. Danger level will not excede Mild. ;P All page numbers are in reference to the new mass market paperbacks [the ones with the photorealist covers].

SYWTBAW
    in Prologue, pg.28 - 'Dairine was eleven years old, redheaded like her mother, gray-eyed like Nita, and precocious;'

in Preliminary Exercises, pg. 56 - ''Your birthday's August twenty-fifth[]'
    'Uh-huh.'
    Nita looked at the symbol for the year. 'They skipped you a couple grades, huh[]'' [I can't do question marks for lack of shift key.]

in Major Wizardries, pg. 357 - 'Two, small, nervous-looking figures were heading for the south-facing rail in the bright sunlight. A dark-haired girl, maybe thirteen, wearing jeans and a shirt and a down vest; a dark-haired boy, small and a touch stocky, also in jeans and parka, twelve years old or so.'

High Wizardry
    in Search and Retrieval, pgs. 68-9 - 'And Nita had been offered her wizardry relatively early, at thirteen; Kit even earlier, at twelve. The thought of what problem the Powers must need solved if They were willing to offer the Oath to someone years younger -- and the thought of her little sister in the middle of it --'

AWAbroad
    I believe that somewhere in this book it says that Nita is 15. If someone could find me a reference ...

AWD
    Still looking for the quotes about what grades Kit and Nita are respectively in.

Current analysis - It seems that Kit and Nita are 12 and 13 in the first few books, but Dairine's age confuses me. Personally, I don't consider 11 'years younger' than 12 or 13. Also, if Kit is skipped 'a couple grades,' he might be in a high grade than Nita. Because his birthday is so late in the year, he should be a very young 7th grader. Skipping a couple grades would put him in at least 9th, where as Nita can only be an 8th grader without skipping grades.

Please assist me in this quest for truth. ;D

Yours till the bed spreads,
    Rowen Avalon
    mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
    Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
    "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

THis has nothing to do with the topic but, Nita isn't wearing a down vest on the cover of SYWTBAW.

Comment

*sighs* Whoops, I let this one slip, didn't I?

That Abroad quote: I'm too lazy to go get the book, but the quote you're looking for is "I'm not even 15 yet-" which to me indicates Nita's nearly 15, but not quite. Therefore, I'd guess she turns 15 sometime between Abroad and Dilemma; so her birthday's probably in late summer, and definitely between midsummer and Christmas. So she's still 15 in Alone.... and in Holiday, when it gets out. Therefore, Nita's 15, Kit's 14, Dairine's 13-or-so. Nita's still 13 in HW... so we skip nearly two years between HW and Abroad. Huh.

Gottit.

Tuibird in Aotearoa
        Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
        Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
        Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
        My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
        Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Comment

Kit is IN NITA'S CLASS!!! That means they are in the same grade, right? If so, according to the posts above, Kit only skipped one grade. However, I am not quite sure that this is an inconsistancy. It was Nita who said something like "You must have skipped a couple of grades." Nita could have been exaggerating purposly to get Kit annoyed about the fact that he looked younger than he was.

Jen26
            "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

si, dai all

i'm the queen of insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

jen26- I agree with you, because if you remember, kit is only 1 year younger than everyone else

I can think of nothing right now
                Have you ever wondered whats out there? have you ever looked? Will you ever imagine what actually is? Who knows if you do you might be the first to realize what actually is out there.

Comment

Okay I just realized something. In High Wizardry Nita says that she's only been a wizard since March, and I'm assuming High Wizardry takes place at the beginning of July, So that's about four months, but Nita says that she was 13 when she took the Oath and in High Wizardry she's 14, so obviously her birthday is sometime in between, she also says that Kit took the Oath at twelve and she said that he was 13 in High Wizardry, But they're still 14 and 13 in Wizards Holiday.... I guess that that's not too weird but it just seems like they've been wizards for longer then about a year.....

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
                  "To youth and freedom!" A popular pirates toast.
                  *Agent~M*
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                  "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                  "I could live

Comment

no, i see where that came form, i got confused too

Comment

bleh!!!! from, not form

Comment

Hey wait... I'm re reading A Wizardr Abroad now and Nita says that it was two and a half years ago that she found the manual, but she's still fourteen! If she was fourteen in High Wizardry and she became a wizard only four months and then suddenly it's two and a half years ago... I'm confused.

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
                        *Agent~M*
                        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                        "I could live

Comment

That can't be right either because of one her age, and two her grade. Because it says in Dilemma that she is now in 9th grade.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                          "Wizards do not tell white lies to make each other feel better." ~A Wizard Abroad
                          ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                          Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                          HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                          My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

9th grade is normal for a 14 year old isn't it?

*Agent~M*

*Agent~M*
                            "I could live

Comment

Originally posted by marniebrown1:
                              9th grade is normal for a 14 year old isn't it?
                              Yes, it is. I figure the ages are just frelled, and use the most recent reference.

--
                              Grr. Argh.
                              --
                              Grr. Argh.

Comment

Working...
                              X