DD's Wizards at War background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD's Wizards at War background

I downloaded DD's Wizards at war background and have it set as my background right now (I downloaded half a dozen and change then every few days) and I'm just a little confused on the words:

DD:
    Three true things await discovery

Darkness overspreading a commorancy underground

...And the moon is no dream
    The second line is clear enough to me; it's the... pulullus, is that what it is/how it's spelled?.... And it's overspreading the Moon in the picture (which is REALLY cool, by the way, excellent art, DD! ). However I don't see what this has to do with three true things awaiting discovery.... And the moon being no dream....

I have somewhat of an idea what this all means, but only about half of it. Could someone explain to me what this means, whether DD herself or someone nice enough to clear up a fellow member's confusion....

Thanks!
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

I'm not entirely sure about the first line, but i know that "moon is no dream" is talking about Nita's precognition. About the dark side of the moon, and how they ended up on the dark side of the moon at the end of the book. That's just my thought, I could be wrong in some sense..
    Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
    Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
    It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
    Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

They're quotes from the book. It was one of Spot's prophesy things. The darkness overspreading is the pullulus, the commorancy underground is the Yaldiv people, and the moon is no dream refers to nita's dream
      Worlds biggest fangirl...future star of broadway...dictionary for the forum...in love with way to may fictional characters...You can call me Nate, everyone else does...I wonder if, when I finish my book, I'll have an awesome website with cool forums

Comment

I downloaded that one too. Now I know what it means. Yay!! It really is cool looking. I also downloaded a couple of more. And I also looked at some of the Young Wizards shirts. I thought they were cool. I especially liked the coffee mugs. I wish I had some cash.
        Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
        Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

the first part, "Three true things await discovery:" simply means that there are three things, three truths that are going to be revealed, or discovered. That's it, essentially. I hope I answered your question...?

If so, glad to be of service.
          just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

Hey, (I just now noticed this) but I remember from A Wrinkle In Time (Madeline L'engle; excellent book and a must read!) that a pulullus, or a pulullus type thing, was mentioned. Do you think that DD has continued on with that? Or do you think that her pulullus is original?

Just wondering cause I know that DD's mentioned the late M. L'engle a few times as a good YA book writer.
            Meow! ... care for some lore?
            WoW

Comment

You're right! In A Wrinkle of Time it's called "The Dark Thing". And DD's pulullus and the Dark Thing are very much alike.

Yes, I read A Wrinkle in Time for a literature group project last year. It was OK, I thought. It was pretty suspenseful.

Tualha, I never would have thought of that. Great observation!
              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Yay! I did something right! *dances*
                But back to business...
                Something I noticed about WaW that goes back to AWA(B?) [a wizard abroad]. I think that's the first book where Nita experiences the "Knowledge." It gets more advanced, right? I mean, I remember that in WaW, she actually hears it and gets spells from it and like ... talks to it or something
                o_O;;
                So yeah
                am I right? or way off?

oh, and what is that form of the Knowledge? I forgot ..
                WoW

Comment

Actually the thing where Nita's experiencing the "Knowledge" and talking with it.... That's called the Peridexis, I'm pretty sure. They're two different things.

*Mutters to self* Pulullus, Dark Thing. Two things making the Universe bad. The Peridexis: one of the Powers That Be that is inside Nita's head and has nothing to do with A Wrinkle in Time. */Muttering* Did I get that straight?

Comment

Oh, so it's a Power? So ... is that foreshadowing of some sort? Is Nita gonna get more powers? I.E. faster spell casting? etc.,

and I mention faster spellcasting because if the Power is in her head, that'd be like an instant link to the manual, right? (cause she did get information like that, didn't she?)

>.<;;
                    WoW

Comment

In Wizards at War, the Power leaves Nita. Hold on.... *Rummages through collection of Young Wizards book within reach on desk. Aahhh, I'm so glad I keep the books on my desk for immediate reference!*

Yes. The One's Champion, the Defender. When the Pulullus made Nita and the rest forget the Speech, and couldn't to wizardry, etc. the Defender came out of Nita and went against the Lone One, but when the Defender did that, it weakened the form It was in, so It went back in to Nita's mind. Page 474, paperback version.

Having the Defender in her mind gave Nita extra energy for spell making if she really needed it, and advise.

This started out related to DD's Wizards at War background, but it's not really anymore....

Comment

Sorry, Eric, but I think you're way off there. The Defender was "St. Michael the Bloody Archangel", and it was embodied in Ronan.

What was inside Nita was the peridexis, which was wizardry, but a form of it she could actually speak to. That didn't seem to me to be the same as the Powers that Rhi'ow normally spoke to in the Whispering, but rather the Whispering itself. I think.
                        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

*Reads in a less rushed pace* Ah, yes. It was when Ronan threw the Spear at the Lone Power, and then the Lone Power made the spear go back and hit Ronan, and it unleashed The Defender from Ronan. I was confused, because after The Defender restored wizardry and the Speech to Nita and the others,
                          "...The burning form of the Champion was fading, slipping away out of the physical world. I can't stay any longer inside time, It said in the depths of Nita's mind, and the others'. This embodiment ended too soon: I have no more power to spend. No hurry! It's up to you."
                          -Wizards at War, Page 475

See, the part AND the others' should have made me reread sooner, but it didn't register with me because I didn't read a lengthy enough section to understand.

So, when the Defender restored wizardry, the peridexis came back. I remember now.

OK, I think we about have everything straightened out now.

Comment

Nope, still working on it. :-) I don't think the Lone Power sent the spear back to Ronan: the text states fairly clearly that the LP was never the intended target, and that it looped around him and came back, rather than being rejected by the LP.

And the Defender didn't exactly restore wizardry: he removed the LP's block on wizardry, so it started operating normally again.
                            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Not only does the One's hampionremove the LP's block on wizardry, but (pg. 474)
                              "And though there's only one thing I can do, now- thanks to him, it's the only thing that needs to be done. You've done everything else for us; you yourself triggered the whole cycle of events you most desired to avoid...So as you interrupted my work once before, now I interrupt yours. And what was trying to happen, now has one last chance."
                              He turned the LP's work against him, which in my terribly disorganized mind is the work of an evil genious, or in this case, just agenious. (sorry, 'just' is not the best of words, but it fits there)
                              ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

Working...
                              X