Tendencies in YW fanfic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tendencies in YW fanfic

Okay, so.. I've been looking around for Young Wizards fanfiction recently on fanfiction.net. One thing that annoys me is how most everyone supports Nita/Kit and/or Dairine/Ronan. And yet, what bothers me most is how a lot of people just have Nita and Kit off doing a random thing, say, walking to the store, and then all of a sudden they stop and exclaim "I LOVE YOU!!" and kiss passionately. Or better yet, Nita's with Ronan while Kit's with the 'Girl of the Week' - then, oh yeah, whoops! sorry people, just realized I'm in love with somebody else, hey lemme dump you real quick and go see my best friend so we can kiss passionately!

.....there's almost no originality. I see no original characters being paired up with Wizards (which is actually a good thing), no fics trying to explain various things.. no Carmela fics, at all! Just Wizard romance.. Whatever happened to going ouside the box, a bit? (I'm messing up my sayings, aren't I..)

I personally am beginning to favor Dairine/Kit. However one-sided it may be.

....I'm sure this has been hashed out a million times before, but does anyone have stuff to add?..

[This message was edited by Kano on 28 November 2003 at 7:26.]
    -- Kano --

i am the shadow in the corner of the room

That might be... interesting. Provided Kit and Dairine could ever see past "my sister's wizardry partner/my wizardry partner's annoying younger sister." It would take several books to grow into; as I recall, Kit is about 14 or 15 by this time, and Dairine is about 13. And how would Nita react if Kit and Dairine started dating? I can see a lot of embarassment all the way around.

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

*snort* Somehow I doubt that'll happen. Kit thinks Dairiene is just as annoying as Nita does. And also, meteorite, they don't age... Nita is still 14 and Kit is still 13, Dairiene is either 11 or 12....

*Agent~M*
      "Those who refuse the Powers, become the tools of the Powers, Those who agree to help the powers, Themselves become the Powers. Beware the Choice! Beware refusing it!"-Young Wizards books.
      "Do what the night tells you, and read the fine print before you sign!" -Peach.
      "In the Cookies of life, your friends are the chocolate chips" -Sam
      *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

mmm... I'm neutral on the whole partnrship issue, because Nita/kit doesn't bother me and nor do other ships. (Funny, I'm not usually this inclusive, how strange...) However, there is an excellent nita/OB fic by Reana. Very good (and unfinished, arrrg.) Reana's long ones are good...

Oh, and Persephone Kore. Her stuff (co-written, most of it, with Alan Sauer, IIRC) is EXCELLENT. (yeah. Guys. Go read it!!!)
        *mutters under breath* yeah, I think that's all I had to say...

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
        --Agent M
        Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hmmm... I think this might be the exact reason why I haven't written a fanfic yet. People won't let you do what you want to do!! Writing a fanfic is supposed to be fun; playing the situation out as you want it, or think it should go. Okay, yeah, sometimes people can be redundant, but HEY! it's their story!! *shrugs* I dunno... Just a little thought from my little brain at 2:20 in the am.

\\ d o w n w a r d | i n c l i n e //
          in my field of paper flowers

Comment

I want you all to know that this conversation has somehow set me picturing Dairine writing X-Men or Star Wars fanfic, and it's absolutely hilarious.

And, um, thanks, Tui. *blushes* Yeah, all the YW stuff I have posted is cowritten with Alan, and a fair amount of the rest.

Though it should probably be recalled that we aren't supposed to discuss specific fanfic ideas here, before we approach a danger zone. *g*

That said, however, I will point out that "shippy" fanfics generally do form a large proportion of those in a lot of fandoms, sometimes more overwhelming than others. I think the lack of Carmela fics is probably because we really didn't see that much of her until the recent book; I think the likelihood of minor characters getting snatched up for fics increases in proportion to the number of fics and to the number of fans who feel everything they could think of for the major characters has been done already. As for the explaining things... well, DD doesn't drop plotholes left and right the way some source materials do (*cough* started with X-Menfic myself), which cuts down on the "explaining"-type fics, though she does leave questions open long enough people could theoretically play.

That said, however -- Christine, the only person who could really stop you is DD herself, and I don't think she cares to, so it's not a matter of letting. People can criticize your story, of course, but that's the risk of posting. (Granted, some readers might be inclined to put up more encouragement for those that stand out in terms of quality and, er, nonrepetitiveness, but then I suppose some of the stuff that keeps repeating -- including the overall tendency toward romance -- is generally due to getting positive response.)

Comment

Working...
            X