Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me... (Star Wars references in YW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Doctor Who and I have not got a clue what you lot are on about?!?!?!? Mind you I'm have big problems with my memory at the min!!! Was this Cafe with Doc who in it froma book/comic or one of the films??? Maybe thats why I don't understand cause I only ever wached the films when there on telly and watched some of the t.v series as well!!!
    Fox
    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

The cafe was in High Wizardry - see Rysade's post for where in the book it was.
      The Doctor was the Peter Davison Doctor, who wasn't actually in the TV series when High Wizardry was published .
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

ok, now I get you!!! I remember the cafe bit I just did not understand the bit about the doctor!!! I think I know what your geting at now!!! And theres me thinking it was a Wizard going to work!!! hahahhaha
        Fox

Comment

I still don't understand and I probably never will. There are a lot of refrences in these books that I never realized!
          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
          **Neets**
          CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

It's simple. Remember that series you haven't seen, the one with the Daleks that you haven't heard of? Well, DD has seen it, and wrote the main character (version #5) into a scene in High Wizardry.

See, so simple.

And I saw every episode from Peter Davison's time as the Doctor, and I still didn't recognise him!

Comment

PM you know when DD puts in all these other char from other stories, would it not be like 'cross over' in a comic/graphic novel? do you know what I mean? I'm new to Comics but I know cross over is when to differant story lines intermingle, like in Fathom, you have Witchblade in it as well as Lara Croft!! So what DD has done really is the book version of comic cross over!
              Fox

Comment

I suppose so. Another one I missed was the author of the book So You Want To Be A Wizard - the one that Nita found - who is Herewiss Hearnssen, the main character of Door Into Fire etc.

There's a Star Trek novel called Ishmael by, um, Barbara Hambly or someone, in which there's a cameo appearance by the second Doctor. But it turns out that if you saw a US TV series called "Here Come The Brides" (which I didn't) it starred Mark Lenard... and in the novel that character becomes a sort of father figure to Spock. (Mark Lenard played Spock's father in Star Trek, for those who didn't watch it.)

Edit: Amazon confirmed it was Barbara Hambly that wrote the book I was thinking of.

Comment

Barbara Hambly wrote The Time of the Dark, Walls of Air, and Armies of Daylight. I loved those books! It's a series, just I don't know what the series is called.

Ahh, no! A short post. But I can't think of anything else to type...
                  Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

PM--the only reason I knew it was the Doctor in High Wizardy was 'cause DD told me it was gonna be. I've only ever seen the Tom Baker Doctor. And the author of the book in SYWTBAW? is only given as "Hearnssen", but that's easily translated to Herewiss s'[on of] Hearn for those who've read the Door books, and if not, it's fun to find later.

Ishmael actually, overall is Here Come the Brides-meets-Star Trek. The entire setup of the mountain, the girls needing to get married, Biddy, Aaron Stemple (the Mark Lenard role), and the brothers is all directly taken (names unchanged) from Here Come the Brides. Oh, and one of the other Brides actors was David Soul. I keep re-reading to see if there are any Starsky & Hutch injokes, but haven't found one, yet.

Fox: it's not so much a crossover as an 'in-joke' (jokes only recognized by those inside the knowledge), a cameo (a brief appearance of a notable person), or an hommage (an echo of something else as an affectionate gesture).

A crossover is more a-character-of-equal-weight crossing over into another character's setting, by mutual agreement of the creators involved. Like the Green Hornet showing up on Batman, or Angel and Buffy, or your Witchblade/Lara Croft. It happens in comics a lot, because of the "shared-universe" aspect, and different creators having the same boss/editor.

DD's also done something known in sf fan circles as "Tuckerizing." That is, sticking in the names of real people you know into your fiction. A lot of the crew lists in her Star Trek novels include real names of friends. And, of course, the most massive Tuckerizing DD's done was in Stealing the Elf-King's Roses, when she named her heroine "Lee Enfield."
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                    X