Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alla
    replied
    Cassi, next sunday morning, at I think it will be 7am for you, there is a DD chat - as in DD comes along to our chat room and, well, chats. Its usually good fun. But now you had to have RSVPed to Lee to say that you're coming along. If you haven't never mind. They happen once every month or so (sometimes two). Be warned that over winter you might find that they're suddenly at 5am in the morning

Leave a comment:

• Cassi
    replied
    I know you're all really nice people but right now I hate you all.... Grrrrr...... I am burning up inside with jealousy. Oh......... I haven't actually 'talk' talked to authors except Terry Denton. But I have been to groups where an author has talked ummmmm... Phillip Gwynne and Margo Lanagan.

Leave a comment:

• LilaCatsfoot
    replied
    I've met Ursula Le Guin at a book signing. And she spoke at a conference I attended. She's wonderful: so down to earth and sassy and brilliant. Lois Lowry spoke at another conference and it was obvious that she is just a born storyteller.

Leave a comment:

• singer
    replied
    welcome!! that's interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Jeepers Tseepers
    replied
    Eek! It's my first post in the Young Wizards forum!

I've met Neil Gaiman a few times and chatted with him a little. But he chats with everyone who tries, so that's not special. I also emailed back and forth with him a couple of times regarding some sciency stuff he once brought up in his LJ. But I've never really chatted at length with him.

I met Terry Pratchett once but chatted for only about 5 seconds, because I have an unusual name and he asked me about its origin.

And, finally, I met Susanna Clarke once but didn't really chat with her at all, as it was one of her very first signings and she was clearly a bit nervous and withdrawn. (Almost a year later I saw her again at a Neil Gaiman/Susanna Clarke discussion after which she signed. I waited with my friend on the line so she could have her book signed, and when we got to Susanna, they chatted a little bit about Buffy and the way people elevate canon above pop culture and much of the writing in television and the sci-fi/fantasy genres. It was pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• PosiCat
    replied
    I've only gotten to meet one of my favorite Authors, Joan D. Vinge. She was kind enough to autograph my very well-worn (not abused, just read that many times) copy of Alien Blood. (1/2 of my online name is derived from that books main character)

Leave a comment:

• singer
    replied
    Holly Black wrote yesterday on her LJ:

I'm also happy to report that I am four days from turning Ironside in to my NEW editor

ALL RIGHT! any other Holly fans here happy too. 3 whole days away from editor. how long will it take?

Leave a comment:

• Alyson-Devereaux
    replied
    I've met Isobelle Carmody, and seen heaps of other authors - Scott Gardner, Lisa Forrest, mostly Aussie authors. There's this big writers' festival near me every August, but they mostly only get Australian authors. My friend was in Sydney when Tamora Pierce was a couple years ago - MAJOR ENVY!

Leave a comment:

• Dragon Writer
    replied
    I talked to author once. It was the author red scarf girl, and it was at the school library. The librarian thought I would like to meet her. I actually got an autograph, but I lost it a long time ago.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy Li
    replied
    Originally posted by Mel:
    ... Other than that, I haven't met any other authors. Except DD in a chat, but that doesn't count, does it?

*sigh*
    I think it counts. At an average book signing, you get maybe a minute or so with an author, and when DD comes to chat, we get a whole hour!

Gryphon wrote:
    I've met Jane Yolen and her daughter in real life before. ...
    Auntie Jane! [squee!] Isn't she wonderful? I remember one convention where she told us ghost stories at midnight. That was fun.

Jennifu wrote:
    I've talked to a couple of authors, but they weren't that famous. And no one ever tells me when book signings happen by me (and I don't bother to check).
    Well, if you wanted to check for DD, the News blog is a pretty good source. For me, it's pretty easy, since I'm on the mailing list for my local bookstore, Mysterious Galaxy, and they list all their signings on their website. A lot of bookstores do that these days, as well as authors and publishers putting tour schedules up on their websites.

Leave a comment:

• singer
    replied
    Holly Black? Really? *squee* *bounces up & down in cirlces* Where? How?? What!? ((spazzed))
    yes, she's so wonderful. I love bothering Holly. i'm on her livejournal friend list. well, she's on mine really. blackholly is hers.

----
    you've met Tammy! i just emailed her. what's she like?

"Well, I ain't going smell it if that's what you want." Mr. Beaver, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

[consolidated double-post. --kli.]

Leave a comment:

• Jennifu
    replied
    I've talked to a couple of authors, but they weren't that famous. And no one ever tells me when book signings happen by me (and I don't bother to check).

Leave a comment:

• Gryphon
    replied
    Holly Black? Really? *squee* *bounces up & down in cirlces* Where? How?? What!? ((spazzed))

I've met Jane Yolen and her daughter in real life before. This was in elementary school, and the school paid for her daughter to come and talk, but Jane Yolen came too, and there were book signings.

As for local signings and that sort of thing... I'm completely oblivious, but then... they'd probably be hours away at the closest.

I've only talked to DD through chat, but that's awesome enough *huggles* .

Leave a comment:

• Mel
    replied
    I've had a whole buncha signings by some minor authors I still don't know the name of. Some of their books were pretty good, but they weren't spectacular, hence me forgetting their names. ( By the way, this is at my school. An author or illustrator comes each year, just like Kes 22)
    We had a pretty cool bunch of illustrators, though, and they were pretty good. some of them.
    The drrawback was that we didn't get to see them sign the books or talk to them personally. They stood up on stage, had a presentation, answered questions, stuff like that. But it was still pretty cool.

Other than that, I haven't met any other authors. Except DD in a chat, but that doesn't count, does it?

*sigh*

Leave a comment:

• Kes 22
    replied
    I've been to signings of Tamora Pierce (3), Christopher Paolini and That Guy Who Wrote the NaNoWriMo book. Back in elementary (K-5) school they'd have an author come in and lecture us but it's no one I really liked. I was so upset when they had Bruce Coville the year after I graduated that school.

I've written to K. A. Applegate (and gotten a response) I'm in Sherwood Smith's LJ community (where she frequents).

I've missed a lot of stuff too. Like a near-by (1 hour away) Neil Gaiman signing I heard about the night it was happening. And a George R. R. Martin signing that was 2 hours away that I meant to go to but then it just didn't work out. I've also missed all the DD chats. *sad*

I would totally do something drastic (which probably involves raising the dead) to go to a Douglas Adams signing. I'm very envious, Peter Murray.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X