No announcement yet.

talking with authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good way to meet authors is by going to conventions. It helps if the conventions are smaller. Of course there are signing sessions and programme items with authors on panels and so on, but I've also had interesting conversations with quite a few authors in convention bars, green rooms and dining rooms as well. You never know who you might meet...
    -- Rick.

Comment

I just recently attended a seminar on "How to Publish Your Book Now", by Diane Wolf (Do you read her books?). Anyway, she owns her own publshing comany and one of the things she said was to go to events, meet publishers, take a picture with them, and send it with your query letter so they remember meeting you. So, when she took a break in the seminar, I came up to her, and introduced myself, asked her a question, then had my dad take a pic. of us together. It just so happens that she publishes teen fic and self help (yay). At the end of the seminar, she then wanted to take a pic. of me on her digital camera! (that's all I/m going to say b/c I don't want to jeapordize anything or disclose too much just in case.
      The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

Originally posted by bookgirl View Post
        And she's funny too, she was telling a story about someone that had be really rude to her and she said it didn't really bother her because she said "When someone is rude to me I just make them a victim in my next book."
        "Given a choice, offend the warrior. He can only kill you; a bard can make you immortal." :-)

Originally posted by bookgirl View Post
        Kathy Li, you're right, authors give the best book recommendations!
        Not just books -- I never would have stuck with Sailor Moon for any length of time if Diane hadn't plugged it once. :-) (I still haven't watched very many episodes, but Ael's taken the time to watch several of the series on YouTube.) I'm waiting for easy access to the original version on DVD before trying to get into it seriously -- after how the US version completely butchered the last two episodes of S1, I didn't want to bother with watching the whole thing. (And yes, that statement doesn't make much sense if you think about it in too much detail.)

Ael once started a story where the Magic Tree House kids met Hagrid -- and she gave it to Mary Pope Osborne at a signing. :-)
        Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; April 27, 2009, 03:57:21 PM.
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post

Not just books -- I never would have stuck with Sailor Moon for any length of time if Diane hadn't plugged it once. :-) (I still haven't watched very many episodes, but Ael's taken the time to watch several of the series on YouTube.) I'm waiting for easy access to the original version on DVD before trying to get into it seriously -- after how the US version completely butchered the last two episodes of S1, I didn't want to bother with watching the whole thing. (And yes, that statement doesn't make much sense if you think about it in too much detail.)

Both you and DD are Sailor Moon fans???? Wow. And yes they did butcher the final two episodes, but I love the music from the dub.

Sorry, I digressed from the topic. Another author I'd really like to meet is Maria V. Snyder. I love her books. (Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study)
          "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

I've talked to only ONE author before. I think her name's G. L. Giles or something along those lines.

We had a really good discussion, not about books though. Mostly about what moonlight is and then how you have to get over being shy to get your works published and along those lines. I must have talked to her for about an hour or so~
            It would be great to talk to more, and I envy those of you who have D: authors hold really good discussions :3
            Time is only as you see it...

Comment

I am such a very nervous person when faced with fame that I can't really say I've talked to any authors in person. I have a few signed books, but I don't think anything came out of my mouth other than a squeaky "th-thank you!"

I did have some brief back-and-forth with Mark Oakley, the author of the comic Thieves & Kings. He email me because I addressed something incorrectly, and it went from there for a few days. Highlight of my life, hurrrrr.

And on the subject of knowing authors... My friend Hannah's mum is an author. The wildest thing is that Hannah shows up in her articles/stories a lot (hence why I'm not naming names). It's disconcerting. Though I understand how it feels, a bit. My boyfriend has a few webcomics and also makes animations, and it's really strange when conversations we've had or things I've done show up in his work - This scenario, for example, was a discussion we had one night after too much wine.
              (click on House's head after the credits to see an easter egg that maybe three of you will understand)
              I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

Originally posted by singer View Post
                i've chatted with DD and Holly black and Tamora Pierce.
                I am soooooo jealous...

Comment

Working...
                X