talking with authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holly Black wrote yesterday on her LJ:

I'm also happy to report that I am four days from turning Ironside in to my NEW editor

ALL RIGHT! any other Holly fans here happy too. 3 whole days away from editor. how long will it take?
    the most amazing band in the world... The Science of Sleep... www.myspace.com/thescienceofsleepar

Comment

I've only gotten to meet one of my favorite Authors, Joan D. Vinge. She was kind enough to autograph my very well-worn (not abused, just read that many times) copy of Alien Blood. (1/2 of my online name is derived from that books main character)
      -Positronic Cat
      (I have sat between the great lion statues, hoping for a glimpse of the future.)

Comment

Eek! It's my first post in the Young Wizards forum!

I've met Neil Gaiman a few times and chatted with him a little. But he chats with everyone who tries, so that's not special. I also emailed back and forth with him a couple of times regarding some sciency stuff he once brought up in his LJ. But I've never really chatted at length with him.

I met Terry Pratchett once but chatted for only about 5 seconds, because I have an unusual name and he asked me about its origin.

And, finally, I met Susanna Clarke once but didn't really chat with her at all, as it was one of her very first signings and she was clearly a bit nervous and withdrawn. (Almost a year later I saw her again at a Neil Gaiman/Susanna Clarke discussion after which she signed. I waited with my friend on the line so she could have her book signed, and when we got to Susanna, they chatted a little bit about Buffy and the way people elevate canon above pop culture and much of the writing in television and the sci-fi/fantasy genres. It was pretty cool.

Comment

welcome!! that's interesting.
          the most amazing band in the world... The Science of Sleep... www.myspace.com/thescienceofsleepar

Comment

I've met Ursula Le Guin at a book signing. And she spoke at a conference I attended. She's wonderful: so down to earth and sassy and brilliant. Lois Lowry spoke at another conference and it was obvious that she is just a born storyteller.

Comment

I know you're all really nice people but right now I hate you all.... Grrrrr...... I am burning up inside with jealousy. Oh......... I haven't actually 'talk' talked to authors except Terry Denton. But I have been to groups where an author has talked ummmmm... Phillip Gwynne and Margo Lanagan.

Comment

Cassi, next sunday morning, at I think it will be 7am for you, there is a DD chat - as in DD comes along to our chat room and, well, chats. Its usually good fun. But now you had to have RSVPed to Lee to say that you're coming along. If you haven't never mind. They happen once every month or so (sometimes two). Be warned that over winter you might find that they're suddenly at 5am in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepers Tseepers:
                  Eek! It's my first post in the Young Wizards forum!

Welcome!

I've met Neil Gaiman a few times and chatted with him a little. But he chats with everyone who tries, so that's not special. I also emailed back and forth with him a couple of times regarding some sciency stuff he once brought up in his LJ. But I've never really chatted at length with him.

Still, might be more special when he doesn't do signing tours any more. He's been saying in his blog, that they're not as much fun to do any more, and he'd rather do stage/reading events, now.

I met Terry Pratchett once but chatted for only about 5 seconds, because I have an unusual name and he asked me about its origin.

Yeah, I never know what to say to him. I've met him twice at signings, and gotten to talk to him for about five seconds each time. But he's very nice. We talked new Doctor Who. His favorite episode was the one about the kid with the gasmask for a face.

And, finally, I met Susanna Clarke once but didn't really chat with her at all, as it was one of her very first signings and she was clearly a bit nervous and withdrawn.

Sounds like a British thing. But I'm incredibly envious. I'd love to meet her. I am so hoping she doesn't take ten years to write the sequel to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

(Almost a year later I saw her again at a Neil Gaiman/Susanna Clarke discussion after which she signed. I waited with my friend on the line so she could have her book signed, and when we got to Susanna, they chatted a little bit about Buffy and the way people elevate canon above pop culture and much of the writing in television and the sci-fi/fantasy genres. It was pretty cool.

Yeah, I love signings just because you not only get to meet the author, but you also get to hang out with other fans, and it's a meeting of the tribes. It's also why conventions are so much fun. I really wish I could get to the Discworld convention this year: DD and Terry Pratchett! But, alas, I've already made plans to attend Worldcon, and it's the week before.
                  Last edited by Kathy Li; April 22, 2009, 04:09:53 PM.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

i'm fixing to write a letter to Brian Jacques who my quote comes from.

Comment

I've never actually attended a book signing or gone to any sort of convention. (I think I have borderline social anxiety disorder, those sorts of things kind of terrify me) But, when I was much younger and very much into Piers Anthony, and the Xanth series in particular, I used to send in letters to him with pun suggestions and whatnot. I never expected to get a reply, but he actually wrote me back, all three times. I still have those letters.
                      Nanu nanu.

Comment

I once sent a letter to the Star Trek folks asking for a job. I claimed to be a "Rihanha studying to be a level 7 computer expert at the Brown University branch of Starfleet Academy", if I remember correctly. :-)

I got a letter back saying something to the effect of "Sorry, we're not hiring, and the Rihannsu aren't canon, so phhpt." :-) I may still have the letter packed away at my parents' house somewhere, but I haven't seen it in years.
                        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I've spoken with authors who aren't all that famous, and some children's authors. Anne Mazer and I had an ongoing correspondence a long time ago because I had to do a letter assignment for school...

...And while I don't know if this counts, Anthony Rapp (from the musical Rent) did this book signing tour that came to my town and I got to talk to him.

And I also emailed D.J. MacHale and got a pretty cool letter back. But I've never met him or even chatted with him.

...I'd love to meet almost all the authors mentioned in this topic, though. Lucky people.
                          ---
                          Interesting (adj.) - Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?

Comment

I've written DJ Machale too! I love how he always responds to every email he gets, regardless of how many there are.

Oh, and as for actually meeting an author, I know Orson Scott Card pretty well. You see, when I lived in NC, I met one of my closest friends, Kaitlin, there. Turns out, she's his niece! (Hehe, I didn't believe her for a whole day ^^;; I kept going, "Are you serious? You must be joking!") So, while I lived in Greensboro, I was able to take part in part of one of his plays (he produces one every year--that year was Fiddler on the Roof) and when I visit Kaitlin, I usually get to see him as well. (Spent 4th of July at his house, too! Sooooo awesome! Yay, sparklers and salmon...) ^-^ We played this fun electronic Taboo-like game, then "Wise and Otherwise", played with many sparklers, ate all sorts of wonderful things...played some ping pong and whatnot....So, cool beans. ^-~

Oh, and recently I met Chris Crutcher. He was interesting :P
                            ~~~~~
                            You know when people see a cat's litter box, they always say, "Oh, have you got a cat?" Just once, I want to say, "Nope. It's for company. Help yourself. Make yourself comfy. Take your time."

Comment

Angel you are so lucky
                              What were you in Fidler when you got to do it
                              That Is so cool
                              I really wish i had met any authors but i haven't

Comment

I want to meet Lowry, one of the few authors that goes to entirely different worlds every time and I am still interested in the books (not to mention one of the few authors that doesnt write in series that I read her books.) Plus isnt she the only lady to have won 2 newberry medals (one for Giver and one for Number the Stars, both of which were great.) Oh and I want to meet Card too think you can introduce me :-D.

Comment

Working...
                                X