Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steganographic gift

Summary:

The ability to deduce or intuit content and sometimes even context from written or drawn linguistic "raw material" without having previously experienced or studied the language in question. The ability is normally [[perimagia | perimagial]] in origin.

The gift's name is derived from the cryptographic term [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography steganography], which normally involves embedding encrypted material in other content in such a way that the presence of the encrypted material is not revealed. Steganography in the wizardly sense, however, involves the derivation of the language "payload" itself from the written material, sometimes even when the samples involved are relatively fragmentary.

When [[Rodriguez, Carmela E. | Carmela]] finds that she is able to extract some information from written material in the [[Cave of Writings]] underneath [[Arsia Mons]] on [[Mars]], [[Mamvish]] suggests that she may be starting to manifest some form of the steganographic gift, possibly due to her relatively intensive studies of the [[Speech, the | Speech]] and (recently) her interaction with various alien cultures that use it as a [[Discourse, language of | language of discourse]]. ([[AWOM]])

[[Category:Theory of wizardry]]
    [[Category:Characters]]
    [[Category:Spells]]
    [[Category:The Speech]]
    [[Category:Linguistics]]

More...

WHAT??? This has spoilers!!

And I'm glad, heehee. Carmela will be on Mars! woohoo!

Comment

Okay... who or what is Newsbot and is this an actual member? And why is everything in brackets? It just started showing up and confusing the heck out of me... and... AHHH!! SPOILERS!!! AHHH!! BLACK OUTTTT!!!
      ..................~*Wolf*~..................
      AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
      Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

I THINK that the Newsbot is a 'bot that automatically posts any changes to the YW wiki. It's registered as a member so that it is able to make posts, but I seriously doubt that it is a human.

Comment

In the original entries in the Errantry Concordance (click 'Encyclopedia' in the top bar of the youngwizards.com main page) the terms in brackets are hyperlinks to other entries.

Reading the Errantry Concordance is enlightening. You can see the things DD thinks about while planning the books, things that never actually make it into the story, or which are there but are never specifically stated. Most authors have this extra material attached to their worlds, but most do not make it available to their fan bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Okay... who or what is Newsbot and is this an actual member? And why is everything in brackets? It just started showing up and confusing the heck out of me... and... AHHH!! SPOILERS!!! AHHH!! BLACK OUTTTT!!!
            If I remember correctly, this business appeared in the AWoM chapter material that was posted until late last year. All the same, it is spoilery... I should remind DD to flag AWoM material as spoilery for the time being.
            Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
              I THINK that the Newsbot is a 'bot that automatically posts any changes to the YW wiki. It's registered as a member so that it is able to make posts, but I seriously doubt that it is a human.

Ahaaaaa. That makes sense. I was so confused cuz it was happening all of a sudden. And a lot.

Anyone wanna remind me what a stenograph is? =P

Comment

stenograph(y) = to write in shorthand, the act or art of writing in shorthand
                stenographer = one who quickly transcribes the spoken word, (as in a court stenographer)
                steganography = to hide words in plain sight (as in a picture, or using some other media to distract the eye from the words)

Comment

ahaaa. thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    Okay... who or what is Newsbot and is this an actual member? And why is everything in brackets? ...
                    Mea maxima culpa. I set up Newbot to check the RSS feed for all the new entries from the Errantry Concordance Wiki and put 'em up as posts/threads in this forum. This is because I am lazy and don't want to have to check in a separate place to see what DD's been adding to the Concordance. Stuff is in square brackets because the Wiki text is grabbed wholesale without any ability for us to filter and reformat for HTML/BBCode.

I also set Newsbot up to grab any new entries on the RSS feeds for the Big Meow blog, the Raetian Tales blog, and the YW News & Events blog and to post them in the appropriate fora (Feline Wizards, DD's Other Works, and YW News & Events, respectively).
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Enfield-Burke View Post
                      If I remember correctly, this business appeared in the AWoM chapter material that was posted until late last year. All the same, it is spoilery... I should remind DD to flag AWoM material as spoilery for the time being.
                      Whoa...wait. There was AWoM chapter material posted last year? Or is this referring to the chapters that were posted in the subscription area?

In regards to the Steganographic gift, that sounds amazing. Can you imagine how cool that would be to have in real life?! Then again, I am horrible with languages other than English (I can get by in a sort of pidgin Latin, but that's not spoken...or useful, except when reading Middle English. I digress.) and think it would be cool to be fluent in another language. I wonder how that will play out with Carmela however...
                      Last edited by seabiscuit1009; January 7, 2010, 10:32:20 PM.

Comment

Having just purchased WoM at a local Borders, I'm catching up on past messages related to it, so my apologies for adding a comment to this ancient thread.

Note that
                        steganography
                        is not a misspelling of
                        stenography

stenography is the use of one of the formal shorthand writing methods so you can write quickly -- to keep up with someone talking, for example.

steganography is a form of cryptography. It's the hiding of information in another medium. A common form hides messages in pictures. Superficially the picture looks like what you'd expect. It's not at all obvious that there's a hidden message.
                        Selden

Comment

Working...
                        X