Harry Potter and Young Wizards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and Young Wizards

Hi there. I am new to the forum, and I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. Since the series has ended in the books and is soon coming to a close in the movies, I am rereading Percy Jackson and i have been wondering about these Young Wizard books. Can someone who is a fan of both series please give me the low down on these books, and, knowing what I like, let me know if I will honestly possibly enjoy these books by Diane Duane?

Thanks!

Sharon(who is an almost 38 year old who loves kids books and is proud of it!)

I'm 21, I've read all 7 HP books multiple times, and I love both series immensely! HP is more about what would happen if some humans had magical abilities, and includes politics and such. The YW series is what would happen if some people had wizardry in order to help slow down entropy in the universe. The main protagonists, Nita and Kit, make an Oath to become wizards and use the power given to them to help promote growth, ease pain, and defeat the Lone Power (who invented death and entropy).

Basically, HP is almost pure fantasy. YW is a fusion of magic/wizardry and technology. It's very sci-fi AND fantasy oriented. I think you'll definitely like how it's written, and my recommendation is to read through the first book (So You Want To Be A Wizard). For some it may be a little slow at the beginning (just like the beginning of Sorcerer's Stone) but it picks up well, and by the end you'll probably be hunting around for the next one (I know I was!).

Comment

Wow. welcome to the forums! I love the YW series and, personally, it is the best series I have ever read. I started reading the series right after Harry Potter, which I am a big fan of. The Young Wizard Series is a series about two wizards, ( Nita and Kit ) who take the Wizards Oath, promising to slow down entropy, which is the death of the Universe, to guard growth and ease pain, and fight to preserve what grows and lives well in it's own way... now I better stop before I type the entire oath! The series is a great one, and is not exactly your average fairy tale, I can tell you that much! There are a lot of surprises that you won't be expecting, and one of the very many things that makes the series so good are the characters. They all have their own personality and are easy to relate to. There is a great element of adventure and wizardry, but wizardry to me is not waving a twig in the air, saying a command, and having my pet puppy turn into a sofa. ( Don't get me wrong, I Adore the Harry Potter books!) The wizardry in the YW series seems more real to me because you can make mistakes, they are far more complex, and to me personally, just more fun!!
      So, I hope you like the series, ( It's hard not to! ) and happy reading!!!!!
      Last edited by nita13579; June 13, 2010, 01:43:24 AM.
      "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

I like to compare the two series thusly:

Harry Potter is the mythology of the wizardiing universe. Rowling mixes classic stories of good vs evil with magical creatures, a hidden society, and other facets of wizardry ore such as alchemy, wands, broomsticks, and the like.

YW is about the science of wizardry. Duane uses real scientific knowledge to explain her characters' use of wizardry and almost makes the magic its own character in doing so. It is more of the right touch of sci-fi with a lot of fantasy. She mixes the good vs evil idea with sci-fi/fantasy elements such as parallel universes, intelligent life on other planets, intelligence within our own planet's flora and fauna, and even realistically makes communication between species viable.

Harry Potter is really a single story contained within seven books. It is about Harry and his friends and their adventures between the ages of 11-17. Everything is seen through Harry's eyes in the third person.

YW is a series of connected stories contained within now nine books. They are about Nita, her friend Kit, and her sister Dairine and their adventures. Nita begins at 13 and by the ninth book, is 14. Kit is a year younger than her with Dairine about three years younger. All books are done in third person and are seen through Nita's eyes, but sometimes in other books, we see through other characters' eye as well such as Kit's in books 5-9 and Dairine's in books 3 and 7-9).

I highly suggest them as equal to Harry Potter, if not surpassing the series in some respects.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X