Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you read Jacques / Nix / Stewart / Peretti?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you read Jacques / Nix / Stewart / Peretti?

Brian Jacques?
    Garth Nix?
    Paul Stewart?
    Frank Peretti?
    the most amazing band in the world... The Science of Sleep... www.myspace.com/thescienceofsleepar

I've read all of Brian Jaques books in my library system and Garth Nix. Not Paul Stewart or Frank Peretti.
    the most amazing band in the world... The Science of Sleep... www.myspace.com/thescienceofsleepar

Comment

I've read some garth nix, and some jaques. the jaquez was kinda boring though, so i haven't read it since.

in garth nix i've only read some of the house ones. you know, like mister monday, drowned wednseay, ect.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

...and eyes, sweet as honey, soft as moss, that hold in their black vessels the bitterness of old wounds and the tired peace of growing wisdom.

Comment

Neets, you should try Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy. In my not so humble opinion, it's probably one of the best fantasy trilogies out there. Most of Nix's other work is aimed at a younger audience, though.
        ---
        seabiscuit1009: there is nothing wrong with getting snogged by Andrew

Comment

Of Garth Nix I've read THe Seventh Tower series, The Keys to the Kingdom series, and Sabriel (I think. Ive read the first one of the Abhorsen series).
          "Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance!" I would rather be hated for who i am than be loved for who i pretend to be!
          "People...stop being mean to each other.
          Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane in chat.
          "T

Comment

The Seventh Tower was good. I liked the idea with the shadows, but I think Phillip Pullman's daemons were a lot more interesting/well thought out. Actually, the story was just better in general.
            ---
            seabiscuit1009: there is nothing wrong with getting snogged by Andrew

Comment

I've read the two Veritas Project books by Peretti, Hangman's Curse (I also have the DVD of the movie ) and Nightmare Academy. Supposedly there are supposed to be more books in that series, but I haven't seen any yet...but anyway, the series is really awesome!
              ~Rachel

Comment

I read the first of the Redwall books ages ago, and while it was good and I enjoyed it, I kept wondering the whole time why he'd bothered making the characters mice, since they didn't act very mouselike or have mouseish concerns.

I like Garth Nix, and I'm constantly confusing him with Pullman in my head. The Sabriel series is probably the strongest but you get slightly diminishing returns with each book. The Seventh Tower and Keys to the Kingdom series are a little more for-kids and formulaic, but still good reading. Shade's Children is hard sf, and struck me as being mis-shelved in the kids' book section. It's good, but there are sexual matters and some grosser imagery in it, so I'd say it's for mid-teens at least. Haven't gotten around to reading Ragwitch yet.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Keys to the Kingdom:

Mister Monday
                  Grim Tuesday
                  Drowned Wednesday
                  Sir Thursday

Abuhorsen:

Sabriel
                  Lirael
                  Abuhorsen
                  ( The Creature in the case)

Comment

I've read the two Veritas Project books by Peretti, Hangman's Curse (I also have the DVD of the movie ) and Nightmare Academy. Supposedly there are supposed to be more books in that series, but I haven't seen any yet...but anyway, the series is really awesome!
                    I tried to find out, he's writing more.

------------------------------------------------

i hate to be like this but the mice are not the only Abbey Warriors.

Martin (mouse)
                    Mariel & Dandin (mice)
                    Samkin ( squirrel)
                    Mattias ( mouse)
                    Mattimeo (mouse)
                    Martin (mouse, son of Mattimeo)
                    Arven ( squirrel)
                    Dannflor (Dannflower, Squirrel)
                    Denya (otter)
                    Triss (squirrel)

There are no humans in the Redwall books so all creatures act human-liuke.

Comment

singer: it turns out I have read the abhorsen series... or most of it. lol, i just forgot. I like the first the best... hated the third, and liked the second.
                      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

...and eyes, sweet as honey, soft as moss, that hold in their black vessels the bitterness of old wounds and the tired peace of growing wisdom.

Comment

i'm the same way on that.

Comment

my favourite Books by Garth nix are the Seventh tower series. and i've read brian jaques once. too boring for me.

and i've never heard of the other authors.

later
                          -MBF
                          ---------------------------------------
                          YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
                          "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

Originally posted by singer:
                            i hate to be like this but the mice are not the only Abbey Warriors.
                            Yes, but the non-mice characters still aren't acting particularly like their respective species, either. The same point holds.
                            There are no humans in the Redwall books so all creatures act human-liuke.
                            And that works fine for a lot of readers, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it. But for me, if you tell me a character's a squirrel but he doesn't behave like a squirrel in any way, I have a very hard time believing it.

I don't have any problem reading books with anthropomorphized animals (not to mention watching tons of Disney films). Robert Lawson's Rabbit Hill is one of my favorites in that regard (not to mention Mr. Revere and I, and Ben and Me.)
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

yes, but squirrels do climb trees, eat nuts and all things squirrels normally do. it's just a fantasy series. in Fantasy anything can happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X