Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More!! (aka Book / Series Recommendations)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More!! (aka Book / Series Recommendations)

Does anyone have favorite titles that they might want to share with someone who loved this series, and hated Harry Potter? If not, I am going to blow up with reading-of-good-fantasy-book deprivation..!

MOOOOOOO!!!
    (And yes I did just say MOOO as in moocow.)
    Perry, the weirdest person you'll ever meet
    The aspiring Jupiter lander

Does anyone have favorite titles that they might want to share with someone who loved this series, and hated Harry Potter? If not, I am going to blow up with reading-of-good-fantasy-book deprivation..!

MOOOOOOO!!!
    (And yes I did just say MOOO as in moocow.)
    Perry, the weirdest person you'll ever meet
    The aspiring Jupiter lander

Comment

Chech out the posts in Chatter (About 8)
      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
      Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
      Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
      Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
      My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
      Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

3 words: his dark materials

Comment

wizFan, thank you! Really nice to meet someone who doesn't want to read Harry Potter and loves something better .
          My personal favorite authors are (besides DD):
          Tamora Pierce (everything! )
          Mercedes Lackey (Valdemar world, Free Bards, Elemental Masters series)
          Anne McCaffrey (Pern, Talents series)
          Tamora Pierce's books are supposed to be teen literature, but it hasn't stopped me.
          Hope you'd enjoy at least some of that! Let me know!

Comment

Try reading more works of Diane duane such as the _Door Into Fire_ and the _Door Into Shadow_ actually, you can get both in _The Sword and The Dragon_ .Also the _Book of Night With Moon_ is very good too , and it's sequel, _To VIsit the Queen_. The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe, I didn't read it, but it sounded good.

In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness, and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood...now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, hold hard the breath, and bend up every spirit to its full height!
            William Shakespeare

Comment

Bass... I think you're thinking of The Hitch-hiker's Guid to the Galaxy, a Trilogy in Five Parts, by Douglas Adams. And yeah, it's GREAT.
              T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

I liked The Perilous Gard....also everyone should read Sophie's World! Read Sophie's World!!!

*Ella*

"I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha, ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia', but only slightly less well known is this: 'never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line'! Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha!"
                -The Princess Bride
                *Ella*
                "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                What could mean more than this?"
                --Bright Eyes

Comment

Jostein Gaarder is FABULOUS.

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Yes he IS!! I'm reading The Solitaire Mystery now. It's a little confusing, but so very good!! Sophie's World, however, sparked my interest in philosophy. Everyone should read Sophie's World. I especially enjoyed it because it was a novel as well as a history of philosophy.

*Ella*

"I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha, ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia', but only slightly less well known is this: 'never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line'! Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha!"
                    -The Princess Bride
                    *Ella*
                    --Bright Eyes

Comment

*nods* Agreed, etc... have you read The Christmas Mystery? I re-read it every Christmas- it's more simple than his other ones (and much more religious) but it's still fantastic.
                      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

The Christmas Mystery...no, I haven't, but I'll definitely try that one...do you know of anything else he's written?

*Ella*

-The Princess Bride
                        *Ella*
                        --Bright Eyes

Comment

City of the Beasts!!! Only 4 people including myself have read it and it didn't get high reviews from any of them, But it's REALLY good, at least in my opinion. I think that the Da Vinci Code looks good too.

*Agent~M*

EVERYONE MUST READ CITY OF THE BEASTS!!!!! (I sound crazy but I don't care)
                          "Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
                          Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
                          "Do what the night tells you, and read the fine print before you sign!"- DW, Picchu
                          I lost my marbles, PLEASE HELP ME FIND THEM!!!!!!!
                          *Agent~M*
                          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                          "I could live

Comment

Through a Glass, Darkly. That one's very religious. Umm.. Can't remember any others, though there are some.
                            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Meg Cabot's good. Ummmm, Hawksong is a REALLY good book. Faerie Wars. I thought that one was going to be really dumb, but it wasn't.

My all-time favorites (besides DD) are Tamora Pierce and Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials. Those have already been mentioned, but I have to second them because they are AWESOME books. You MUST read them. I'm writing in A LOT of capital letters. Please forgive my hyperness. I had more Coke than is good for me.

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
                              I will rejoice in the moonlight;
                              I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
                              For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

Working...
                              X