What to Read While Waiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Read While Waiting

Sooo, I didn't see any thread like this anywhere (granted, I tend to get a bit loss when trying to find things on here), so if there is one out there, let me know.

Lately I find I've been extremely picky when it comes to books, which is a bit disappointing since it makes finding books all that much harder. And I'm currently waiting on sequels to just about ALL of the series' I'm currently reading.

So I was hoping people could point me (and anyone else looking for something to read) to a few they enjoyed.

Anyone looking for books, please give examples of what you have liked, and possibly why.

Anyone posting book names, please try to keep it to what searchers are interested in. I'd like this to be a recommendation thread, not a list of likes/dislikes. At least for the first while, if this thread ends up taking off, then feel free to take some leeway.

So, some books that I enjoyed:

-Young Wizards by DD (obviously)
    -Stardust by Neil Gaiman
    -The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    -Graceling by Kristin Cashore
    -Evermore by Alyson Noel

I like paranormal teen novels that are well written with some romance in it. I usually get dragged into a series because of it's characters first, story later.
    I do also read romance novels, but I'm picky, and some adult fantasy novels.

So, any recs out there?

The first thing I would recommend (besides HP, which is an awesome series) would be the Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle. They say it's a children's series, but I think a lot of children's authors are better writers than adult authors.

I'm not sure if you may be into this one because there isn't really a fantasy element, but I think it's extremely well written and has an awesome storyline. It's a series by VC Andrews that starts with Flowers in the Attic. Four kids get locked away in the attic and they escape. There's more to it than that, but I don't want to ruin it for you. After that one it's Petals on the Wind and If There Be Thorns. I haven't read it since middle school-ish.
    2 Saxy 4 u 2 Handel...

Comment

Try Maximum Ride, by James Patterson. It's a good series, although the short chapters can get a little annoying if you read fast for the plot. The author likes to crank up the suspense, but you can't always end in cliff hangers every 3 pages. JP tries, though. There's some romance, although it doesn't kick in totally until the 3rd book. Still, the wait is worth it. The first two books are amazing without it.

Also, if you haven't already, read the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale. There's romance in each book, and you get to follow different characters in each book, so the main characters don't get on your nerves the way they can do with series'. Shannon Hale also wrote The Princess Academy, which was a Newbery honor book. (that's gotta be a good sing, eh?)

If none of those seem good, try Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. It was a high school Battle of the Books book, and I loved it. It's definately romance- it has a sort of classic love triangle, and it's fantasy too. Faeries and stuff, although not the typical kind. They are darker, sorta.

Anyways, I'll probably have more once I go look at my bookshelves... Hope this helps!
      "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

For me the obvious reads to try and find if you're waiting for AWoM, and haven't found them, would be DD's other books.

Obviously, if you're a YW fan and you haven't found the two published Feline Wizard books, those are probably the first ones you need to find, since Kit & Nita have walk-ons in that series.

Her Star Trek novels are a lot of fun, particularly the Rihanssu novels.

There's the entirely free to download novel, A Wind From the South.

If you don't mind R-rated content, and you like high fantasy (y'know, swords and sorcery stuff), then you also want to see if you can hunt up DD's Tale of the Five (aka the "Door" books).

And of course, there's always [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Elf-Kings-Roses-Diane-Duane/dp/0446609838"]Stealing the Elf-King's Roses[/ame].

If you want to stick with YA fantasy, I'd recommend Diana Wynne Jones. The Dark Lord of Derkholm basically takes the mickey out of every high fantasy novel by every Tolkein wannabe ever, and its sequel, Year of the Griffin is much like what a Harry Potter novel would be like, if they went to uni. Diana Wynne Jones also wrote this incredibly fun take on sf conventions, Deep Secret where if you know Neil Gaiman, you can pretty much spot his cameos.

Another YA fantasy I've enjoyed recently is Esther Friesner's Temping Fate, where our teenage goth-dressing heroine is forced to find a summer job and winds up typing up death certificates for these there women who work in a textiles factory: one spins, one measures, one cuts....

A kids' fantasy that's very old (it's as old as me!) that I hear has recently come back into print is Zilpha Keatley Snyder's Black and Blue Magic. If you can't find that one, then The Egypt Game is always good for a borrow from the library and a re-read. Ditto Andre Norton's Dragon Magic (although that's not quite as old).

I'd also highly recommend Terry Pratchett's "Tiffany Aching" series of YA Discworld books, if you haven't found them yet. The Wee Free Men is the first book in that series, followed by A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith. Pratchett once said that she gets one more, and then she'll be old enough to appear in the Discworld books proper.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

If you have not read Rick Riordan's series, The Olympians, do so NOW. Now. Now-now-now-now-now!!1! It is a now completed 5 volume series about one Percy (Perseus) Jackson, who find out the hard way that the Greek gods are still alive and well, and oh yeah, his father was one. It appears demigods are very crunchy and good with ketchup if you are a mythological monster, like a Hydra.

In the last volume there is a scene that is a direct descendant, if not outright snitched, from SYWTBAW. All I have to say is, "Mason's Word." 'Nuff said.
          "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
          "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Kathy, it oughta be a requirement that everyone here reads what you rec. My head was doing the little bobble-headed dog thing with the nods! I highly second the recs of Diana Wynne Jones especially (and I also loved Temping Fates!)

If you like paranormal romances, etc, you might dig urban fantasy; I recommend Charles De Lint's The Blue Girl (YA) and The Onion Girl (adult), although neither of those are especially romantic. Emma Bull's War for the Oaks is a great urban fantasy/romance.

I very much enjoyed (just finished yesterday and actually read obsessively during the intermissions of Wicked, for pete's sake) Frances Hardinge's Fly By Night, which I recommend to anyone who likes young adult fiction and reading/words and rebellious preteen girls. (I like all of these things and I loved this book, anyway.) It is set in a kind of AU England but there are no fantasy aspects other than that.

If you liked The Hunger Games you might like N.M. Browne's Warriors sequence which starts with Warriors of Alavna. You also might like Malorie Blackman's really excellent Noughts and Crosses series which is very heavy on the romance (IMO) esp. in the first book.

A book I've seen compared to Graceling is Silver Phoenix ('ware spoilers at that link) by Cindy Pon.
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

My suggestion isn't a fantasy series...exactly. But I've always adored these stories, and I've been going through them like crazy. I love all Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories, and though the way of speaking can be just a bit weird to get used to (well, not really that weird), they're really intriguing plotlines. I'm fascinated by them.

I've also been reading kids books... just for fun. The audiobook version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory read by Eric Idle (and the sequel too) are both really amazing... it makes me wish that Monty Python did their own version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; because Eric would have been an amazing Willy Wonka.

And what's wrong with YW fanfiction? ...Despite the fact that we can't post any on the forums...it's pretty good stuff, a lot of the time!
              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

kk, the funny thing for me is that I got into reading Sherlock Holmes through pastiches (aka fanfic by pros). I think the very first Sherlock Holmes-derived stories I read were Basil of Baker Street by Eve Titus (it's the book the Disney animated feature, The Great Mouse Detective, is based on) and The Case of the Baker Street Irregular by Robert Newman (who, btw, wrote one of my fave YA fantasy novels ever, Merlin's Mistake, but which is probably way too dated for you guys).

Then, when I was an adult, I found Nicholas Meyer's The Seven Per Cent Solution (Holmes meets Sigmund Freud) and its two sequels. Meyer, btw, is probably most famous in fan circles for writing the screenplays for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

I don't think I actually got around to reading the original Conan Doyle stories and novels until the Granada television series with Jeremy Brett started running on Mystery (now Masterpiece: Mystery for some unknown reason) in the mid-'80s. But then I tore through all of them and had a blast. My favorite edition was a really cheap hardcover facsimile of the Strand issues, complete with all the Paget illustrations. A fellow Holmes enthusiast (his net handle was and is "Moriarty") actually preferred the annotated Holmes, but I usually find myself irritated to be interrupted with footnotes when I'm reading a story.

The biggest damn list of Holmes reference/pastiches I have EVER seen is Evelyn C. Leeper's monstrous "Sherlock Holmes Book List". For us SF geeks, the Solar Pons books by August Derleth, and Garrett Randall's Lord Darcy series are nearly always recommended. I need to go and find them sometime. Too many books, too little time.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by SaxySullivan View Post
                  The first thing I would recommend (besides HP, which is an awesome series) would be the Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle. They say it's a children's series, but I think a lot of children's authors are better writers than adult authors.

I'm not sure if you may be into this one because there isn't really a fantasy element, but I think it's extremely well written and has an awesome storyline. It's a series by VC Andrews that starts with Flowers in the Attic. Four kids get locked away in the attic and they escape. There's more to it than that, but I don't want to ruin it for you. After that one it's Petals on the Wind and If There Be Thorns. I haven't read it since middle school-ish.
                  Oh totally! I read that once when I was younger and it got complicated! A lot! Did you know the first page actually details about a war going on between the trees, wind and the moon?! It reminds me of the battle of the trees in the YW SERIES!
                  (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

Good books

Well, I know some of these books may seem childish, but they are still good reads. The Warriors series, about cats, starts with Into the Wild, By Erin Hunter.Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli, A classic-The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster, an AMAZING author..... Tamora Pierce!!! Any book by her is AMAZINGespecially the Tortall Universe...Go Tamora Pierce!!Also, (obviously) the twilight series is good, but I'm not obsessed with it like my friends, but I still like it.Well, I hope you like some of them...
                    Last edited by 96bookworms; June 30, 2009, 11:54:35 AM.
                    All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

What book would I read? Let's see...

Dai stiho to all again at YW forums! Some may be wondering why I haven't been here but not to worry I am back! I had to catch up on some reading and begin enjoying the summer! Back to topic(for once I am actually on a computer and not my ipod, so now I am going to type in full words for once!)!

The books I would read to past the time:

Wizard's Inc.*
                      Avalon Series By Rachel Roberts*
                      Reread the YW series
                      Dragon Rider By Caroline Funke
                      Hatching Magic By Ann Downer*
                      A Dog's Life By Ann Martin*
                      Double Identity By Margaret Haddix*
                      Rules By Cynthia Lord
                      The Year of the Dog By Grace Lin
                      Life as We Knew It By Susan Pfeffer*
                      Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life By Wendy Mass

Ok, so there was a few stars next to some of the books... Well this means I will give a short summary of each book!

Wizard's Inc.- This book is about(I think 11) 11 short stories that tell about Wizards and their jobs. It's suppose to sound kind of real in some of them, cuz some of them take place as an average day for an average human being/wizard!

Avalon Series By Rachel Roberts- This series is about 3 girls who find magical stones that allow them to control magic around them from nature and themselves. Each book in the series is in the mind and actions of one of the main girl characters. Emily, Adraine and Kara are the 3 girls. Each one very much different from the other must work together to stop and the evil Dark Sorceress and it's companions from taking over earth and Web of other worlds. But the Dark Sorceress's main goal is to control one place:Avalon the home of all Magic. Although it seems easy enough, no one knows where Avalon is. This is another task the girls must accomplish before the Dark Sorceress finds it first. It reminds me of YW series!

Hatching Magic By Ann Downer- This book is about a girl whose summer is ruined when her dad goes on an expedition and all of her friends leave for tropical and worthwhile getaways! She thinks this summer is going to be the worst, until a Wyvern card, an actual Wyvern dragon and wizard escape from their own time in the past to New York and become entangled with her destiny.

A Dog's Life By Ann Martin- A biography on a dog named Squirrel, who as a puppy is left alone with his brother, Bone, when their mom one day disappears. After this tragic event, the dogs must set off on a journey to find their mother and find a new home.
                      WARNING! For readers with light hearts and deep emotions, this book is a real heart-throbber.

Double Identity By Margaret Haddix- This book is about a girl who has to move to her aunts house who she never knew. Then weeks later, she gets a package in the mail from her father, inside is 10,000 dollars and 4 birth certificates of herself from 4 different hospitals.

Life as We Knew It By Susan Pfeffer- This book is about what happens when a meteor hits the earth(huge one) and life changes. No electricity, weather occurs abnormally and shortage in food changes life as we knew it.
                      (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

Another couple of books that might be worth a read are Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong and Dragonsinger. Most of the Pern novels are aimed squarely at an adult audience, but these two are nearer YA territory. While they're about a fantasy (well, AM would say SF) world without actual magic, they do explore some of the same sorts of themes, and they're among my favourite stories.

...and if, as you read them, you find yourself thinking that some bits seem a little familiar, and you've read Eragon, well then you'll know where Paulini got a few of his ideas...
                        -- Rick.

Comment

If you liked Stardust, I do believe that Neverwhere is also an enjoyable romp through fantasy with a small slice of romance on the side.

I would also recommend Garth Nix's Shade's Children, which I found to be dark but extremely enjoyable, as well as Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch. Both have well developed teen (and adult) characters, though they're more science-fiction-y than 'paranormal'.

If you're looking for strict paranomality, I believe Scott Westerfeld falls pretty well into that realm, especially with his series The Midnighters.
                          Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
                          Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Kli: That's cool! I'll have to look up a lot of those books... now that I think of it, my library did have a copy of Merlin's Mistake, and I looked at it, but didn't check it out... I must do that, now.

I think I started reading Sherlock Holmes, because one of the short stories was in a Reader's Digest story book for young readers... I have different paperback copies of most of the stories, and some ebook copies from Project Gutenberg, and Manybooks.net. I adored the television series with Jeremy Brett (he played the character well, I thought). My library has all episodes of all seasons of that show available for download on their website, and I've been going through them like crazy recently.
                            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Leopard View Post
                              ...and if, as you read them, you find yourself thinking that some bits seem a little familiar, and you've read Eragon, well then you'll know where Paulini got a few of his ideas...
                              Pern and, you know... Star Wars.

For the record, I would say that the whole Pern series is solidly readable by a teen audience (I went through the lot from about age 11-13 or so.) I might not recommend her Killashandra novels to youger readers but, on the other hand, they didn't do me any harm! The "Ship Who..." novels are also very readable by a younger audience along with the Pegasus sequence (my personal favourite McCaffrey sequence.) McCaffrey tends to have a very solid romance subplot, so if you're looking for genre fiction with a romantic edge you could definitely do worse than her. However, she is stylistically very different from DD and Gaiman and I'd be prepared to be the other authors listed by the OP. So... that's something to bear in mind.
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
                              X