No announcement yet.

Neil Gaiman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Daylily; February 12, 2009, 10:25:27 PM.
    “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
    -Groucho Marx

Comment

I don't really like Pratchett (what I've read of his is Feet of Clay and the first hundred or so pages of Mort) but Good Omens was alright. It wasn't Gaiman's best, but that could have been the Pratchetization of the book.

Saw Coraline-the-flick last night, though. I enjoyed it a lot and am glad I saw it in theatres. I wouldn't buy the dvd, though... unless it had a buttload of special features.
      (I eed to reread the book. There are so many things I either forgot or are... not quite right XD).
      But yeah, I recommend it.
      (Except some lady brought her 5-year-olds to the show and they cried most of the time. :/ )

Miss Li... is that the one called the new Survivors? I may just check it out. Thank you!
      I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
        -Groucho Marx

Comment

I have been told I made bad choices before, Daylily. :3
          One day I'll probably try reading them again, but there are so many other books out there by authors I like that I haven't read. (I'm chomping at the bit for the new Jasper Fforde book <3)
          I'll probably check out the Hogfather dvd before I consider buying more Pratchett books.

But wait! This thread is about Gaiman! Uhm... I gave Wolves in the Walls to my niece and my brother gave me a bit of a hard time :|
          I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

I just finished listening to the Stardust audiobook (read by Gaiman himself!). It was good . A lot... older than the movie came across as, I think; as if the movie was more aimed towards children, rather than it being an 'adult's fairy tale'. I might have to read the book, and the graphic novel, just to compare them all (if I can find copies).

Jacq: Pratchetts can be hit and miss. For example, Men at Arms, which all of my friends adore, I still haven't been able to read all the way through, but I can't get enough of some of his other stuff. I'm a big fan of any of the stories in which Death appears (just cos he's awesome). If you're going to watch stuff, don't forget that the BBC did A Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic, too, and (if you can find them) there are cartoon versions of Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters.

Comment

-Groucho Marx

Comment

Daylily: Terry Pratchett! *cheers*

I'm reading the Discworld books in publishing order, and I'm on "The Light Fantastic" so far. I've loved those first two, I think they're amazing! I've been told that they're not the best to start out with, but I've certainly enjoyed them. Insane laughter is fun...

What's the next one, again? I think it's Equal Rites, but I'm not sure... I mean, publishing-order-wise. I need to read the next books...

Heh, this is getting so off-topic... Wow...
                Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I was thrilled to little bitty pieces when I heard that Neil Gaiman had won the Newbery for The Graveyard Book. Then I had to go and explain who he was to my fellow librarians. Sad, really. :P Our library has one copy in YA, and one in J; I offered a Newbery sticker to our YA librarian for his copy, but he declined.

OTOH, as far as comic book adaptations go, I'm having a terrible time convincing the YA librarian that we need to acquire a copy of Watchmen. I think he is a.) unfamiliar with the work (and a lot of graphic stuff outside of manga) and b.)doesn't see the need (besides the fact that they are finally turning it into a movie, and c.) doesn't understand just how much of a classic in the genre it is. My nerdiness, let me show it to you
                  "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                  "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Ok, how cute was it that Neil Gaiman guest-starred on Arthur? hee hee hee. You can watch it here.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                    X