Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who thinks Mr.Pullman should make more of His Dark Materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who thinks Mr.Pullman should make more of His Dark Materials?

Who Thinks Mr.Pullman should make more of His Dark Matireals? I DO I DO it would be really good because The Amber Spyglass ends badly and sadly (hey that ryhmes!) anyway who thinks he should?

Live Life to the fullest

[edited to fix typo in thread title. --kli.]
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Hmm, I object completely to the idea of making more of that series with the same characters. He wrapped up every loose end in the story very neatly, so there's no possible way anything else could happen with the magnitude that they happend in the original books, so a sequel would just be fan-service. Having Lyra's world as the setting for other storys would be great, but without the subtle knife, it just wouldn't be the same.

--Rysade the Self Promoting

Comment

I think, too, it'd be difficult to write in the same world, because of the ending. I didn't like the ending either, but sometimes a series ends sadly, and it's the right ending, and there's nothing to be done about it. It'd be nice, but it would also ruin it, I think.
      Ka kite
      Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
      Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
      Chocolate lover extraordinaire... mmmmyummmm
      IT'S SUMMER!! WOOHOO!
      My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

hmm...the ending was sad. I liked that. I think that writing MORE philip pullman books would just be, well, stupid, because, like Rysade said, Amber spyglass ties it up too well. Am I the only one here who LIKES sad endings?

Aurora the Phoenix and Shona the Dragon: working together to achieve world domination and straight As.

Comment

I hate sad endings- but with the Amber Spyglass, you could really feel that it was going to be a sad ending, and then he wrote it, and really did it in a way that set it in stone- you could, for example, never re-write the book with a different ending, it just wouldn't work. Same with more books, I just don't think they'd work too well.
          Ka Kite
          Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
          Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
          Chocolate lover extraordinaire... mmmmyummmm
          IT'S SUMMER!! WOOHOO!
          My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I came across rumors (that seem to be fairly substantiated) regarding another book about Lyra and a book dealing with the history of Lyra's world.

As I feel that an author should only revisit a world if they feel that he/she has "unfinished business" there, I am somewhat dubious about the new Lyra book, though I hope that Philip Pullman knows what he is doing in returning to this world and characters. I am far more interested in the "history book" (that appears to be tentatively titled The Book of Dust). From the description, it strikes me as having the potential to be a fascinating book --a fitting companion to His Dark Materials.

Concerning the ending of The Amber Spyglass: I found it to be very fitting and was not at all bothered by it being a "sad ending" (but then I listen to lots of opera...).

Nathan

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
            Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Yea there's going to be a book called the book of Dust and it's going to be about the "not so importent characters" that you don't get to know like Lee Scoresby and Serifina Pekkela. It also has Lyra 4 years after The Amber Spyglass but there's nothing about Will yet.

Live Life to the fullest
              *Agent~M*
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "I could live

Comment

I agree, I really can't see the Amber Spyglass ending any other way. It had to be that way, they had to go through that, and there is no way that there could be another book following that. The trilogy is over, and that's that. It just wouldn't work. The history book sounds cool, though.

*Ella*
                *Ella*
                "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                What could mean more than this?"
                --Bright Eyes

Comment

Will won't show up with Lyra ever again. His part in her life is over, and hers in his. I doubt their worlds will meet again.

--Rysade the Self Promoting

Comment

Comment

I liked the first one, and the second was okay, but the last one was absolutely horrible. If you can't keep the attention of your reader in the final book, the climax, for crying out loud, then obviously the book needs a bit of work. The only parts in the final book that were even partly entertaining were the parts with the elephantish-but-not creatures-on-wheels.

So, definately there should not e anymore of these books. Waste of paper.

But maybe it's just me. You all are certainly entitled to yuor opinion.

~*~
                      "It is easier to carry a cross around your neck than across your back."
                      ~*~
                      A picture is not always worth a thousand words. I would rather have the words and paint the pitcure with my mind.

Comment

O.K fine i guess that it would be kinda crummy and since there is going to be a movie that will satisfy my "hunger" for more books. How do you prounounce Daemon? does any one know? I think it's like Dee Mon even though it sounds beter DAY MEN.

Live Life to the fullest
                        *Agent~M*
                        "I could live

Comment

Comment

how did you get the a and e to link? (why is it linked anyways?) I'm glad someone else thought TAS was good i thought it was but some people think it's to0 slow or too mushy.

Live Life to the fullest
                            *Agent~M*
                            "I could live

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X