This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDM Movie

I'm sure a lot of you guys have already heard that there's gonna be an HDM movie, but here's a site that's got the best info, http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/content-cat-9.html least in my opinion and I've been trying to dig up stuff on this movie for months... And I know they're just gonna destroy the books like any other book made into a movie but maybe Philip Pullman is like DD and doesn't want them to mess up the books Though they do have to change some stuff because they can't make the church look bad or something like that *roll eyes* the church in Lyra's world is like the church in medieval times, they were EVIL then, not anymore, but THEN, people have to accept that... *grumbles*
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

I'm sure a lot of you guys have already heard that there's gonna be an HDM movie, but here's a site that's got the best info, http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/content-cat-9.html least in my opinion and I've been trying to dig up stuff on this movie for months... And I know they're just gonna destroy the books like any other book made into a movie but maybe Philip Pullman is like DD and doesn't want them to mess up the books Though they do have to change some stuff because they can't make the church look bad or something like that *roll eyes* the church in Lyra's world is like the church in medieval times, they were EVIL then, not anymore, but THEN, people have to accept that... *grumbles*
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

I'm hoping that it'll turn out well, because those are some of my favorite books, but I'm a little worried.

It'll be odd trying to make the story work without the whole corrupt church thing if they don't want to do that. Also, it would really stink if Lyra was played by some whiny brat who couldn't act. And the whole Lyra and Will thing at the end of Amber Spyglass could just be made horrible.

Mostly though, its the daemons I'm worried about. Talking animals can seem so cheesy.

In spite of all that, though, I'm looking forward to it and will be one of those standing in a long line on opening night for a ticket!

Comment

I'm really not as interested as I used to be since I heard that Tom Stoppard's not doing the screenplay. I really wanted Tom Stoppard to do the screenplay...

The daemons are probably the easiest part, vs. cutting the books down to movie size.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

they were EVIL then, not anymore
          You sure about that?

Lyra was played by some whiny brat who couldn't act.
          That's totally true. Lyra and Will's roles have to be played perfectly, otherwise the whole movies will go down the drain, and that cannot happen.
          Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

I still haven't read these books.

However, I followed a link from Out of Ambit to Ansible 210, which has the following passage:
            Philip Pullman is much annoyed by another Times story (8 December), headlined `God is cut from film of Dark Materials' and alleging that New Line Cinema plans `to remove anti-religious overtones [...] because of fears of a backlash from the Christian Right in the United States.' Moreover, Pullman complains, `the article maintained that I had gone along with this, by cheerfully colluding in a betrayal of the vision that underlies the books'. This claim was buttressed by creative use of quotation: `To take an answer from one context, invent a question that hadn't been asked, and put the answer next to it is not what used to be called honest journalism.' Finally our author insists, `There will be no betrayal of any kind.' We shall see.
            For the full version of his comments, look here.
            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by db_pr:
              they were EVIL then, not anymore
              BTW, diego...

You need to resize your avatar a little: it's throwing the whole page's formatting off. It ought to be about half the size it is presently.
              Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Understood. /salutes
                Comradely, Diego

"Be a real

Comment

*shakes head* You're not allowed to have animated avies, Diego. You know that.
                  Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Comment

I can't wait! I didn't know there was gonna be a movie...and you're right; it'll have to be done very carefully, and very well. (redundancy...sort of...) If the people working on it are anything like the people who made LotR, I'm not worried, though. they were all really talented and dedicated...
                    I'm crying cuz things aren't how
                    they used to be
                    she said,
                    "The battle's almost won
                    and we're only several miles from the sun..."

Comment

I just read the first one a month or so back (was meaning to read them for forever. Need to go to the library and get the next two now. I loved it) and was looking up more info on it online and came across the movie thing.

I wanna be Lyra... *grins* too bad I'm 15. I wanted to be Hermione in the Harry Potter movies too though. Sadly these things don't always work out. though I do have blond hair... haha. I'm hardly British though (actually, I am a bit. just found out like 2 or 3 days ago).

I still have to read a Series of Unfortunate Events (and see the movie).

They're making loads of books into movies recently: they're set to make Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The Da Vinci Code, HDM, The Thief Lord (I loved that book), and I'm trying to think what else... I know there was a main one that I'm forgetting... rats.

I was following up on some fans discussing casting for HDM... what I don't get is why they try and eliminate actresses for playing Mrs. Coulter when they aren't brunette. Really, haven't they ever heard of hair dye? because it is used quite often, especially in the movie industry. So I hear at least...

Edit: sorry, just realized how spaztical of a post this is... I'm jumping all over the place. Such is my normal mode of rambling though. I interrupt myself a lot and forget what I was talking about.
                      ------------------------------
                      Have a cookie. it makes life better. If you don't like cookies, I suggest you seek professional help.

"So why should I take your hand when you can't promise happy endings?"
                      -Amber Pacific "Thoughts Before Me"

Comment

Believer---> I can't?
                        Comradely, Diego

"Be a real

Comment

Diego, we're supposed to try and keep the bandwidth down, remember? animated avatar graphics are bigger than still ones. Most of the avie graphics used on this board are < 10KB. Yours is over 100KB.

To quote from the avatar guidelines:
                          <UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Animated avatars are not permitted: they drive up our bandwidth usage and DD's costs. If you start using one, don't be surprised if it suddenly disappears without warning.[/list]
                          BTW, I gotta say I'm liking this trend, in the wake of Harry Potter and LoTR, to regard fantasy books as hot Hollywood properties. Lessee, we've got Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Lions of Al-Rassan, and His Dark Materials all in the hopper. Anybody wanna make a guess as to who else might get adapted?
                          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Kli typed:

BTW, I gotta say I'm liking this trend, in the wake of Harry Potter and LoTR, to regard fantasy books as hot Hollywood properties. Lessee, we've got Jonathan Crouch & Mr. Norrell, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Lions of Al-Rassan, and His Dark Materials all in the hopper. Anybody wanna make a guess as to who else might get adapted?
                            Lesse, *crosses fingers* YW! That would be cool, but I know the problems . What about The Dark is Rising? or ... *tries to think of others* The Chrestomanci books. I'm hoping that there will be a Tamora Pierce movie at some stage too. Seeing SOTL on the screen would be really good... oh well.

Its good in some ways, but bad in others. I loved the LOTR adaptation, but HP - especially the third one - disappointed me.

Comment

Earthsea?
                              A Wrinkle in Time?

What do you mean, they've been done? Do Ursula K. LeGuin and Madeleine l'Engle agree with that statement ?

I wouldn't mind some more Discworld adaptations, if they're done as well as Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music were. I don't want to see the results of one of those "Hey, love the concept of Mort, Terry baby. Just lose the skeleton guy, OK?"-type meetings.
                              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X