No announcement yet.

Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathy Li, I appreciated your coming-up list as well.

And it always makes me happy to come in here and see that other people like the same shows.

Totally get what you mean with Numbers, Bird. I feel like they are trying to find something to shake things up, but if they even try getting rid of Don or Charlie, I'm out (note: I don't know that they will, but that is my mom's guess. The finale was confusing, with the summer thing.)

For fans of Bones, I believe that tonight is the 100th episode, and we will get to see Brennan and Booth's first case together. (I know that I am excited.)
    Fringe is back on too. Woot woot. And boy is it getting cra-zay.

I like Warehouse 13, even though I only got to see like, half the episodes. Same with Sanctuary. I watched a marathon of that one day, and got hooked, but that was about all that I ever got to see.

And Caprica was good. Hopefully it got enough viewers that they will keep it, and I must say, that as someone who only watched 5 BSG episodes (and did a brief google search on the show) it is easy to follow even for non-BSG fans. Hinthint - watch it.

Comment

• Since I haven't done one in a while. Coming-up:
      • 8/27 (BBC1/BBC America): Doctor Who: "Let's Kill Hitler". And they're back!
      • 9/6 (Bravo) Mad Fashion. A Project Runway spinoff, but centered around the crazy float/pageant costumes of Chris March, which makes me happy.
      • 9/13. (CW) Ringer. The return of Sarah Michelle Gellar to the small screen, playing identical twins in a neo-noir thriller. No supernatural/sf elements, though.
      • 9/19. (ABC) Castle is back.
      • 9/20. (Fox) Glee is back.
      • 9/21. (CBS) CSI and Criminal Minds are back. (Also, if you're watching CSI, brace for impact. Fishburne's leaving and they're replacing him with Ted Danson.)
      • 9/21. (ABC) Revenge. It sounds horrible, but it's an updated, feminized version of The Count of Monte Cristo, and for that I gotta give points.
      • 9/22. (CBS) Big Bang Theory is back.
      • 9/22. (CBS) Person of Interest. Interesting premise, and Jonathan Nolan is showrunning.
      • 9/25. (CBS) Amazing Race is back.
      • 9/26. (Fox) Terra Nova: the we-go-back-to-the-Jurassic-to-save-mankind show. Spielberg produced, and all the usual guns for hire on the writing staff, but they let Tim Minear (Buffy, Angel, Wonderfalls) go as showrunner, so I'm a little less enthused.
      • 9/28. (PBS) Nova: Japan's Killer Earthquake. Natural disaster documentary nut, I.
      • 10/2. (PBS) Prohibition. Ken Burns does another documentary series.
      • 10/2. (Showtime) Dexter is back. Not for the squeamish or those who are TV-MA blocked.
      • 10/2. (Showtime) Homeland. Ditto the above.
      • 10/3. (Fox). House is back.
      • 10/16. (PBS) Masterpiece Contemporary: The Song of Lunch. Emma Thompason and Alan Rickman doing the dramatization of a poem. Did you really need to know any more?
      • 10/21. (NBC) Chuck is back for its final 13 episodes.
      • 10/21. (NBC) Grimm starts up. This is probably my #1 bet for the new season. One of the showrunners is David Greenwalt (Buffy, Angel, Profit). Looks like good scary fun.
      • 10/23. (ABC) Once Upon a Time. My #2 bet, and likely to be compared to Grimm a lot. This one is going more along the fairytale lines, though, than along creature-of-the-week ones.

Also, we know that Sherlock is coming back to PBS on Masterpiece in May 2012. Oh, and Smash (the Glee clone for grown-ups) is airing in February.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I'm excited about Doctor Who, Castle, and Terra Nova may be something to look into.
        How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
        You poke her face.

Comment

• White Collar and Covert Affairs (USA) just had their summer finales, which means we have to wait until winter to see new ones.

Wishing horribly that Sherlock was going to air sooner, but I'll settle for knowing that season 4 of Merlin and some other sci-fi stuff is going to be back soon. But really, can't WAIT for Sherlock to come back. I love that one tons.

Comment

• In case you hadn't heard, the three episodes of Sherlock that are in the works are "A Scandal in Belgravia" (Moffat's writing this one), "The Hounds of Baskerville" (Gatiss is writing this one), and "The Reichenbach Fall" (Steve Thompson).

I dance that Moffat is doing The Woman. In case you need a refresher on the Canon stories, my guess would be the main ones to look for are:
            Just as, in the last series, it was mostly "A Study in Scarlet", and (partially) "The Bruce-Partington Plans", although there were references to a bunch of other stores like "The Creeping Man", "The Five Orange Pips", and "The Sign of Four". I LOVED that Watson's watch transmogrified into a cellphone, but that the majority of that scene was left pretty much verbatim.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I love how they've kept so many of the details and that there are inside jokes/references for those of us who've actually read the stories, though they stand on their own just fine. I think I'm most excited to see what happens with Irene Adler and how all of that goes down. So excited! Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Sooo many shows!!!

OMG.

Sunday night is now super-painfully full of tv for me. Here are the shows I want to watch that are all on Sunday night:

Once Upon a Time
                Revenge
                666 Park Avenue
                Masterpiece Theatre
                Call the Midwife
                Treme
                Homeland
                Dexter
                Bob's Burgers

And yet, on Tuesday and Wednesday, there is hardly anything. Why do the networks do this?! WHY!!!!

Sadly, I am not that interested in the new shows.

The pilot to Revolution looked pretty fun, but I don't need to watch another Lost.
                Elementary will always look like poor also-ran next to Sherlock.
                666 Park Avenue is a bit too creepy for my tastes.
                Beauty and the Beast is gonna have to beat the '80s show for me to like it, and that's simply not possible without GRRM writing episodes.
                Arrow already has me thinking it's stupid, simply because they took "Green" off the front of the title.

The only new shows I'm really interested in (both by Bryan Fuller of Pushing Daisies fame) aren't coming around until the mid-season: Mockingbird Lane and Hannibal.

I do have to mention, though, that I seem to be on an animation bonanza of late.

Green Lantern: the Animated Series rocks the house. The second half of season 1 just started up on Cartoon Network (10am, Sat.), and hello Guy Gardner and the Anti-Monitor!

Dragons: Riders of Berk is actually a pretty nice series that looks an awful lot like its theatrical basis, How to Train Your Dragon.

I know, I know. I'm a gazillion years behind, but I finally got around to watching Avatar: the Last Airbender, and am now completely happy with Legend of Korra. I watch them over and over on the Nicktoons.com website (but you have to flip between the Avatar page (to see the first six) and the Korra page (to see the second six episodes). It's not as solid/strong as Avatar, but hey, it's set in the same world, you get to see what happened to everyone, 'ship wise, and it's still a lot of fun. The 1920s Shanghai vibe, complete with biplanes, flapper dresses & cloche hats, radio, and cars just plain rocks.

On Crunchyroll.com Space Brothers amuses me no end, since it's NASA-geek anime. (But if you're using a mobile app version of Crunchyroll, don't upgrade to the new version, particularly on iOS. Use the old one. The new one blitzes you with an ad every four minutes. It's kind of horrific. If you use Time Machine, fish the old .ipa file out, remove the app from iTunes and your device. Then, add the .ipa file to iTunes, and synch, and you'll have downgraded).

So. What are you watching now that Doctor Who is done for a while?
                Last edited by Kathy Li; October 1, 2012, 07:10:27 PM.

Comment

• I don't usually watch much TV, but I've got to say I absolutely love Downton Abbey! Unfortunately, I live in the US, so I can't see it until January! My dad and I are totally hooked =) I'm kind of glad that it doesn't start for a while, thought, just because I have play practice Sunday night, so I wouldn't even be able to watch it! I'd rather watch it the next day, though, then several months later!

Once Upon a Time sounds really cool too. I've heard lots of great things about it, and i've seen the first two episodes, but haven't gotten to the rest of the series yet...on my list though!

Avatar and Korra are also on my list, since I see and hear about it everywhere! I'm still a bit confused as to what it's about...
                  All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• While waiting for Doctor Who and Sherlock, I've started watching Supernatural. It's really good, but I've learned not to watch it right before bed, unless I watch an episode of QI or something before trying to fall asleep.

Speaking of, QI is also awesome. And I've seen a few episodes of Korra, but I kept forgetting to watch it when it was airing. I'll have to finish it sometime.
                    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Originally posted by 96bookworms View Post
                      I don't usually watch much TV, but I've got to say I absolutely love Downton Abbey! Unfortunately, I live in the US, so I can't see it until January!
                      My local PBS station, KPBS, has started airing Downton Abbey all over again. Boy, does it make the new Upstairs Downstairs look even worse than it is.

Once Upon a Time sounds really cool too. I've heard lots of great things about it, and i've seen the first two episodes, but haven't gotten to the rest of the series yet...on my list though!
                      It's a lot of fun. But to me, my Lost prejudice keeps raising its head. The showrunners are Kitsis & Horowitz who were writer/producers on Lost. So, I keep substituting "Disney movie" for "Island" in my head. I get disgruntled that everybody's more interesting in Storybrooke than they are in the fantasy world, and that they don't actually use fairytales so much as they're an ABC show and so have run of the Disney vault, but they're not really staying all that faithful to the Disney stuff, either.

But it's certainly different from most of the other shows out there.

Avatar and Korra are also on my list, since I see and hear about it everywhere! I'm still a bit confused as to what it's about...
                      The idea is that there's a world with four different kingdoms that are based on four different elements/seasons. In this fantasy world (which is mostly Pacific-rim-cultures based), there are special people who can command elements known as "benders". The benders each can control a single element: water, air, earth, or fire. The Water kingdom is at the poles and is roughly based on Inuit culture. The Air kingdom is based on Tibetan monks. The Earth kingdom is kinda a Korean/Chinese/Japanese mix. And the Fire kingdom is more Chinese/Japanese with early 19th century industrialism.

There is supposed to be a single being, who is continually reincarnated in different people, who can control all four elements, the Avatar. And through the reincarnation cycles, the Avatar will move from an earthbender (spring), to a firebender (summer), an airbender (fall), and finally to a waterbender (winter) and back through the four season cycle again.

At the beginning of AVATAR, the Fire Kingdom has been trying to conquer everybody else for about 100 years, and in all that time, there's been no sign of the new Avatar since the firebending Avatar Roku died. Knowing the next avatar would be an airbender, the Fire Kingdom has virtually destroyed the entire Air Kingdom. Which is why the title of the show is Avatar, the Last Airbender.

The cool part about the show is that they try to keep everything as Asian-based as possible. All on-screen text is in traditional Chinese. And they unchained their Korean animators and treated them AS animators, rather than as a production mill, like most cartoons do. Instead of giving them strict timing sheets breaking down all the action beats, they basically just handed over storyboards and let the animators do what they wanted to do, which is why the quality of animation on Avatar and Korra is a bit higher than the norm.

Korra is the sequel to Avatar (so don't watch it first, unless you don't mind spoilers). Korra is the next Avatar in the reincarnation cycle, so she's a waterbender.

Originally posted by kk View Post
                      While waiting for Doctor Who and Sherlock, I've started watching Supernatural. It's really good, but I've learned not to watch it right before bed, unless I watch an episode of QI or something before trying to fall asleep.
                      Good advice. I watch Supernatural, too, and the spatter factor can get kinda high (ditto Grimm). But I do love when Ben Edlund writes an episode. I loved The Tick, and his episode of Firefly was the Jaynestown one.

Right now, my fave shows are probably Revenge (massive soap opera sorta/kinda based on The Count of Monte Cristo) and Person of Interest (surveillance state action/adventure piece, but showrun by Christopher Nolan [Momento]).

Ok, guys in the USA, another plea.

The ONE new show I've been seriously looking forward to this year was Mockingbird Lane. This is the Munsters "reboot" being done by Bryan Fuller. And if you watched Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, or Dead Like Me you probably understand why I was so hyped out to hear about this. The pilot episode was directed by Bryan Singer (X-Men movies, Superman, the House pilot). It's using the same costume and design people that Pushing Daisies did.

If you never saw The Munsters, it was an old B&W half-hour sitcom. It got confused with The Addams Family, all the time, because it was also a sort of creature-feature family setup. Herman was a Frankenstein monster, Lily and Grampa were vampires, little Eddie was a werewolf, and then there was poor Cousin Marilyn who was [shudder] pretty and normal.

Fuller's reboot makes it an hour-long "dramedy", and I got to see a small bit of it at his Comic-Con panel, and it felt an awful lot like a slightly darker and more gothic Pushing Daisies, or a slightly goofier Dead Like Me.

Here's the plea. NBC has spent $10M on the pilot, and it seems they may give a pass on the show. Rumor is that they're going to try and recoup their losses by airing it as a Halloween special with this week's Grimm Halloween-themed episode, and that's all she wrote. But, there's an outside chance, according to Fuller, that if the ratings/buzz on the show is amazing, that NBC might still pick it up for production.

So, if this sounds like something that appeals to you, or if you just wanted one hour of good Halloweeny tv: NBC, 8pm-9pm. Friday, 10/26.

BTW, if this show does indeed go down the tubes, we are not left Fuller-less. His other show, Hannibal, is in production right now. But... whether or not you want to brave the world of Thomas Harris's Hannibal Lecter, well, that's up to you.
                      Last edited by Kathy Li; October 22, 2012, 02:25:39 PM.

Comment

• My usual "here's when everything comes back" list, for those of us in the US:
                        • Doctor Who: Christmas Special: "The Snowmen": 12/25 (BBC America)
                        • Merlin - Jan 4 (Syfy)
                        • DC Nation: Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice - Jan. 5 (Cartoon Network)
                        • Downton Abbey Series 3 - Jan. 6 (PBS, Masterpiece)
                        • Bunheads, S1.5- Jan 7 (ABC Family)
                        • Suits, S2.5 - Jan 17 (USA)
                        • Smash - Feb. 5 (NBC) new showrunner, btw: Josh Safran (Gossip Girl)
                        • Body of Proof - Feb. 5 (ABC)
                        • Touch - Feb. 8 (FOX)
                        • Psych - Feb. 27 (USA)
                        • Grimm - Mar 8 (NBC)
                        • Game of Thrones - Mar 31 (HBO)
                        • Warehouse 13 s4.2 - April ? (SyFy)
                        • Legend of Korra - April ? (Nickelodeon)
                        • Defiance - April ? (Syfy) It's a show AND an MMORPG!

Comment

• I can't wait for more Doctor Who.

I've been busy with school, so I've been catching up on The Colbert Report, Supernatural, Murdoch Mysteries and Castle.
                          How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
                          You poke her face.

Comment

• Spring changeover's about to start, which is odd, since there never used to be a "spring season", but for those into historical costume drama with premium cable, we'll be getting Game of Thrones on 3/31 [HBO], Da Vinci's Demons 4/12 [Starz], and The Borgias on 4/14 [Showtime]. Oh, and Mr. Selfridge will hit PBS on 3/31. And Spies of Warsaw (look! David Tennant!) pops up on BBC America 4/3. And The Bletchley Circle will hit PBS on 4/21 (four women who were codebreakers at Bletchley in WWII decide to regroup and pool their pattern detection skills to solve a serial murder case in the early '50s). Not sure any of this is kid-appropriate, though. Expect TV-14 fare.

Doctor Who returns to BBC1 and BBC America on 3/31. But you probably knew that.

For the SF lovers, Syfy channel starts up Defiance (the MMORPG-integrated one) on 4/15. And we finally get the rest of season 4 of Warehouse 13 on 4/29. And if you were in despair because Robot Combat League suddenly pre-empted Merlin with no warning, they'll be finishing up the final season on SyFy starting 5/3.

Just in case you were wondering. You probably weren't.

I'm just super-hyped out that we have actually made it to (definitely TV-MA) Season 3 of Game of Thrones. Because that's when stuff really starts to happen. Man, I can't wait for Arstan Whitebeard and Belwas, The Queen of Thorns, Meera & Jojen Reed, and Beric Dondarrion to show up. Or the casting of Diana Rigg as the Queen of Thorns--it's kind of amazing she'll be guesting on both Game of Thrones and Doctor Who.

Comment

• As anyone watched the series Resurrection on ABC? It's about an 8-year-old boy who wakes up in a swamp in China and finds his way back home to his parents in Arcadia, Missouri. Turns out, the boy had died 30 years ago and it's as if his body were in a time capsule. The show captures how various members of the family and community react over time, how their opinions change as more resurrected people arrive, and how extreme religious beliefs can lead to paranoia and violence. I find it very well-written and intriguing. Season 2 is premiering on September 28th at 9/8c. Here's the website:

Watch Resurrection TV Show - ABC.com

I also enjoy Perception. It's my favorite of all the drama murder mystery shows that I watch with my mom. I like the way they go about solving cases, and I particularly enjoy Dr. Pierce and his brutally honest, sarcastic demeanor.
                              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Oh, do not get me started on TV shows. Beyond reading, I watch way more TV then I should. As I've stated before, I'm a huge fan of anything that conveys a story, such as books, TV shows, movies, games, etc. And while I may not be a huge watcher of movies due to the their length, I enjoy TV shows above them (What I mean is that I feel like a 2 hour movie just isn't long enough to get me invested in the story. This is why I love TV shows because you tend to have many smaller episodes that add up to a huge amount of time to tell a story).

I have noticed quite a few changes with TV shows over the years, and I do have to stay they are changes for the better in my mind. If you look back at some of what people would call classic shows, and compare them to modern shows, you will see this difference; there is a dwindling of the episodic nature. What I mean by this is that older shows (and to an extent many 'crime' dramas of today) are what I call episodic shows. They introduce the characters, set up the story, expand the story, conclude the story, and end the show, with each episode. It's almost like the producers were afraid of 'What will people think if this were their first episode?' so they made each episode very similar with slight changes and no real continuity between them. However, many shows now days take into account that the viewers have already watched all the shows previously, or if they hadn't there are ways to catch up and not be left behind (Netflix, season DVDs, Hulu, Amazon+, etc.). And this is the change I love.

Being able to watch a show and to see the characters grow, adapt and change to situations that are thrown at them really interest me. I'm a huge character fan. I can watch almost any kind of show regardless of the genre as long as I enjoy the characters. There are some shows I watch that I normally wouldn't just because I like the characters and want to see how they would react to 'such and such'.

Anyway, that's enough about that, I will post below some of the shows I have on my 'to watch list' for the upcoming fall season. They will be in order of release date, and I will also add the dates they release.

Sep 11 - Haven
                                Sep 12 - Z Nation
                                Sep 22 - Gotham, Big Bang Theory, Sleepy Hollow, The Blacklist
                                Sep 23 - Forever, Person of Interest, Faking It
                                Sep 25 - Bones
                                Sep 28 - Once Upon a Time, Resurrection, CSI
                                Sep 29 - Castle
                                Oct 1 - Stalker
                                Oct 5 - Homeland
                                Oct 7 - The Flash
                                Oct 8 - Arrow, American Horror Story
                                Oct 12 - The Walking Dead
                                Oct 22 - The 100
                                Oct 24 - Grimm, Constantine
                                Oct 30 - Elementary
                                Nov 17 - State of Affairs
                                Nov 24 - Ascension

If you want to talk about any of the above shows before, as, or after they air, I'm up for it. Just let me know.

GibbyGibson
                                "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." ~G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
                                X