Bad food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad food

First off, I had no idea where to create this thread, and I apologize ahead of time if it should be elsewhere.

My dad and I watched the movie Food, Inc. It is certainly a horrifying wake-up call about the lousy direction that the food system in the U.S. is going. It discusses the terrible conditions that cows, chickens, etc. have to live through -- living in hot, dark, crowded, closed-in buildings, living in their feces, being abused by workers, cows being fed corn when they should be fed grass and being given artificial growth hormones, etc. etc. etc. It also discussed food contamination, the inability for the average person to push for laws regulating food to be passed (e.g. Kevin's Law), etc.

It also talks about Monsanto Company with their genetically-modified crops (they also make the artificial growth hormone for cows), their executives being in and out of the USDA/FDA and making laws that favor only themselves, their relentless prosecution of farmers who even accidentally have fields containing their genetically-modified crop (and how do they test this? Dropping Round-Up bombs on the fields; if the crop resists, then it's a Monsanto crop and God help the farmer; if it dies, then the farmer loses a huge section of their crop!), and possibly how they affect human health (don't remember if I read about that elsewhere or in that video).

It also shows examples of how farming should be done and shows one farmer who slaughters his chickens in simple, clean, outdoor facilities (more sanitary than the huge, closed-in, commercial slaughterhouses). It does show footage of commercial slaughterhouses that I won't even talk about (I'll just say that I used to think that the word "slaughterhouse" was a bit morbid, but not anymore).

There's also another movie that you can click to watch, The Future of Food, that talks about these subjects, but not as in-depth as Food, Inc.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Further Recommendations

I know very little about genetically engineered food (thanks, Eric), but I do know something about the horrors of corn syrup and food manufacture. Really, that should be enough to put anyone off McDonald's. Not that I'm an extremist or anything.

I would recommend the movie Supersize Me, as a classic (appalling but fascinating); and the book Twinkie, Deconstructed for all you geeks. (Remember the scene in AWAl or TWD, when Nita goes grocery shopping, and she can only recognize some of the ingredients when she looks at the pizza box? Paraphrasing: "So this is why Mom was so aggressive about cooking at home...") That's what it's all about.

But more than that, I would recommend The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan. It's not all bad news (though there's a lot of that), but it's a well-rounded book focussing on all aspects of food: Meat, fruit, grains, mushrooms, evils of food production, (un)/reformed businesses, the ideal farming practice. What it's not is a manual telling you what to eat; what it is, an explanation as to why and how the world of food got the way it is and maybe, how to change it into a better way to be.
    Last edited by dorotheia; February 22, 2010, 07:26:43 PM. Reason: inaccuracy

Comment

Working...
    X