Country
    0.00%
    Classical
    100.00%
    Modern rock
    0.00%
    None
    0.00%
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

I voted for Classical, but I don't really listen to the old stuff. Most of my CD collection (the ones that I will actually listen to, Spice Girls _not_ included) are instrumental movie soundtracks. Thats what I listen to most. Other than that I'll listen to the radio - or my brother's CD player in the next room, which plays anything from R&B to waht I guess would fit under 'modern rock' in this poll.

Alla

Comment

Well I voted for Country but thats what Ilisten to mostly. I listen to....all music, my dad likes clasical, rock (he watches MTV), and my sister listen to modern rock pop and a whole bunch of stuff like that. I also listen to musical sound tracks *coughwikedcough* and movie sound tracks at lisas. In other words I like all music.
      Car doors will soon take over the world! The little blender who could told me so!

I was a newbie for a whole year!!*newbie dances* I will always be a newbie at heart though.

Comment

I have an open mind about music, though I know I'm prejudiced against rap. (Not music! It's talking with rhythm!)

I voted country, because that's all I normally listen to. I do listen to the more popular music at others' houses (coughStephcough), and I've gotten over my dislike of Rock/Pop/whatever my friends like.

My collection of CDs includes many soundtracks and uncommon music. More than half is country, and at least eight are movie soundtracks. Three are Martina McBride alone, and I have LotR 2 + 3, HP 1+2, and Star Wars 3.

Then there's Wicked, which is what I listen to most often, more than all the rest combined.

I even have a CD that isn't for sale (to my knowledge). They gave "Words are your Wheels" out for free at the last National Book Festival.

Gryph
        There's a definite trend in the forums that I've been noticing, and it's that people don't get out of their shells and listen to good, healthy, modern music -- or the majority, at least.
        ...This wouldn't be PM, would it?

I know, I know. I don't listen to modern music either, really. The last time (before Steph's b-day) I heard "popular" music was on a two minute ride to the local elementary schools, on a field trip that was parent-chaperoned. I felt so...out of place, because everyone else was singing and I wasn't. (On a chorus field trip, ironically.)
        Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
        "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
        "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

I tend to like this song/piece (or, occasionally, this artist/composer) rather than this style. I like a lot of classical (assuming it means orchestral/instrumental, because technically classical is one style/period of orchestral-type music, isn't it?) but I was in band for 11 years, so along with random "greats", I also really like De Meij's Lord of the Rings Symphony (which seriously pre-dates the movies) and Robert Russell Bennett's Suite of Old American Dances....and so on. There's a lot of band music that I really like, in part because I enjoyed playing it. Those are, in fact, "new music", if we're talking about band/orchestra music

I like a lot of currently-popular (I guess) stuff, too. Maroon 5, John Mayer, Kelly Clarkson, Norah Jones, Evanescence. Counting Crows, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Queen...

And I like a lot of stuff that nobody here will have ever heard of, smaller groups, singer-songwriter types that have never become very famous because they do their own style of music that doesn't fit with the current trends. Sally Rogers, Deirdre Flint, John McDermott.

One thing I generally extremely dislike is the "bubble-gum pop" music that is all over now.

I don't think that "nobody's making anything good now", but in music, like everything else, there are a whole lot more people who do mediocre stuff than there are people who do good stuff, so the good people aren't always easy to find.

Comment

Music...I hate rap. No, I DESPISE rap. It gives me the biggest headache ever. I voted for country, because on a normal day that's what I listen too. I listen to some other stuff too, like Maroon 5, John Mayer, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Josh Groban, The Clash, The Police, Green Day (mainly the older albums, like Nimrod), umm...*looks through iTunes library* I have a lot of country. Shania Twain, lots of Kenny Chesny, Johnny Cash, Brad Paisley, Josh Gracin, Billy Currington, Keith Urban, Jamie O'Neal...the list WILL go on, but it would take too much time to type out. Right now I'm on a phase where I listen to Nimrod by Green Day over and over again. Not healthy for a person, but oh well. I actually listen to a lot of stuff. My music isn't that normal. But since when am I normal?

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

While we're on the topic of modern music, you might want to check out Animusic, a new genre of music video and music making where we have music driven CG animation, definitely worth checking out for people of all ages.

Concerning my own music interests, personally I listen mostly to classical styles (not just western classical). I listen to a few modern songs here and there (Animusic is modern for example), it really depends on the music. If I like it I will listen to it, otherwise I won't. While it's true that plenty of people don't listen to modern music, the same is probably true of most western classical music. Sure most people have heard of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, or Brahms, but there are so many others like Scarlatti, Lizst, Chopin, Haydn, Rachmaninov, Scriabin, Purcell. As I'm probably one of those people who don't listen to enough modern music, maybe we should have a topic where people make suggestions on what music to listen to (or is there already a topic?). I'll listen to some samples if I have time, and see if it's really as "healthy" as people like Gryphon claim it is .
              ---------------------------
              "The law of entropy is just a complicated way of explaining why some things don't happen very often."
              -Norman Christ, Professor of Physics, Columbia University (Does the Lone One know this? :P)

Comment

My musical taste is as varied as my taste in books (aka: very nearly everythingus). I'm not much for rap (as a good friend of mine said once, "there's a reason it's only one letter away from crap"). But I digress. I'm currently going through a major upheval in my listening tastes, I'm really getting into indie rock. And, as usual, no one has ever heard of my fave bands. Or, no one around here, anyway. *sniff*. I totally heart They Might Be Giants (and have for quite a while). Um...Franz Ferdinand, Hot Hot Heat, Dresden Dolls, The Decemberists, etc. Also, I heart classic rock (Billy Joel whoo and hoo!) and musical. Oooboy am I a musical nerd. I just...can't get enough of them. I've completely memorized RENT, I've listened to it so many times, and I'm well on the way to a similar hapenning with The Producers, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Nunsense 2, Spamalot, Wicked, and People Are Wrong. We go up to NYC pretty much once a year to see a show (every year since 1st grade- I was totally bitten by the musical bug early on).

...yeah.
                PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Anime and Jrock and Jpop, a lot of that. ^^

In English, I don't listen to most mainstream stuff, I guess. . . In a music store, I usually check out my favourite band, Linkin Park, to see if they have any new stuff, and then I head straight for the punk and metal sections where the best of my favourite groups are. I mean, come on. . . AFI, Avenged Sevenfold. . . NightWish. ^^

I listen to a lot of instrumental too.

Comment

I love all sorts of music--must agree with Lisa, though, rap isn't really my preference. Hmm...I am absolutely head over heels for Broadway(I always want to type 'Broady') musicals. My all-time favorites are: the Original Phantom of the Opera, original Jekyll & Hyde, and Wicked! There's nothing better than having THAT wake you up in the morning or make your friends give you weird looks at 2 a.m. ^^

For bands/groups, I listen to Enya, Vanessa Carlton, Avalon, the WOW series, Barlowgirl, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Coldplay, Norah Jones, Kelly Clarkson, Rob Thomas(occasionally), Superchic, and Lifehouse! There are so many more but I don't feel like naming them all. Jpop is good, as is the music on video games.

Instrumental has been peaking my fancy the most lately and I intend to get as much of it as I can, when I get the chance. Anyone ever hear 'Requiem of a Mind'? *shivers* Simply amazing. Oh, I also love Vivaldi, including the remakes of his work with these _amazing_ effects. Vivaldi has some awe-inspiring work...

Oh, and Christian music! Yeah, yeah, I see you all gagging already ^^ You just haven't heard the good stuff!
                    ~~~~~
                    You know when people see a cat's litter box, they always say, "Oh, have you got a cat?" Just once, I want to say, "Nope. It's for company. Help yourself. Make yourself comfy. Take your time."

Comment

I like most music. What I listen to on a normal day depends on my mood. I LOVE soundtracks, but then again soundtracks can vary hugely. I mean, I like Wicked, LOTR, POTC, Ella Enchanted, The Prince and Me, and just about anything in between. Plus I have a few obsessions with bands (um, Barenaked Ladies...hehe). I also like Rooney, Queen, the Beatles (who doesn't?), Maroon 5, Green Day.
                      The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                      I promise not to funfun anymore
                      Be happy cause life is good

Comment

Soft music. . . *shudder* Soft music. . .

I can't really just type what kind of music I like, because there are four things I generally look for in music.

Grandeur - this is just a sense of majesty I get. . . it comes with orchestral works, including classical and instrumental. See, I don't normally get the feeling from a single instrument, but involve and orchestra, and yeah. . . Involve an orchestra AND heavy metal, and you start to devour my soul.

Hardness - . . . the harder the better. I can't really take the soft rock like Nickelback, they used to be so good with "Never Again" on their first hit Silver Side Up, but then they cheapened out. . . and it was all soft! SOFT SOFT SOFT! If you're going to call it hard rock, make it hard! Which is definitely why I prefer punk and metal. . . as a general rule, rock doesn't express anything to me. Punk and Metal are like my outlets for anger. By the way, Linkin Park is technically "Numetal". Evanescence borders on powermetal, so I like them too. . . even though after NightWish, they really felt like a cheaped out powermetal that was more 'mainstream.'

Speed - Fast is good. Fast is definitely good. Which is why slow sappy songs don't appeal to me. Punk is good like this. Yeah, Disturbed! SYSTEM OF A DOWN!!! Even though they're more mainstream. . . AVENGED SEVENFOLD!!!

Lyrics - Are they loud and angry or insightful or something significant like that? Do they scream what my soul screams? Again with the sappy love songs! I really don't like hearing sappy love songs these days! I want something angry or depressing, normally. This section is generally excluded from the Jrock and Jpop on the basis that I don't really know what they're anything anyway.

Melody - Yeah, that's right. I want something hard, fast, and PRETTY. System of a Down's Chop Suey did a pretty good job with it. PRETTINESS ROCKS. Anyway, if I like pop music like Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson (what's the diff anyway?), it's generally solely because of this.

Its funny because I don't dress like a punk or goth or anything, so people expect I like more mainstream stuff. So when I'm sitting there ranting about Avenged Sevenfold or AFI or Rise Against, I guess the image to most people is pretty amusing. . . this chick in a hot pink shirt and a denim skirt with a messenger bag with lots of pins and maybe a book, no piercings or spikes, sitting there swearing every third word and ranting about my favourite groups. Or cussing out bad ones.

Comment

i voted for country-i listen to it everyday.

but, i mean, i luv all music ( save most rap songs;they mostly just annoy the crap outta me).
                          i've played the piano for 6 going on 7 years now (since i was 5), and i just really like the sound of classical music, and can totally appreciate it.

which is funny, cause i like a lot of rock too.

and most of those like hit songs, i guess youd call them pop? like maroon 5 and such.

i really like greenday too.

so i guess i like all kinds of music, Beach Boys included.

yay!
                          just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

i wright poetry and i think rap insults poetry!!! I prefer country classic rock and select bit of modern rock and a bit of classical.Im ok with some hip hop but thats mostly cuzz i take dance.I love shania twain.Queen!!!And La Macarana!!!
                            The Answer to life the universe and everything: CREW 42!!!!!!!!
                            DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            I have a spelling problem. SYWTBAW

Comment

I love Avenged Sevenfold. XD My friend let me burn his CD, and for a while, I listened to that almost nonstop. It was their City of Evil, which has almost no screaming (I think it had one coarse line somewhere). I didn't realize they did scream until later when BW found one on Launch.

My dad let me burn System of a Down, saying that he thought I might like Chop Suey, though maybe not the other tracks. I loved them all, and ended up liking Toxicity better and Psycho the best.

And Slipknot!!! Yes, the lyrics can get disturbing, but the music is awesome, and they're talented. If you're looking for "pretty," go take a peek at Circle. I'm no expert about different kinds of metal, but I think Slipknot is thrash (?). Mostly, anyway. Their last album, Volume 3: Subliminal Verses is almost everything _but_ thrash. Their best album is Iowa. Almost every song is awesome (and the rest aren't bad). When BW leant me that, he was like, "listen to track two. And 4. 5, 6, 7, 8... oh, hell, they're all great!"

Then sometimes I bounce from Slipknot to Sum 41 and Greenday. I got Greenday's Nimrod CD and I like it better than American Idiot. The Sum 41 and Greenday I listen to the more carefree, fun feel.

And yeah, soft rock just doesn't do it for me. It's... what, nothing? Sure, nothing. XD

I suppose I can't say anything about country. Though I do...

Linkin Park is taking so long. :/
                              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Working...
                              X