The Empty Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Empty Chair

I just downloaded the last of the Rihannsu novels from Simon and Shuster at http://www.simonsays.com/content/boo...=33&pid=522838.

*happy dances*
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

I'm waiting for actual printed pages on this one. I want the full set. I am, however, dying to read it, since DD mentioned in chat that Ael and Arrhae are finally going to get scenes together.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
      I'm waiting for actual printed pages on this one. I want the full set. I am, however, dying to read it, since DD mentioned in chat that Ael and Arrhae are finally going to get scenes together.
      They're not the only people who get scenes together... *evil grin*
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

La la la la la la. [puts fingers in ears]. I can't hear you!!!

I refuse to read all my new DD books as ebooks. I just refuse. I need pages that turn, not scroll. (mutter). Geez, I hope DD comes out with the next chapter of TBM soon...

... I'm gonna go hunt up that XENA story...
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald:
          O.M.G.

I mean, there I am, happily reading away, and just delighted that DD's named one of the Federation vessels San Diego and feeling all smug, when I flip a few pages, and my brain freezes.

[very slight spoiler: SQUEEE!!! I've been tuckerized!! Onto the Enterprise! AGAIN!!!

I'm walking around with this incredibly goofy grin on my face. Thank you, Garrett, for not letting the cat out of the bag. It completely made my day.
          Last edited by Kathy Li; December 3, 2008, 04:40:17 PM.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald:
            O.M.G.

I mean, there I am, happily reading away, and just delighted that DD's named one of the Federation vessels San Diego and feeling all smug, when I flip a few pages, and my brain freezes.

[very slight spoiler: <span class="ev_code_white">SQUEEE!!! I've been tuckerized!! Onto the Enterprise! AGAIN!!! </span>] (footenote for those who need it).

I'm walking around with this incredibly goofy grin on my face. Thank you, Garrett, for not letting the cat out of the bag. It completely made my day. </div>[quote]

My pleasure. :-) Geez, did it take you long enough to pick up a copy?

Comment

You forget, Garrett, the paper version of the book didn't come out until December. And at that point, thanks to the MdDS and holiday stress combined, I was far too exhausted to concentrate on reading anything past a third grade level (honestly. The only book I could read at that time was Mary Poppins, I kid you not). It took me another month and a half to get better enough to be able to follow the space battles.

Comment

Ha-HAH! I just finished The Empty Chair and yes, I did spot a cameo or two. DD's going to have to do more writing to fit in everyone here, though

{edited to read: Sorry about the brevity of the post}
                "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

And at that point, thanks to the MdDS and holiday stress combined, I was far too exhausted to concentrate on reading anything past a third grade level (honestly. The only book I could read at that time was Mary Poppins, I kid you not).
                  Sorry, MdDS? I'm confused.

And meteorite -- "or two"? I don't think I caught the other one, unless it's so obvious I didn't even think of it.

Comment

MdDS: Mal de Debarquement Syndrome.

Honestly. I'm not making it up. You can google it and everything. It's related to motion-sickness. My vestibular system switch has crapped out, and thinks my body is constantly in motion. You know how when you get off a boat, it takes an hour or two (if you're lucky) for your landlegs to come back?

Well, if it takes days, it's called landsickness. And if it takes months, it's called MdDS. My world is gently bobbing up and down all the time. Mine was apparently set off by a sleepless night (Worldcon), too many rollercoasters at Disneyland/California Adventure, followed by a two hour drive home.

It's what they call a "self-correcting" condition: i.e., there's no treatment, and if you leave it alone it will eventually go away. Hopefully. (sigh). Worldcon was the first weekend in September. I've had it since then. It's been progressively getting better, but very very slowly. And it tires you out a lot.

It's also hard to diagnose because everything comes back normal: blood test, ENG testing (middle ear function test: essentially astronaut training with a video camera in front of your eyeball. Ugh.), MRIs, etc. And they have to go through all of them to eliminate everything else it could be making you dizzy (e.g., brain tumor, MS, Meniere's disease, benign vertigo positioning, etc.) The weird symptom by which this condition is most easily diganosed is that when you ARE in motion (i.e., driving), you feel perfectly fine.

Anyhoo, enough about me. Let's talk some more about me.

Meteorite: I just keep figuring that when Carmella gets back to her alien messageboards a few of us are going to pop up there.

...and to get back on topic. Was it just me, or did this book seem a lot heavier on the space battles than any of her other Star Trek novels?

Comment

...and to get back on topic. Was it just me, or did this book seem a lot heavier on the space battles than any of her other Star Trek novels?
                      It didn't really seem like that to me. After all, there was the battle with the Klingons in TWS, space battles and "ground" assults in MEMA, etc.

Comment

It's not just you, I felt it was a departure from her normal style in some ways - though don't ask me to get into what I think her normal style is, because I'm not sure I can put it into words Except this felt more "technical" in places. However, I don't think that was a bad thing, I think it made it easier to follow the battles - and they were 'uuuuuuge battles
                        Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

Comment

Working...
                        X