X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raetian Tales: A Wind From the South

OMG! OMG! OMG! Raetian Tales at last!!

http://raetiantales.blogspot.com/
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

I bought 'A Wind from the South' last night. That is the e-book Ms. Duane is currently selling (it was linked above as the Raetian Tales). I haven't gottten very far through it yet, but what I've read so far is, well, what one would expect from DD; i.e, I can't wait to see what happens next!
    I can understand that the subject matter would make it hard for publishers to market, and it would be hard for this book to bring in new readers. But for those of us who already know how good a writer DD is, and know how she excells especially at subjects 'off the beaten track', I think it will be a really good read!

[moved from the "Feline Wizards" forum over into its own Miscellaneous thread].

Comment

Yes, I bought a copy of it, too, and printed it out. I'm loving it so far, and I'm only a dozen pages or so in. It feels very much like DD, but also different from her other works, mostly because of the coined (is it coined? I'm completely ignorant on whether Romansch is real or made up, which is a dead good sign that if it's made up she's doing it right) language.

If anything, what the language use most reminds me of is Donna Barr's "Barrvarian" in the Stinz stories.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

im just curcious but can u buy the book in a store like Barnes and Nobles?
        "Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance!" I would rather be hated for who i am than be loved for who i pretend to be!
        "People...stop being mean to each other.
        Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane in chat.
        "T

Comment

No. The whole problem is that the publisher who bought the book (Corgi) didn't feel like bringing it out, and reverted the rights back to DD. And she's been looking for some way, other than traditional publishing, to get it out to her readers.

Comment

Aha! Finally! It appears that now Firefox 1.5 has decided to work with infopop and let me post.

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the "taste test" first two chapters? I've tried to look at it now using the 2 links on the site, and in both cases, was informed that "the file is damaged and cannot be repaired." I am excruciatingly niele, but would hate to Paypal my $5.99 (yes, I'm cheap, but my husband and I just bought a business, so we're broke too) and receive a file I couldnae read.
            "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

After due reflection, I thought maybe Adobe Reader 7.0 wasn't sufficient, and just spent several minutes installing version 7.0.5 Still no soap.

Rats.

Anyone out there who downloaded the first 2 chapters want to send them to me as an attachment? I am now eaten up with curiosity.

Comment

With the actual book, I got a warning that it needed a more recent version of Adobe Reader. So i told it to check for updates. Apparently there weren't any. But I can read the book anyway, providing Christmas will just stop getting in the way.

I downloaded the sample chapters from Owlsprings when they were HTML pages, back when Corgi were going to publish it, so I didn't bother with the current sample chapters.

Later: Huh. I was going to email you those, but I can't find them - I must not have kept them.
                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Nope, no problems for me either with the paid file, or the sample chapters.

Meteorite, it sounds to me as if you didn't finish downloading the file or something, rather than a browser problem. Did you click on the "Read online" link? Or do a right click and "save link as..." type thing?

Comment

I tried both, before and after 7.0.5, and neither worked. I can read the version kli6 sent me though, so it is a puzzlement. Maybe now that I've rebooted my computer I'll go back and see if the programs are more inclined to play nicely together.

*snorts in confusion*

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowWizard:
                      im just curcious but can u buy the book in a store like Barnes and Nobles?
                      The answer is still no, but in this Out of Ambit post, she says she's going to do first a CafePress edition, and then a Lulu.com edition.

So there will be paper copies you can actually hold, but you won't be able to get them in shops, only online.

Comment

meteorite posted on 7 Aug, 2006 16:37
                        a.k.a. Raetian Tales

There had been a previous thread on this subject, but it got locked.

Thanks to the munificence of some of our Admin people (you know who you are! ) I was able to finally read the first several e-chapters in the book. However, I am addicted to the dead tree version of books, just because they don't require anything to make them go but a light source and hands and eyes. Admittedly, my eyes are poor. Will there ever be a dead tree version of AWFTS? One was promised some time ago, but afaik, never became available. If it is, would someone please send me the purchase link? Thanks!

[Unlocked the thread, and moved the post here. Sorry to lose your attribution! --kli]

Comment

DD's blog does make it seem there were definite and imminent plans for a Cafepress book. I suppose they were affected by Cafepress moving their book production.

DD is busy with The Big Meow until November. Plus there's Empty Chair and A Wizard of Mars.... Maybe the most direct way to ask would be to comment on the actual WftS blog, which seems to allow commenting. (I'm assuming DD is notified of comments on her blogs somehow.)

Comment

By some wild coincidence, I picked up the printout I made from the PDF today, and am reading this again. I'm so ashamed I haven't finished it yet... I'm up the part where the bull's been appearing for three years.

Damn, I'm going to want the sequels to this, aren't I?

The oddest thing is the way it reminds me of the really early Donna Barr "Stinz" comics...

Comment

Thank you, DD! Paperback is now available -- The link to the Lulu sales site is on her blog, for anyone who prefers hardcopy rather than electrons.

Comment

Working...
                              X