The Wounded Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wounded Sky

I just finished reading this book, and it was so great! I could easily tell Diane's style. There were also several references to the YW universe, including ailurin, the Speech, the Powers and wizardries. The characters (from the Star Trek universe) performed several...I'm going to say rituals, but that's not the word I'm looking for, that closely resembled a wizardry. Like the anticipation, like lightning was going to strike and the building of power, etc. Anyways, it was a really great book! I'm going to read Dark Mirror next.
    ~Rachel

Now we can talk about the Star Trek novels! IMHO, you only need to worry about order with the Rihannsu novels. I think this is a list of all the Star Trek novels in publication order (if I'm missing something, somebody let me know, and I'll edit). I've bolded the Rihannsus.<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>1983 - Wounded Sky<LI>1984 - My Enemy, My Ally<LI>1987 - The Romulan Way (w/PM)<LI>1988 - Spock's World<LI>1990 - Doctor's Orders<LI>1993 - Dark Mirror (ST:TNG)<LI>1997 - Intellivore (ST:TNG)<LI>2000 - Swordhunt<LI>2000 - Honor Blade<LI>(????) - The Empty Chair[/list]
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Oh, I adore all the references in WS, some of which I know I don't get because I just haven't read the right things. The Song of the Twelve shows up in "Dark Mirror" and the dragons from the Door series in "Intellivore" but WS is what got me addicted to Ms. Duane in the first place. A friend lent me the book for a trip across the country, and by the time I got back I had to buy her a new one because I'd worn the old one so badly.

"Sir, we have data from the Lesser Magellanic that would seem to indicate that the Universe in this neighborhood is either blowing up, or stuck. Would you come and tell us which?"

Comment

I intend to buy all of the ones listed that I don't have, if I can get my mom to take me to the used bookstore again...but anyways, I love references like that, too!
        ~Rachel

Comment

Ah, then what you want is the full DD bibliography.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Yes! I love these! The TNG ones not so much, but that's just me, not DD - I'm more of a TOS fan than TNG. Also, there are Sulamids in both (the same? ) universe, and walking trees, and there was apparently a Horta at Tom and Carl's "promotion" party. I also love some of the filk she includes.
            Les M
            "Look. We can stay on Earth. We can keep tumbling about in orbiting Tinkertoys. Or we can walk the moon again and prepare for Mars. I can't imagine an easier choice." -- Charles Krauthammer

Comment

Oh! Another YW/Trek similarity: Dr. Who cameos.

Comment

I was going through my Wall O' Paperbacks, and discovered that I had duplicates of books 3 and 4 in the Romulan series, Swordhunt and Honor Blade. Should anyone wish to read them and not have access to them through, say, your local library, I will give them away free of charge to the first person who asks. They will be sent via Media Mail, however, so be patient with the shipping.
                "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

p.s. If anyone decides they want them, please PM me, as I only check this thread infrequently, and often it's buried several pages down.
                  "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                  "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Working...
                  X