Anime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
    But loving anime and manga and not knowing who Tezuka was is kind of like loving high epic fantasy and not knowing who Tolkien was.
    *sigh* If only this were a less-plausible scenario...

Or at least, it would have been plausible before Peter Jackson got into the mix. Now, it would be a bit more difficult. (And is it sad that when I watched "The Color of Magic", my first reaction was "Hey, Sam and Saruman are in this"?)
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I need a new anime to watch, could you name a few that I might like? I've watched:
      Sailor Moon
      Inuyasha
      and just started Ah! My Goddess

I really enjoy shows that are clean, have romance, humor and adventure like Sailor Moon and Inuyasha.

And I prefer dubbed.
      Last edited by bookgirl; August 16, 2009, 01:53:14 AM.
      "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

How clean's "clean", Bookgirl?

Fruit's Basket's not bad and seems to fit a lot of what you're looking for. But most of the stuff I watch and read has some degree fanservice in it, so I'm not sure where to draw the line anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Nights Mistress View Post
          How clean's "clean", Bookgirl?

Fruit's Basket's not bad and seems to fit a lot of what you're looking for. But most of the stuff I watch and read has some degree fanservice in it, so I'm not sure where to draw the line anymore.
          Umm... Probably PG-13 or below, if that makes sense. Something without a ton of fanservice in it. (I'd never heard that term before, I had to google it. lol)

Comment

I actually don't know what that rating means to me, so I'll just aim low and hope I don't go too far!

Cardcaptor Sakura - the anime is pretty rubbish from what I heard (the US release, that is, the original is better), but the manga is cute. Just ... uh ... Rika and her teacher are just Good Friends. Really!

My nephew's raving about the Bleach and D.Gray-man anime, but I'm not certain if that's what you're looking for. They're more shounen, which is to say that the focus is on fighting the enemy rather than on interpersonal relationships.

Darker than Black, when you're a bit older? It's a really good show, but it contains a naked dude and lady at some point, so you might skip that.

Fruits Basket is another one that you might like.

Anything by Studio Ghibli? (Watch me misspell that)

Comment

I actually don't know what that rating means to me, so I'll just aim low and hope I don't go too far!

Cardcaptor Sakura - the anime is pretty rubbish from what I heard (the US release, that is, the original is better), but the manga is cute. Just ... uh ... Rika and her teacher are just Good Friends. Really!

My nephew's raving about the Bleach and D.Gray-man anime, but I'm not certain if that's what you're looking for. They're more shounen, which is to say that the focus is on fighting the enemy rather than on interpersonal relationships.

Darker than Black, when you're a bit older? It's a really good show, but it contains a naked dude and lady at some point, so you might skip that.

Fruits Basket is another one that you might like.

Anything by Studio Ghibli? (Watch me misspell that)
              Well I'm 20, so I'm plenty old enough, I just prefer to watch shows that are a little, uh, cleaner for lack of a better word. I've heard quite a bit about Cardcaptor Sakura, so maybe I'll check that out.

I'm guessing you don't live in the States? PG-13 simply means for audiences 13 and over, because of swearing and other such content.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Oh gosh, I'm sorry! I tend to assume that the average age of the forum is in their mid to late teens, which clearly was pretty dumb of me. And yeah, I'm Australian.

Comment

Oh gosh, I'm sorry! I tend to assume that the average age of the forum is in their mid to late teens, which clearly was pretty dumb of me. And yeah, I'm Australian.
                  Haha, thats ok! Its easy to do with this group, with such a range of ages.

I'd never heard of Studio Ghibli before, (which you spelled right, by the way). So I looked it up with Wiki, they did Kiki's Delivery Service, that was one of my favorite movies when I was younger.

Comment

The Ghibli stuff, if it's by Miyazaki, is pretty safe for pre-teen (and possibly younger). The only one I'd rate at R for violence is Princess Mononoke (flying heads, blood spurting, that kind of thing). My Neighbor Totoro and Ponyo are safe for 5 year olds, though.

Takahata's films, otoh, I'd say are PG-15 to R, depending. My Neighbors the Yamadas and Only Yesterday are ok, but Pompoko has some raunchy raccoons in it, so if suggestive stuff makes you uncomfortable, better wait. Graveyard of the Fireflies is gorgeous, haunting, elegaic and makes me bawl my eyes out and turns me into a sobbing mess every time I watch it--no happy endings here. That one can rip your guts out. Great movie, but some seriously heavy going.

I've mentioned it before, but absolutely innocuous and kawaii beyond belief, is Chi's Sweet Home: Chi's New Address. I love the heck out of it.

And if you like the girls' high school soap opera vibe, I also really enjoyed Princess Nine, which is about a girls' high school baseball team that wants to play at Koshien in the national baseball competition against all the boys' teams.
                    Last edited by Kathy Li; August 18, 2009, 05:45:03 AM.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Ouran High School Host Club has been running around my head lately, taunting me to rewatch it. Then there's The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, mainly just called Haruhi by the fans. Full Metal Alchemist, or FMA. Nauto was the first one I was ever introduced to and I'm still a fan in passing. I kind of like a bunch of others but those are my favorites. *slurps tea*
                      Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
                      "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
                      "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

I got totally and utterly addicted to Ouran High Host club... **Can't believe there were only 26 episodes** Still, there's the manga! It's just not as addicting... I recommend subbed, though - the voices are better.
                        Also watching Ah! My goddess D.N.Angel, and just for kicks, naruto! All subbed. Finished fruit basket ((Subbed)) and occasionally watch mermaid melody for laughs ((subbed.))
                        ...i swear, it's like sailor moon and the little mermaid had a love child and forgot to tell me. It's not terribly good, but the novelty makes for fun watching every once in a while, just so that i can laugh a bit.
                        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Oh yeah, subbed all the way. The only anime I've found with good english voice actors was FMA. I watche dit first that way and it was great. InuYasha's voices are tolerable, barely but it's all that's on in some places at two in the morning and all. I have heard that ther's gonna be a second season of Ouran. It just has to get shifted overseas and subbed and whatnot. I hope it's true, and if it is I can't wait.
                          Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
                          "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
                          "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

I prefer dubbed anime. I like being able to focus on the story and the art instead of reading subs. But for some animes I watch it subbed. I'm watching Cardcaptor Sakura subbed right now, I started watching it dubbed but I could tell how much it had been edited so I switched to subs. I also switch back and forth between the subbed and dubbed versions of Sailor Moon, love them both. I've been watching the new season of Inuyasha subbed, and I actually prefer the dubbed version.

Dragon Writer. I love Ah! My Goddess. Such a cute show. It's one of those where I think that the dub is actually better than the subbed.

I just started watching Rurouni Kenshin. I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet, but it seems interesting. The animation reminds me a lot of Sailor Moon.

Edit: Actually I have a question about Cardcaptor Sakura. Why is it that Sakura's father calls her Sakura-san? I had always thought that the honorific was dropped with family.
                            Last edited by bookgirl; December 5, 2009, 03:43:16 AM.

Comment

My favorite anime currently are Haruhi and Ouran. Though Ouran sometimes makes me want to stab my eyes out from the disproportionate limbs. I have a hard time watching anime when the people are all awkward and gawky like that - it's why I couldn't get past the first episode of Code Geass.

I honestly prefer manga. My favorite manga of all time is Rurouni Kenshin - I can't watch the anime anymore because the manga is just so much better. And I'll read pretty much anything else by Nobuhiro Watsuki; I've read Buso Renkin and I'm trying to get my hands on Gunblaze West and the Frankenstein comic. I also like anything to do with .hack. I read the first two volumes of The Third; are there any more, does anyone know? I really enjoyed it but the second volume sounded kind of final and I couldn't find any more volumes at the library.

Does anyone know a good place to find light novels? I've been looking for the English versions of the Haruhi novels for a while now, but I can't find them...

Comment

http://www.animefreak.tv/ suits almost all my anime and manga needs... though i would recommend checking to make sure they have everything - they're missing the second season of Ah! My goddess

I liked the Ranma 1/2 dub better - but i haven't tried the Ah! My goddess dub.
                                I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                                X