Anime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime

Lately, I have become addicted to crunchyroll.com. We likes legal licensing, we does.

I started out with Natsume Yujincho, which was obviously created by folks who'd watched Miyazaki waaaaay too much in their formative years. It's got a nice sort of elegaic tone to it that I like, and the fact that stuff doesn't revolve at all around a romantic triangle/school is veddy nice. It's about a boy who can see spirits, just like his grandmother did.

Then, I moved on to Skip Beat! which is hysterical in every sense of the word. The characters go chibi about every 10 seconds. I love the fact that the heroine spends about a fifth of each episode wreathed in black and purple flames, and folks are frightened to go near her. Stick with it past the first episode, because the setup for the series doesn't come clear until about episode 3. I'm not even gonna try to explain the setup. But if you like acting, this is the one for you.

After that, I found the anime for band/orchestra geeks, La Corda d'Oro: Primo Passo. This one is school-based, but it's all about the instrumental music and the school-wide competition. Having been in a civic youth orchestra in my day, I just find it fun. Although, omg, romantic polygons'r'us.

And then, because, hey, sometimes I get brave and like to megaoverdose on kawaii, there's the kitteh anime series, Chi's Sweet Home: Chi's New Address (it's a second series, but it's easy to figure out the backstory). The episodes are a whopping three minutes long, and each episode exactly corresponds to the manga chapter. It's about a kitten who gets lost from her mother and siblings and ends up with a small family in a no-pets apartment. Naturally, this being Japan, they've never owned a pet before and aren't quite sure how to raise a kitten or interpret what she's doing.

What anime are you watching?
    Last edited by Kathy Li; April 30, 2009, 07:06:08 PM.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

I probably mentioned this already, but a new girl in Ael's Rainbow Assembly was visiting the other day, and brought over her copy of the anime based on Fruits Basket. Ael promptly headed out and bought the first volume of the manga -- more to follow as money allows. :-)
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I'm not a big fan of Anime, however, I love Sailor Moon. I have since I was about 7. I hadn't watched it for years, and then last summer break I was bored and decided to watch some of the shows I used to watch when I was younger, and I got hooked on Sailor Moon all over again. I've watched both versions, the original and the dub. I love both! *GASP* A lot of people hate the dub, but I love it. The VA's and music are great.
      I've also just started watching InuYasha. I wasn't going to watch it because I've heard it just ends, that there is no real ending. And I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch a show that would leave me hanging like that. But I watched about 3 episodes and got hooked, I've watched like 30 episodes in two weeks.
      "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

I have one bookcase for books, and one for manga, anime DVDs, Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat issues, and manhwa. My room is a complete fire hazard. Tee hee
        I mostly like fantasy, romance and adventure, but also some from the realistic and shonen genre.
        My absolute favorites are Kare Kano, Aqua/Aria, Flame of Recca, and Earth Maiden Arjuna
        "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
        -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Welcome to the forums, NoxLight! (I almost called you FoxLight. Whoops!) Have fun in here. Try not to go insane... he he.
          "Just how have I failed to notice Neets is hot?" ~Kit

~Lover of great books ever since she could read~

Comment

I love Ultra Maniac and Deathnote. I used to watch sailor moon when i was little, but yeah, lets not go there....

I just started reading another series called Last Name.

But i'm kinda sad b/c I haven't been to the book store in about two months!!!
            The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

This is how I know I'm very very old. When I was little, the anime serieses we watched were Speed Racer (Mach Go-Go-Go), Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) and Kimba the White Lion. Maybe Astro Boy if you had a really cool bizarre indie tv station near you.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

you've provably seen those dollar DVDs they used to (or may still have) at WMT, well Kimba and other classics like those were in there, so now my brother wathes things I never even saw
                The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

I just find it slightly appalling that there are folks out there who'd consider themselves otaku who don't even know the name Osamu Tezuka. The comments on crunchyroll sometimes make me shake my head. I was looking at the episodes of Black Jack and someone there was complaining about the art style being "too Disney" and someone else took them to task about how it was Tezuka, and then claimed that Tezuka was an inspiration to Disney. When it was really the other way around.

But loving anime and manga and not knowing who Tezuka was is kind of like loving high epic fantasy and not knowing who Tolkien was. Or loving English literature but not recognizing Shakespeare's name. Tezuka practically invented the industries of anime and manga single-handedly. His stuff is incredibly weird and dark and insanely good. Kimba as we got it over here, is not the way he wrote it. Ditto Astro Boy. I've only recently been able to find some of his more classic manga, translated into english. Buddha was really good, and you can probably find it at the local library if yours is anything like mine. But be prepared, it starts with a rabbit immolating itself and just gets more violent from there.

One of the big reasons I love crunchyroll is that not only do they have the newer stuff, but they've managed to get Toei to put up more classic series like Galaxy Express 999 and Captain Harlock. I remember when you couldn't get anime over here, and we would crowd around television sets watching fifth-generation bootleg VHS tapes of unsubbed episodes of Harlock or Miyazaki films at conventions...

...sometimes, I'm intensely frustrated that the only manga/anime we ever get are all teenage/sf/fantasy-based stuff. There's so much more out there. OTOH, at least we get a decent selection of translated goods. When it comes to , you can't even say that much: all you can find is Tintin and Asterix.
                  Last edited by Kathy Li; May 28, 2009, 11:51:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
                    This is how I know I'm very very old. When I was little, the anime serieses we watched were Speed Racer (Mach Go-Go-Go), Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) and Kimba the White Lion. Maybe Astro Boy if you had a really cool bizarre indie tv station near you.
                    You forgot Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato). :-) I loved watching it when I could -- I love it more now that I know it was the same sort of long-arc storytelling that JMS made us love on Babylon 5. One of these days I actually have to either watch those episodes I downloaded or buy the DVDs so I can watch it on the big screen.
                    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Grin. Ah.. those pre-Carl Macek days. Remember how we all watched and loved Robotech even though we knew it was An Abomination....?

And speaking of abominations, when the hell is the Miyazaki Jr./Studio Ghibli version of Earthsea (Gedo Senki) going to finally be able to get over here when the rights for the godawful Sci-Fi Channel adaptation lapse? I thought it was gonna be last year....

Comment

Just in case (and i know this is highly unlikely) that anybody else was a Hayao Miyazaki and Sherlock Holmes fan, I note that Crunchyroll has put up episodes of Sherlock Hound. I have the dvd set, so I've already seen them, but this is really early Miyazaki when he was still working in television. He directed six of the episodes.

Sadly, crunchyroll only gives you the dub, not the sub.
                        Last edited by Kathy Li; July 5, 2009, 07:20:24 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know it's bad of me as an admin to break the language rules, but sometimes you just need something really really forceful. But I'll keep it as an acronym. So, here goes. OMFG: Miyazaki is coming to Comic-Con.

This totally makes up for for two things: that 1980--the year before I started attending Comic-Con Tezuka was GoH. And that this year, the Doctor Who Panel (complete with Russell T. Davies and David Tennant) is going to be at a time when I can't possibly get in.

Comment

Exciting news for those of you who are Inuyasha fans!!! The series ran for 167 episodes without a conclusion. The manga was still being written when they started the anime, and when they ran out of material they stopped making the anime. It was just announced that there will be another season of Inuyasha! There have been a ton of rumors about it, and they've all been fake. This one is real!

I'm so excited! I just got started on this anime and love it, I'm excited that it will have a conclusion!

Here is the link for the article:
                            http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nime-green-lit
                            "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

I did just want to point out for the other Miyazaki fans that Ponyo will be opening soon in the US (Aug 14). The clip I saw at Comic-Con looks freaking amazing, and the trailer gives you a taste.
                              Last edited by Kathy Li; August 6, 2009, 09:14:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X