Taking life seriously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking life seriously

Does anyone do that? I don't. I kind of pity people who do. I just... flow. I was chatting with a girl I know, I found the conversation so amusing I'm going to post it here. Tell me what you think:

aya: no tests for tomorrow right?

me: i am so the wrong person to ask

aya: thought so
    but it doesnt hurt

me: if there is
    don't tell me
    because i'm not going to study anyhow
    new motto:
    well
    old motto
    put into new words:
    Dancing through life
    No need to tough it
    When you can slough it off as I do
    Nothing matters
    But knowing nothing matters
    It's just life
    So keep dancing through...

aya: hehehe
    issue: you cant live ur life like that
    some things must b taken seriously

me: like....

caya: in general

me: in general what?

aya: life in general must b taken seriously

me: i beg to differ
    sorry

aya: ok as u wish!

me: =)
    I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
    -- Charles Shulz

I agree with you there is no point to freak out about everything.
    "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Everything, no. Some things, yes. I think everything is about balance when it comes down to it - i do the work i need to, and study as i need too... but other than that, i do my best to have fun.
      It's a shame when someone spends so much time being serious, they never really have the chance to live. But if you spend all your time just having fun... things aren't going to work out so well, either.
      And some things do need to be taken seriously - like friendships. If my friends are hurt, and need me, i AM going to be serious about it. When my friend is asking for help, there's no time to just go off and goof. That's part of what being a friend is about - and yeah, keeping things light and happy is something that helps your friends, too... but sometimes, they're going to need something solid to lean on, and you have to be prepared for either, far as i'm concerned. ((Yes, this is a specific category, but you DID ask for examples in that conversation of yours.))
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

That's a good point too but I don't actually study much but I might for the upcoming finals. It is good to help your friends though if they need it.
        "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

I do little studdying - i said as much as I need. I never said i felt that to be a very big amount. :P
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I think there's a difference between "taking life seriously" and "making life sober and dull". Relating this back to the forum subject in question, you'd definitely say that the YW characters take life very seriously. Of course, they take life seriously by going on exchange visits, going swimming with whales, carving phone numbers into the moon surface and creating worlds full of squirrels to chase. If you do things that lead you to enjoy your life, then you're taking life seriously! Studying is taking life seriously, for example, because it leads to you getting better grades, which generally people enjoy. (And if you don't then I will trade with you!) Or you may enjoy studying for the joy of learning!

Comment

While it is fun to connect this to the characters - the forum subject in question had nothing to do with them... It was a completely a matter of personal preferences. But it is an interesting subject - I think they take life seriously, because, no matter what anyone says - somebody has to. Otherwise, the world would fall apart. Or all of life in their case.

Comment

Iiii think you missed my point there. The characters are an example of people who take life seriously without removing all the joy out of it, and so that informed my answer.

It sounds like the discussion's conflating taking things seriously with not enjoying yourself, hence my adding that in as a literary example of people who enjoy life and take it seriously. I mean, I could talk about my own life, but you don't know me that well. The characters, you do. XD

Comment

Oh... sorry. :P Just sounded ((to me at least, so again sorry)) like you were trying to get back on a topic we'd never left.

You can find a lot of references to stuff like that, far as i'm concerned - but people, even in literature, often fall into the trap of going too far to one side or the other.

Comment

Me? I do what school work requires, not a drop more... but I still get good grades. I study a little, and finish all of my homework. I don't do anything for extra credit, putting in more work, etc.- nothing like that. Any extra time I use as free time.

Comment

Dragon Writer- I know I made it seem like I take NOTHING seriously, but on one thing I do agree with you and that is friendship. I take my friendships more seriously than anything else.
                      Night Mistress, I liked the way you brought it back to YW and I agree. I'm kind of just utterly lazy at heart and I sort of deal with it by trying not to care too much about anything, which is very bad and isn't really true at all. I've been blowing off school because it really sucks for me right now and, trying not to take life seriously is the easy lazy way out.
                      I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
                      -- Charles Shulz

Comment

Easy's not always best - but sometimes we just NEED easy, i suppose. Still, if you find something important enough to you that it warents fighting for, you can't just take the lazy way - not saying everything is going to be that important, but if you aren't prepared to be serious when it is, you'll miss out on a lot.

Comment

Working...
                        X