If you could have one power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could have one power.

So if you could one power, what would it be? It can only be ONE. It cannot be a hybrid. It can't be something as crazy as destroy the universe power or the world.

Here's the catch, you have to name the pros of the power, and the cons of the power. As well as it's weaknesses. I'm considering writing a story that involves super powers so I wanna see what people come up with.

There is no poll in this because you are coming up with a power that would suit yourself.

For me: I'm not sure. Probably telepathy.

Pros: Get to read peoples thoughts, and toy with peoples thoughts, get your way easier.

Cons: May not always hear things you like, have a tendency to answer a person's thoughts rather than spoken words.

Weakness: To many voice and not being able to tune it out or just turn it into one annoying noise.

Well let's see what you can come up with.

--bookworm438
    Visit KasChat Network!

Good question. I guess I've always wanted the power of telekinesis.

Pro: Able to move things around without having to move yourself, for example if you're babysitting three kids, you can get something from the kitchen without having to leave the children alone.

Con: It's unnatural, not everyone would appreciate it.

Weakness: If I get angry, it could come out of control, like the objects around me would lift in the air and might accidentally hit someone.
    Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
    Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
    It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
    Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

I would have to say healing.

Pros: To hold the power to save life, to end it if needed.

Cons: always feeling the need to heal, possibly have the power and energy taken out of you.

Weakness: Fear of getting too close to people, as you could loose them to sickness or injury, and be helpless to heal them.
      There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
      "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

I would probably also go with healing, however I would specify mental and emotional healing/coping is part of this. It fits with how I work as a person anyways and would just make what I do more extreme. I already will go out of my way doing anything I can for someone if they're physically or emotionally hurt, and am good at calming people down. While it is painful, there is something immensely satisfying in helping a calm a friend down who is having a panic attack even if in doing so you almost give yourself a migraine.

From my experience of trying to do things like this in real life anyways, I would say the weakness is slightly different from what Stormwind said - to me it is not fear of losing them so much as the extreme disappointment in yourself and depression that comes from not being able to help. The depression that comes from the inability to help, or even just feeling like you cannot help, is more of the weakness to me.

If you are adding in mental aspects then there would also require being very careful to not trying to remove people's problems and prevent them from growing. I'd not want that to be possible, but even so, there would be a large amount of balancing when to help them cope and make them deal with the problems to grow as a person. Help in coping to learn how to deal would be something I would want to do though.
        We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Hmmm...interesting.

I like the possible weaknesses for all the powers. I've never considered healing for a power. I mean I considered regeneration, but never healing of someone else. Tell me tuttle or Storm, could you heal yourself or are you limited to only healing others?
          Visit KasChat Network!

Comment

Healing

I would have to say that no, I wouldn't have the power to heal myself... except at the possibility of not being able to heal someone else if I did use the power to heal something I suffered. The balance would have to be weighed, but I would think that the energy to heal yourself would be so much more than the energy to heal others....
            There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
            "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Power: Speech, sort of. I would love to be able to read, write, speak, and understand every language in the universe, living or dead.

Pros: KNOWLEDGE! And being able to have a steady translation job forever

Cons: Having to listen to stupid things like worms and cereal.

Weakness: Not being able to "filter out" things without a lot of concentration: An airport would be overwhelming. Ditto for which language you happen to be speaking at the time.
              I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

HI, I am new here.

I would probably want the power of flying!

Pro: You can fly in the air, and get places MUCH faster!

Con: If you get too high up then you can suffacate. But if you get too far down people will see you.
                I love to read and write stories!

Comment

I would have the power of being able to emanate happiness, to myself and others. Whenever my friends were sad I could make things better, and I would never have to wallow in sadness. I could make whole groups of people happy, and possibly even be the greatest diplomat in the world because I could get the two sides in one room, happy and not arguing.
                  The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                  I promise not to funfun anymore
                  Be happy cause life is good

Comment

If I could have only one power, it would be the power to reveal or obscure the truth to anyone in any situation as I see fit.

Pros: i can keep people from finding out what they don't need to know, thus securing my rep. and safety.
                    i can also reveal the truth to people in cases of malicious gossip and rumors, or in cases of false accusation be it by parents, or anyone being criminally charged.

Cons: i can't alter the truth with this one power, I can only ontorl who sees it and who doesn't.

Weaknesses: see cons, plus if the person was present to see the truth, it cannot be concealed from them.

(i originally thought to say the power of teleportation, but then I thought, why teleport to secretly, or quickly, get to and from places, if you can simply justify any of your means to anyone.)

btw, good luck with ur book. i'm currently writing a book also. The biggest obstacle is not inspiration, but determination. I attempted 2 write a book many times as a kid, and i would use the initial inspiration 2 write the 1st 3-5 pgs, then i'd never have the drive to get back to it again. This time I used the initial inspiration 2 start, and i simply continued to tell the story and develop the plot using scenes I derived from my own experiences and those of my close friends. It really is that easy if you believe that it is. Believe-ing is everything, as I'm sure u know.
                    The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

I would want Teleportation. I could go anywhere I wanted anytime I wanted.

Comment

Being able to act without a body of any kind. No i wont explain how that works, cuz it doesn't work which is why i want it XD.

pros: none of those really irritating phisical disabiletys like needing to go to the bathroom.

cons: even if there was some way for me to interact with the world and communicate, everyone would almost definitely think of me as a monster of some kind.

weaknesses: idk, i have no idea how much power one would have if they could still act without a body. I would assume that it would be annoying trying to stay at ground level though, because your not effected by gravity 0.0
                        There is always a price, but who pays it is optional.

Comment

I think if I had a power it would be transformation. Like being able to turn into different animals, even a mythological beast.

Pros: I could turn into anything, and gain the powers of that creature. So I might be able to fly, swim, or do specific kinds of magic.

Cons: I can't communicate with other creatures, even the one I'm inhabiting, because I keep my human mind alongside the "instincts" of that creature. I also can't communicate with humans while transformed.

Weaknesses: The energy it takes is tiring. Also I am not recognized as powerful as a human being, and that means predators would be a danger.

Comment

Hmmm... that's hard. Probably shape shifting, though. Like animals, or even people you know well,

Pros: You could fly, dig climb, hide, scare people and pretty much do anything.

Cons: It would tire you (I agree with doratheia) and it would probably taake a while to shift. And your clothes couldn't come with you.

Weakness: You would have a mark or something, so someone could easily find you if they knew what they are looking for.
                            "Just how have I failed to notice Neets is hot?" ~Kit

~Lover of great books ever since she could read~

Comment

I would have to say... telekenisis.
                              Pros: Lifting up items with your mind, crush things.
                              Cons: Well, for one thing, you could be thinking of something, and then it could be crushed, or continuasly be smashed up and down.
                              weakness: well...um.... maybe... low gravity?
                              Last edited by trevbook; May 23, 2009, 06:23:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X