Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you like the new forum format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do you like the new forum format?

I've used this format for forums before, so I'm familiar with it. There are things the old style did that I liked: the recent postings box, the ShoutBox, the layout in general was easier to 'read'. As I become accustomed to this look, I will probably find more to like about it, but it seems pretty vanilla atm. Still, if it saves DD money, it's good.

Any suggestions people would like to see?
    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

What I'd really like is for the skins to be a fixed width and not adjusting to the user's screen, for two reasons: I have a widescreen and reading long lines makes me lose my place a lot, and different widths could cause post length controversy. It'd also be good to have a standard order/set of icons at the top of the page for each skin, and for the Smart Blue skin to have a Logout button (those come in handy sometimes ).

Also a Shoutbox and for the readable members list to be enabled would be very nice, but it wouldn't be the end of my world if those privileges weren't granted.
    Last edited by EricG1793; December 9, 2008, 04:35:11 PM.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Eric, if you choose a skin which is 'fixed' rather that 'fluid' then it is a fixed width. They have both fluid and fixed options. I think those which don't say fluid default to fixed, but I am unsure about that.

I like having both options. I also like how despite it being unusual the layouts are meant to work as small as 800x600, places are phasing that out and despite not having that small of a screen its irritating to me.

As for the entire new site, I like it. I like not having a different window to type in, and while it doesn't matter to most people, the ability to post in a text-based browser. I also like the new posts it is here rather than on the top of the front screen, the one on the front page now doesn't always update whether things have been read by me or not, but they're shinkable and that works well.

I just wish I could use threaded/hybrid mode with TOGR, but that's somewhat sensible to not work with the rediculousness which is TOGR.
      We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
        It'd also be good to have a standard order/set of icons at the top of the page for each skin, and for the Smart Blue skin to have a Logout button (those come in handy sometimes ).
        Indeed it does. :-) I added the logout link to the MEMBERS.AREA in Smart Blue. Good enough?
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Tuttle: As it stands now, there's only one that specifies that it's fixed. The others that aren't specified seem to be fluid, since they take up either 100% the width of my screen or leave only about a half inch from it. Blueworld is only available in Fluid; it was in fixed also, but that disappeared (it was my favorite ).

Garett: That works out perfectly for me.
          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
            Tuttle: As it stands now, there's only one that specifies that it's fixed. The others that aren't specified seem to be fluid, since they take up either 100% the width of my screen or leave only about a half inch from it. Blueworld is only available in Fluid; it was in fixed also, but that disappeared (it was my favorite ).
            I've just been relabeling the styles to make it clearer which are fixed and which are fluid.

Re the fixed version of Blueworld: it developed instabilities associated with the new ad sidebar and had to be removed. (Blue Noise may have to go the same way if we can't sort it out.)
            Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
            X