Clear All

• Veganism

Here's why:

You save water
    and energy
    less animals die
    less people die due to world hunger
    it is good for your health
    and you'll live an average of 15 years longer (for healthwise reasons, so don't expect to live after insulting the Lone One, heh)
    Now that I have your attention, check out this site for more details and GO VEGAN TODAY!!!!
    ... But he was looking through the window at the one joy from which he must be forever barred.

My mom is making fish tonight for dinner. I really oughta GO VEGAN TODAY. Like, right now.

I've tried to explain that 'you live <insert number> years long if..." thing to some of my friends, but they just didn't get it. What it means is you're expected to live about 15 years longer, assuming you don't get killed by violence or something stupid. Such as sticking your head out of a car window when you're holding down the 'up' button.
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

It's like what Nita said in AWH. Some things would rather be eaten than be wasted. And as dumb as cows are, and as much protein as I need, it would be wasting them to not use the Tri-Tip towards my bodily health. The weird part is that Tofu can taste almost like anything. I should learn to barbecue tofu.

Oh, and turkeys are stupid too.
      http://superdrea.net/

Comment

i was a vegan last year. It was too hard for me so i went back to eating meat. But i might try again.
        *ciao foro membro!*
        "lost time is never found again"-Benjamin Franklin
        "Don't let your education interfere with your schoolwork"-Mark Twain
        ~steph~

Comment

Err... just thought I'd put in a link to a counter-argument. There's no way I could go vegan: love my fish and shellfish and chicken and cheese and eggs and milk too much. I like pancakes too much to give them up.

And my freshman year in a college, I had a roomie who went vegetarian and ended up in the hospital from malnutrition, because her idea of eating vegetarian was to live off canned asparagus and air-popped popcorn. Which was, I suppose, vegetarian, but not, I think what most vegetarians would consider to be a proper diet.

Vegetarian doesn't necessarily equal healthy, unless you know what you're doing nutritionwise, including using the legumes & starch trick of fooling the body into thinking it's getting protein via the proper seven amino acids. No way around the beans.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I think I could go vegatarian, maybe. But NEVER EVER vegan, I would die without cheese and all of the other things vegans can't eat. Like ice cream, chocolate, cream cheese, or *shudders*.

My friend wants to be a vegan but her mom won't let her, which is pretty silly cause she's already a vegitarian, and she doen't like eggs, and she's alergic to dairy. So technically, she's a vegan.
            Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Comment

At first I was reluctant to give up Ice cream, but there are cool substitutes. I like Rice dream, My mom says it tastes like frozen mushed beans, but I like it, and there is soy-chicken that tastes good, and pancakes can be made without using dairy and eggs. I've also had sushi with a shellfish-free, fish-free, wheat based 'crab' in the middle, which was really good.

About your counter-argument:

The average American gets 6 times too much protein, which can prevent you from absorbing some nutrients that are nessesary for proper growth and nutrition.

Vitamin B12 can be found in fortified foods, It is fortified in my soy-milk.

Cholesterol is not problem if you are a vegan, (that was about vegetarians, who get cholesterol from eggs, milk etc.) your cholesterol intake is nothing because blood-cholesterol, which clog your arteries, is found only in animal products. That is because it produced by the liver.

And anyone, meat-eating or not, can become mal-nutrition. It is about getting exactly what your body needs, no more, no less.

I hope that cleared any confusion.
              ... But he was looking through the window at the one joy from which he must be forever barred.

Comment

Personally, I'd like to eat metal like the stationmaster species.

Comment

Just an issue in passing: since the section description says "Thoughts or news about the books that don't seem to fit anywhere else", I am moving this discussion to "Chatter II".
                  Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

HAPPY BDAY VEGAN_CHICK!
                    Anyways I have seen that veganism is one of the hardest things to do. 2 of my cousins and my aunt is a vegan. (But they're really skinny because of it.) The things I couldn't give up are:
                    Mango Sorbet
                    Chocolate
                    Bacon
                    Eggs
                    Milk
                    (Doesn't bread have eggs in it? I was just wondering. What would you eat instead of bread?!)
                    penguins will rule the world.

Comment

I agree, being a vegen would be pretty hard. I can see myself being a vegetarian, but I love lots or things vegens don't eat. Can vegetarians eat fish? (Shushi, tuna,...stuff like that) Get back to me on that one! Vegen chick, what do you think about me going vegetarian?

Comment

Good for your for doing that! I know I could never be a vegan, or even a vegetarian. There are so many things that I love that I would have to give up. I like meat. There's no way around that. I love hot dogs, even though I know exactly what's in them. (People keep trying to tell me: 'Hey, you know you're eating processed animal guts?' 'Yeah, and it's good!' )
                        But good for you. I imagine it's fulfilling.
                        *Ella*
                        "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                        There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                        And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                        What could mean more than this?"
                        --Bright Eyes

Comment

I

L
                          I
                          K
                          E

M
                          E
                          A
                          T

Sorry, I just had to say that. What exactly is a vegan?
                          Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                          ------------------------------------------------------------
                          "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

Meat is good... Though I thought of not eating cow for a while, suppsedly it's one of the reasons people are cutting down the rainforest. Something about needing more room for cows... but I like steak and hamburgers too much...
                            *Agent~M*
                            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                            "I could live

Comment

A vegan is someone who doesn't eat anything that comes from animals. (No milk, cheese, meat, ice cream, ect.)
                              A vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat!
                              There is a difference.
                              penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X