This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Favorite Young Wizards Book?

I voted. My favorite is Deep Wizardry mostly because I love the idea of the Song and whales being wizards.

My favorite of the Door books is probably The Door Into Sunset because it's the last one I read.

My favorite of DD's Star Trek books is My Enemy, My Ally because Ael is a helluva character and the combination of storytelling elements is just cherce.

My favorite short story of DD's is probably "Parting Gifts" because I love the kitten and it's so rare for someone to write a story with an old protagonist. But "Midnight Snack" comes damn close, because of its killer opening line. "My dad came down with the flu that day, so it was my turn to feed the unicorns."

My favorite YW short story is probably "Uptown Local", but that's because it's the only one I've read.

My favorite comic book story of DD's is probably "The Tale of Prince Ivan the Not-Too-Experienced" in The Dreamery simply for naming a weapon "The Ginsu Knife of Extreme Flexibility," but the Star Trek issue, "Double-Blind" comes close.

My favorite of the Marvel-syndicated characters is probably her X-MEN novel, Empire's End, because I like the X-Men more than Spiderman, and I can remember enthusing with Chris Claremont about her writing for half an hour or so.

My favorite animation script of hers is probably "The Lion and the Unicorn" for the Animated Batman series because I love that series as a whole, and seeing DD's name up on the screen was a gas.
    So You Want to be a Wizard
    10.00%
    Deep Wizardry
    25.00%
    High Wizardry
    10.00%
    A Wizard Abroad
    5.00%
    The Wizard's Dillema
    5.00%
    A Wizard Alone
    5.00%
    Wizard's Holiday
    15.00%
    Wizards at War
    20.00%
    Wizards on Mars (if you are subscribed)
    5.00%
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Poll: Favorite Young Wizards Book?

Choose the awesomest book!
    Here's a llama, there's a llama, and another little llama, fuzzy llama, funny llama, llama llama duck!

Comment

I voted "High wizardry", but to ell you the truth, I would've also gone for "A Wizard Alone". I chose "high Wizardry" over the other one, because in the end, to me, nothing beats advanced technology.
      "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
      -Terry Pratchett
      Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

I said "A Wizard Abroad" because I would love love love to visit Ireland someday. And I think it's amazingly awesome that you meet Ronan in that book too. I found there was a lot of humor in that book as well. I'm not a Nita/Ronan shipper, totally Nita/Kit, but I just love Ronan in general.
        Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
        Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
        It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
        Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

I know, I am probably the most boring voter... But I voted So You Want To Be a Wizard. I loved all the other ones, and I think that both Deep Wizardry and Wizards at War contained possibly the most suspence... but I like them all for different reasons equally. So, I voted So You Want To Be A Wizard because it was the book that got me started in the Young Wizards series.
          Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

I voted W@W. It was just simply amazing. But then again, they all are, aren't they? I've read them (and lent them out) so many times their covers are quite demolished!

SYWTBAW is just classic,
            DW is amazing-- the ocean! What's not to love!
            HW- Dairine was my favorite. Bologna-and-mustard sandwhiches
            WA- Emi, me too! I'm a little obsessed with my Irish side right now I'm listening to "The Old Ways" by Loreena McKennitt funnily enough...^^ And what isn't to love in Ronan as a <span class="ev_code_WHITE">first kiss boy</span>? Dang, if my math is right, Nita beat me by about a month, XD
            WD- just so powerful, I love every second of it.
            AWA- just true. Nothing more to say on that one
            WH- A much needed "holiday" from the gravity of the previous two books, and yet...still packs a punch.
            W@W- Don't get me started!

So, now that I've given that great summary on what I think of every book and it's publisher...

Dai Stiho!
            just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

I'd definately say my favorite book is A Wizard Abroad. I think I accidentally voted for another book on the poll, but my favorite is AWA. I LOVE Ireland and the whole thing on faeries and elven-like peoplein that book. And also the explaination of ghosts. The characters from this book are unforgettable (Well, so are all the rest of the YW characters, but...). Unfortunately, I haven't read Wizards at War or A Wizard of Mars. I have W@W, but I just don't have time to read it.

Anyway, I like how you created a poll! Before, it was just posting in the book's area, but I like polls more. Perhaps I'll go visit the AWA section to see what's there.

-- Poliester --
              From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

It's interesting to not only think about your favourite and why, but what the strengths of different books are

I definitely have moods where the only book which really fits for what I need to read is AWAl (as in this is the only book I own that fits, not even just the only YW book). For this reason that is one of the best books to me. How everything works with Darryl is impressive. I've also found that if you're feeling bad this is a very good book for cheering you up because of the amount of hope you can find in it. It also is a very interesting book to discuss to me, while I prefer others for the story, this one has the most for me personally to talk about.

As for if I want plot, I think I'd go for W@W. While all of them are addicting in some ways this one is more.

However, what I voted for (as I'd expect people to know just from what they know of me on here) is most definitely HW. Spot as a character is awesome. The mobiles are just fun, and what can beat combining a good story, computers, and magic. The interactions between Spot and Dairine are a strength in all of the books, but the focus on her in this one is just fun. There's the whole idea that computers need to be named, that computers have personalities, that there is more than a machine there that you can bond with, which you see in their interactions and not in the other characters. It shows things that can really make a difference in productivity in this world. And I mean, there's a computer which is a manual, that's just shiny.
                On the mobiles things are impressive too. The whole silicon based life just calls to me.

So I think most times you ask you'd get HW, though there are times when the reply you'd get is AWAl.
                We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

I voted for WD because it is just so powerful. I know, they all are, but this just tests everyones relationships with eachother. Kit saves Nita (sorta) and Dairine has to trust Nita with her mothers life (due to her power status) and although Betty does die, she goes out saving all of them (in a way). Plus, we get to meet Pont, Pralaya (another trust test), Kkirl, the Transcendent Pig, and Ponch discovers his 'finding' powers. I just think it's pretty cool.
                  Of course, SYWTBAW has the introduction to EVERYTHING; DW come on,It's the OCEAN!!; HW real computer wizards!; AWA Ireland and Ronan!!; AWD I've already explained; AWA some much hope and determination, and self sacrifice; WH Keks and the LP on our side?;W@W must you ask?
                  I absolutely ADORE all of them!!! oh, I can't wait till AWOM, can you?
                  ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

I voted A Wizard Alone. For me this was a very hard question to answer, I love all the books! I almost voted W@W because I like all the action. I really like HW, because all of the high-tech stuff. For about five minutes I stared at the computer screen before finally voting. It was so hard! It has also been awhile sense I read the books, so I kept having to try to remember what was in what book! It was so cool to see what books other people like.
                    Ars longa, vita brevis
                    (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

I voted Deep Wizardry, because out of all the books this one kinda has some sentimental value for me. It was back when I used to go to the beach all the time. But thinking about it, I really could've voted for almost any of the other books. The mobiles from HW are great! (I was thrilled to meet up was Gigo again in W@W.) And the Transcendent Pig in WD... X3 Really, it would take ages to list all the things that are "great!"

Comment

My vote was absolutely W@W because every book DD writes gets better and more complicated. Each book is unique and you absolutely need to read all of them to understand the entire W@W but it was still the best.(In my opinion) This is only because it uses ALL of the previously introduced characters and adds more. It added suspense and it was very much so a page-turner. All of these books were good, like so many people before me have said.

Comment

I havent read AWOM yet but I know its going to be good
                          *mind translator* "no duh"
                          Dai!

P.S. gone libraring

Comment

Deep Wizardry is best though very sad and scary in places....

Comment

SYWTBAW was definatley me favorite i think fred was an amazing character. it also showed the wizardly bond formed between eachother. 2 brand new inexpierienced(spelling) wizards and a white hole vs. death and the lone power, putting out the sun, raising trees and statues to form and army and reading from the light book. Come on top that ok so daraine created a species thats like her entire ordeal. so ya vote so you want to be a wizard cuz it's awesome.
                              It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
                              That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

Working...
                              X