Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite side character ( not Nita or KIT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite side character ( not Nita or KIT)

who is your favorite side character ( that not Nita or Kit) and why is that person or thing your favorite?

I would like to say Dairine but I don't consider her too much of a side character because she has ahd an entire book or so devoted to her. I just love cheering on her bouts of heavy determination, I find her personality endearing and I like the way she uses magic.
    Nita once described her as moving like a lazer beam full tilt everywhere. That is an adorable image for me for some reason.

Next in line though would probably be The great shark or one of the aliens, the transcendent pig or sk'ret (I think that's how you spell it, I suffer the name difficulties because I've done audio version for quite a few of the books.) I like the incite they give. The reason I like the master shark is mostly because i have a thing for sharks but also because I like the reasons he gives about what he does.

Comment

My fave's definitely Ronan. He's just a very fun character and he has quite a bit of depth at the same time. I can understand his whole struggle with doing the right thing or doing what he wants to do pretty well and I like the way DD handles his character and pokes some fun at him being pretty serious all the time.

Comment

I come back to the forums and the first thing I tackle is a pretty difficult question...

I'd have to agree with Crawl, Dairine is my favorite non-Nita/Kit character. I love her intelligence, her manual (I'd have a Macbook Manual myself, seeing as I'm typing this out on one ^_^), and how she tackles the big problems. Granted, it's the smaller problems being solved every day that keep things running smoothly, but it's just awesome when she *steps into a working model of the Wellakhit Sun, or even earlier when she takes "young" starmetal from the core of a star without cooking everything in the vicinity*.

After that would be Darryl. Some may say it's only because he's got the WizPod, another piece of shiny wizard-tech which, if only it were an iPad, would probably also give me a case of hardware envy, but that's not the only thing. He's also managed to overcome his Autism and is * an abdul, a major conduit for wizardry for Earth*. He's also a pretty cool kid, so overall he rates second.

After that is probably Dairine's trio of alien exchange wizards, Sker'ret, Filif and Roshaun (in no particular order). Close to them are Carmella and the rest of the characters in the series, as there are few characters I do not like .

*'s encapsulate spoilers, the first one from AWoM and the second from AWA

Comment

I would have to say that my favorite side character is Dairine, but I also love Spot. He is just to cute! I love it when he keeps saying, "Uh oh". I mean come on, who here doesn't want a computer like him?
          "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

Cutest: Tualha, the cat bard.

Enigmatic: Transcendent Pig

Favorite: A tie between Tom and Carl.

Bob

Comment

Whaaaa? I have to choose? When everyone else is so uniquemultifaceted: Roshaun; Most underestimated: Filif; Most hungry: Sker'ret; Most creepy: Ed; Most friendly: Fred; Most optimistic: Ponch; Most plural: Pont; Most anthropomorphic: the Lotus; Most intelligent: Gigo/Motherboard; Most sentient: Spot; Most awesome: twychilds Tuyet and Nguyet (recently, Irena and Mamvish)

I'm being a little facetious; please forgive me. I fudged a little; no one can be "most sentient." Just how would you describe those adorable quicklifes? I hope we get to know some of these characters more!

Comment

Well I like Dairine and Roshaun and I really like the Transcendent Pig. Spots interesting too.
                I think I'll go ennoble some waffles.
                -Nita

Comment

I'll try to choose just a few...
                  Best adult characters: Tom and Carl, just because they're generally awesome. (And they really remind me of two family friends.) I really wish we saw more of them. A story (even a short story) starring them would be AMAZING. I also nominate them as Cutest Couple, even if it isn't official.
                  Carmela: Best Comic Relief. Also, coolest non-wizard. She's just so hilariously awesome.
                  Ronan, though he was best in AWA, and has gotten slightly more annoying since then. Still one of my favorites though.
                  All the cat wizards, but Arhu especially (by far Most Adorable).
                  And of course Dairine, though she's not really minor. The first YW book I read was HW, at age 7, and when I picked up the book my reaction was "oh my god, this character is me!". So Dairine will always be one of my favorites.
                  -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
                  -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
                  -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

Hmmm....it's really a tie between Sker'ret and Ronan for me. Ronan is just hilarious and I love how he was possessed by Peach. Sker'ret is a giant caterpillar from Outer Space. Also, I love the Crossings and Rirhath B and how he almost ate Nita's whole kitchen. (It's really amazing that I remember so much since I last read the books about two and a half years ago)

Comment

Character designations... Fun!!

Most lonely: Ed; Most talented: Ponch; Most piratelike: Peach; Most oracular: Doitsu/the koi; Most sarcastic: Kit... though all the characters have their moments; Most empathetic: Kit; Most adaptive: Kit; Most dependable: Nita; Most relatable: Nita; Most strong-willed: Nita/Dairine; Most patient: Darryl; Most unexpected: Bobo... and the Transcendent Pig; Most everywhere: The Transcendent Pig.

What about character "Most Likely"s?

Comment

Personally, my favorite is Pont from W.D. (#5), the fact that he exists as multiple personalities and sees the universe as completely Euclid is pretty awesome. Not to mention that some of his comments are hysterical. WHY CAN'T WE GET MORE PONT!!!

Comment

I knowwwww. I love Pont. If there's any throw-away character I wish would come back for a cameo or two, it's Pont. And maybe Kkirl. TWD left me so many questions; I still have no idea what to make of the Sulamids whatsoever! And wasn't one of them in a short story/novella DD wrote recently? It helped, but not nearly enough. The mind boggles.

(On another note: I can't believe that was a post I wrote ten years ago on the previous page. I WAS SO GOSHDARN EARNEST augh it's so embarrassing)
                          Last edited by dorotheia; May 8, 2017, 02:21:56 PM.

Comment

So many great characters to choose from! We did get a bit more of her in GWP, but I'd still love to see more of Irina, the Planetary. More Darryl would be great, and I can never get enough of the houseguests as well
                            All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Originally posted by dorotheia View Post
                              I knowwwww. I love Pont. If there's any throw-away character I wish would come back for a cameo or two, it's Pont. And maybe Kkirl. TWD left me so many questions; I still have no idea what to make of the Sulamids whatsoever! And wasn't one of them in a short story/novella DD wrote recently? It helped, but not nearly enough. The mind boggles.
                              LOL I didn't really see Kkirl coming back, but maybe some of the others from the Playpen would have been fun. The Sulamid would have been neat to see in some action - I wonder how his species treats erranty? What was the short story/novella featuring a Sulamid??? I am so curious now!!! I'd be interested in seeing Mmemyn come back too, we never see much of that one after the first meeting.
                              Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; August 13, 2018, 03:35:48 PM. Reason: unbroke formatting

Comment

Working...
                              X