How would you like to keep spells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you like to keep spells?

the series has shown many different ways of keeping spells. Manual, in the mind, wizpod, or computer. My question is how would you want to have access to your spells?
    Manual
    58.33%
    using your mind
    8.33%
    wizpod
    8.33%
    computer
    16.67%
    Other
    8.33%

I'd say my answer might change from Manual-book to the computer-Manual as I grow up (maybe when I learn programming; that's what Dairine did before she got hers).

For now, I'm more comfortable with a book. This is for several reasons: A) easy to carry around. B) reading skills and speed. C) I'd rather not mess with my Manual's syntax by accident... I like to know all of what I'm doing, not to have all the mysterious extra functions carried out for me in cyberspace. (Even though they could save my life.) D) Straightforward procedure: Pick a chapter. Read through. Read next chapter. Repeat. There is no hypertext, no links, no history, etc. etc. to confuse you!

Not that I don't like computers. I just don't have the same trust. Nita said it best: "I like books. They don't crash."

Comment

Computer. I'd also like a manual in the kindle, but computer is much more me.

My computer is part of me. I carry it with me /everywhere/, directly on my back. I actually brought it when we flew out to my grandfather's funeral, knowing that I wouldn't have network there, purely for emotional support. Yes, my computer provides emotional support even when its off. Actually my boyfriend was making fun of me earlier today because I've gotten so used to the heat on my back in winter that my shoulders tense up if its not there. Your interactions with a book can't get the point where a book has a personality, with a computer, they can. Both of my systems have. Though for me, computer is much easier to transport as well. I also do have the whole graduating with a computer science degree thing too.

For these forums I'm a very technical minded person. My undergrad degree with math/CS double. I run linux, but even use the command line most of the time. My boyfriend and I talk mostly via IM while cuddled up on a couch with nobody else in the room, because typing is more comfortable than speaking. I am the type of person who you would be confused to answer anything other than computer, because well Om is pretty much as far as you can go without the magic already.

It also makes sense because, Spot has always been my favorite character. In Heinlein books, the computers are. Computers as characters has always been something I am a fan of.
      We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

The manual. Reasons? 1) I swear that books saved my life in middle school, I might have been suicidal if it hadn't been for my reading. 2) There's something comforting about turning pages, even if you aren't reading what they say. 3) Books smell good. 4) My laptop, who I will reffer to as Iggy because that's his name, has a battery limit. No matter that it's eight hours it still exists. But books are there even when the lights go out.
        Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
        "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
        "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

I like how it is for the whales and the sea wizards. They hear the water. I would love to hear the wizardry through the wind or the same way that Ronan does, by memory.

Choosing between book and computer, I would choose book.

Bob

Comment

While having the big book of everything is tempting, I'd have to go with a computer manual because of how much time i spend on it and how crazy i go without it. I think I'm much faster at gaining knowledge in a digital form so there's that. Also I don't think I could trust myself at all to keep all my spells in my head. I'm prone to go off into a day dream and get distracted or just plain forget things.

Although on the negative side I would probably run into problems with the computer version if I was also using as my normal computer. I can't imagine how embarrassing it would be to have my link to the power that be look at the non-wizardly data saved and talk to me about it. I have the feeling that something along the lines of "Why do you have so many unnecessary pictures of men with their shirts off saved?" would come up.

Suddenly I can't help imagining my version of the manual nagging at me in a spock-esque no emotion misunderstanding.

Comment

Working...
            X