Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could change one thing about the YW series, what would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could change one thing about the YW series, what would it be?

So I was wondering what people didn't like about the series so far. Criticism makes our achievments greater and more sucessful! Don't be mean and please don't correct any spelling grammar(everyone makes spelling mistakes!). If there wasa certain part you did not like, try to remember which book it came from!

So, what didn't you like about the book and how would you change it?
    (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Hmm, that's really hard. I don't like how Nita's mom always (used to) assume the worst about Kit and Nita, esp. in DW. (Kit was twelve, for cryin' out loud!) Yes, I know that that kind of thing does happen, but Kit and Nita are too responsible to have that assumption constantly made. And by Nita's own mother too.

The only other thing would, possilbly, be the timeline...the sliding scale doesn't bother me too much until one of the characters mentions how old they are .

Comment

I know this is picky and minor, but it has always bugged me that the LP is referred to as 'the evil Starsnuffer' in SYWTBAW's blurb. It's a funny-sounding name. Kinda reminds me of Saw Boss from that old eighties cartoon 'Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors' (anyone else out there remember that one?). I can't help but wonder if people have been put off reading the series because of SYWTBAW's blurb.

Not that I'm dissing SYWTBAW. (Or Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors - that cartoon was Made Of Awesome!)

Comment

Peach would still be alive. That's about it.

But really, this is why fans aren't editors (I mean, some fans are editors. I'm trying to get into publishing school so I can grow up to be an editor. But you get my drift.) Because the reveal at the end of HW is tremendous. It's perfectly timed - I think HW is probably the best paced of all the books - it's a revelation because we'd all gotten used to Peach - it makes everything about her *make sense*. It's brilliant and that's why HW is my second-favourite in the series. But I love Peach and I miss her... and if I was in charge the series wouldn't be nearly so good.
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I agree with SilveredBlue about the Nita's mom always thinking the worst. It's just gross, and I would think she would know her own daughter well enough to not go making assumptions. I would be suspicious, I mean they were always out all day, but I wouldn't go that far. Someone started a thread on it, go check it out.
          "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Moi? I would very much like to take a step out of the YA section of the bookstore and follow an adult wizard for a while, and freaking find out what was gonna happen to Carina Keeler!! We never did get to finish that "Wizards on Call" thing at fanlib, did we? [Hey, did anybody keep a copy of it?]
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Another thing, sorta like Peach, is Ponch. I would definetly not have had him kille(although I kinda get why it happened..... )That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
              All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Originally posted by 96bookworms View Post
                Another thing, sorta like Peach, is Ponch. I would definetly not have had him killed (although I kinda get why it happened..... )That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
                I don't think Ponch is dead. He realized he was a god- the One for dogs, who had a delayed Choice. And I also don't think he's gone- I'm fairly sure he'll make a cameo in AWoM somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
                  I don't think Ponch is dead. He realized he was a god- the One for dogs, who had a delayed Choice. And I also don't think he's gone- I'm fairly sure he'll make a cameo in AWoM somehow.
                  Sure he will. But it won't be the same. He won't be Ponch as we knew him. I mean he will, but he can't run around on adventures saving everyone's butts all the time anymore. That was the first scene to have made me cry in the entire series, that I can remember, and certainly the first one in a couple of years.
                  Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
                  "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
                  "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

SilveredBlue: Have to admit your post gave me that *CLICK!* realization. "The One for dogs?!" I exclaimed to myself. I honestly thought he was the One Himself. Either way... It makes sense. And wow, what an honor. Beautiful choice, on the Powers' part. (And DD, of course)

Ink.Knight: I think he'd be the same... I mean, the dog that met up with Kit at the end of the block is sort of Ponchy, because well, as they say, "god is in every one of us," so technically, Ponch is part of that dog.

I misssss himmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hopes he makes an appearance in AWoM. That would just make me so happy. Or even in the book after this. I cried so hard!!

Besides Ponchy, I think another thing I'd change is a bit more explanation. I love the creativity and hard work DD put into placing excerpts from the Manual, but it kinda bothered me that I had to sit there and think a bit and figure out for myself what a twychild really was, and how that would work.
                    ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                    AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                    Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

A little more explanation for the Martian thing. Just what happened after Kit carved the Martian rocks with telephone numbers?!? That I would've loved to see...
                      Also, I wish Kit's problems with Helena were clear from the beginning. It surprised me when they talked about it later in the series... Wouldn't that have come up?
                      And I agree about Nita's mother's assumptions, however reasoned they may be. It threw me out of the story a little in DW...

Comment

Yeah, the parents assumptions were definitely too mature for the kids- you'd expect that to be valid when they're teenagers, but as discussed in timeline threads (oh, the headaches!) the characters are young! 11, 12, 13, 14! Ridiculous.

Also, the whole Kit-and-Helena thing... I had a friend once who was close with only two out of three of his step-sisters. I think it was just the difference in age- she being so much older than him, and them not really seeing each other more than one every few years or so. So for me, that's kind of how I related Kit and Helena... although I would have liked an explanation for that, as well.
                        ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                        AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                        Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

I would think that maybe Nita's mom might think that in her head, but wouldn't mention what she was thinking unless they really gave her reason to believe they were doing it. If I were Nita's mom, I probably just would've kept a closer eye on them.
                          "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Um, Wolf, actually, no. They're not too young at all. My sister was 12 when she decided to lose her virginity to her boyfriend, and a childhood friend of mine had had two children by the time she was 16. My dad also lost his virginity at 12 years old, by his own choice. So it's a reasonable thought. You may not feel as if you're at that level of maturity now, but some kids mature faster than others in certain ways: not everyone is the same.
                            Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

Triala: It wasn't so much youth (although that was a big part), but responsibility that I brought up in the first place. Nita and her mom had a close relationship, from what I can tell, and her mom should know her daughter a bit better than to assume the worst immediately at that age.

Also, in SYWTBAW and DW, it clearly indicates that Kit is not at that level of maturity, although that changes by WD. However, Nita's mom might not have known that.

Dorotheia: I think we'll find out about the Martian phone numbers in AWoM. the title is a giveaway.

Edit: Looking back...just as friendly advice, your post might be verging on the inappropriate for the younger forum members, Triala. We don't want to shock any little eight-year-olds. Might want to be a even more vague, if possible.
                              Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 8, 2010, 02:24:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X