Wishing the wizardly world was real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YW definitely.

Magic in YW is much more integrated into real life. I could be a wizard and go on with my life as mum and school counsellor.

Mind you, I would love to have a broomstick

Comment

I think the YW magic is more belivable, because there are limits on what you can and can't do, and because you wroking withing the rules of the universe. HP magic is a lot more classical, more wave-the-wand-and-speak-the-words.
      Having weiter would be good, but I think YW magic would work out more practical in the long run. Plus, you get to talk to everything

[Btw... Fairy Hedgehog: would I be right in thinking you are a Discworld fan? (This is where I end up blowing PTerry's seceret forum ID...)]

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

ok, I changed my mind, YW.

Have an issue get a tissue!!--Steph C.
        Kisses taste like chicken-- Absoulutely Normal Chaos...sharon creech
        Early to bed early to rise, makes a man healthy and wise...but NEVER wealthy.-- my Dads Scottish school teacher
        Don't be a fool. Glasses are cool!!-- I made this one up.
        Love yourself no matter how you look!--Zgirl
        penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Yes, who wouldn'twant it to be real??? and I would rather have the YW kind...and in the YW kind you can make up spells that are practical for what you are doing. and you can talk to trees. and you can go to the moon...
          And what was the thing someone was saying about the Oath?

***ally***
          Never try to eat a quesadilla while on the computer. Never. It is too gooey. I know this from experience.
          and yes...I am slightly (hehe) crazy
          ***ally***
          Never try to eat a quesadilla while on the computer. Never. It is too gooey. I know this from experience.
          and yes...I am slightly (hehe) crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Wilf:
            [Btw... Fairy Hedgehog: would I be right in thinking you are a Discworld fan? (This is where I end up blowing PTerry's seceret forum ID...)]
            I am indeed a Terry Pratchett fan. My name is from the book Witches Abroad which is a special favourite of mine. But as a woman who has never had a book published, I can't claim to be the great PTerry

Comment

Neatly combining my two previous comments... if magic were real, would the Discworld version be the preferred option? Personally, I owuld stick with the YW version... but at least in Discworld I owuld get plenty of food

FH: Witches Abroad is actually one of my favourite D/W books. It's from PTerry's early phase, where parodys thing mercilessly, and Witches Abroad is the epitome of that phase.

Comment

Heh. Discworld magic vs. Young Wizards... tough. I think not Discworld. You have the problem or Rincewind and there's also the Heros vs. Wizards...

-MaThFrEaK
                "Hehehe. You smell funny."
                "I love fish and chicken and turkey and ham and squirrels and pork and..."
                "Izza mousey!"
                ~Gryphon~
                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Comment

I recently began reading the YW series, being a fan of Harry Potter. I love the series and read all 7 of the books as fast as the library could get them in. BTW, I'm 29! I would love to take the Oath to serve the One and the Powers That Be. I wish I'd found the Manual in the children's section of the library in the town I grew up in. That part of SYWTBAW really got to me. I think the whole series is excellent, better than HP in so many ways. I'm also a Christian and I've found a lot of themes in the book that I view as religious in nature and ones that help me appreciate what I believe in. I only wish I'd found Diane Duane earlier, but better late than never, right?
                    I am on errantry and I greet you. Dai!

Comment

Oh, wizardry is very real. We all contribute to or detract from our universe depending on what we do each day. Each day, we help or hinder the Powers. What we do, what we say, makes a difference, however ordinary. And I suspect we're on Ordeal in this life, preparing ourselves for a full gift we're not fully equipped to handle yet. I don't doubt that if we prove ourselves, we will inherit all the power to help and build and create that we can handle. I may not have taken Duane's version of a formal oath, but so far as I'm concerned I've made my own promises to God to help him in the work of building and healing. That's the essence of wizardry and doesn't rely on any manual.

Dai! Hope you're all having a good day.
                      I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

If I was offered the oath, I would take it. To serve life seems like a very honorable thing to do and I think I'd be willing to make sacrifices to do so. Plus it would be awsome to have a WizPod. Obviously the life of a Wizard isn't easy, but everyday people make ascrifices to protect whats important to them. Being a Wizard is the same thing, just on a larger scale.
                        "But your dark Master has neither authority nor right to judge us. Therefore stand away, lackey, and keep silent in the presence of your betters."

Comment

Working...
                        X