Shippy-ness in W@W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shippy-ness in W@W

What does everyone think about the relationships between the characters in this book? Personally, I'm a sucker for Kit/Nita and I think the whole scene on pages 262-263 was very interesting. Especially this little thought from Kit while he's conversing with Nita about her and Ronan's kiss:

"But this is as far as I've ever gotten along this line with her, and if I give up now, I may never have the guts to bring it up again! Or the time-

Hmm kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? Also, what about the whole Dairine/Roshaun thing? I mean, now we have all this stuff to worry about 'is he dead, is he not dead, is he lost?' stuff. However, the whole scene towards the beginning where Dairine meets his parents and the crowd of people see her... hmm, might not bode well for them.

Course, they both already admitted that they're to young for anything serious, so this implies that both Dairine and Roshaun were thinking about it.

Anyway, just wondering what all ya'll think about this. Do you think a Kit/Nita romance will make a little peek into the series sometime in the not to distant future?

Lauren asked:
    Do you think a Kit/Nita romance will make a little peek into the series sometime in the not to distant future?
    Hmmm. Apart from Kit finally bringing up That Kiss, there's also Nita's hug: "a hug calculated to be twice as emphatic as any she'd given anybody else."

Plus the last two sentences of the book. (I'm assuming that's Nita, and not Carmela !)
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Yes I did a little victory dance at the end.It was a very nice shippy ending. I wonder if that'll come up as something Kit 'has the guts' to do again, himself? Hmm.

Comment

Well, it seems that Nita and Kit always end up together about to tackle their next challenge at the end of every book. We all know it's got to happen eventually.
        I was able to get through how repressed those two were with all the fabulous Dairine-Roshaun action. Sharing thoughts, now, eh? There's a future of some sort for those two guaranteed, what with Dairine leaving to find him in her dream at the end.

And . . . Good God, those lollipops!!! DD's gift to the fan community
        ~Philosopherkat

Comment

Dairine and Roshaun mind-touching? Oo-la-la! yea........and kit sighing in relief on pg. 263 after nita said that things were normal and the subject changed....was that about Ronan keeping watch, or was it that Nita possibly calmed his fears...?

alrite, then....
          just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

The fact that Kit is acutally being active on the subject is what's really the first sign he might want a little more out of the friendship. Before, he simply said nothing, or just had passing thoughts (like in Dilemma where he makes the comment about Nita wearing the skirt).

Now, before, Nita and Kit had been unwilling to take a step, mostly because they were too young in book 3 but didn't put that label on it. Kit simply wasn't interested in girls yet and Nita was having a first puppy love crush, it wouldn't have worked.

By the time of WaW however, and following the shock of almost losing the universe (and Carmela taking care of Ronan ) , they are probably ready to take a step, should DD so will it.

PS. I'll try not to lurk in the spoiler forum, this discussion should be fun.

Comment

Yes, that was the first thing I noticed. He was vocal about his... what should I call it? Maybe not jealousy of Ronan, but... insecurity about him? Curiousity? Plus, he also revealed *unintentionally more than likely* that he's overheard/explored around in Nita's thoughts without her knowing.

I especially liked the part at the end when he reminds Nita that she had hugged everyone else in his family, and she in turn gave him the biggest hug out of all of them. I don't know exactly how this will translate in the next book, but in this one, there didn't seem to be that much awkwardness with it.

Granted, they were busy worrying about the end of the universe or something very near to it, so it probably didn't cross their minds to be unsure and nervous. However, now that things are back to some kind of normal, do you think Nita will start noticing Kit's attention to what she does/did with Ronan and other guys? Or maybe will this create some tension in their partnership that will effect what they do in the next book? Hmmm, something to ponder I suppose.

Comment

Actually, maybe they started to notice a little more because of the risk? Isn't that when you would want someone to know how you felt, in case it was all about to end?

Comment

Okay. Firstly, Dairine/Roshaun. I think they make an AWESOME pair and I really want that ship to work out. However, Nita/Kit I am not such a big fan of. The great thing about their partnership is that they are JUST GOOD FRIENDS. If you look up Roshaun in the Errantry Concordance, it clearly states that Dairine's and Roshaun's frienship will not be "as simple or straightforward a friendship as Nita's and Kit's." There you go. Nita and Kit should just remain best friends in my oppinion. Diarine and Roshaun however...
                  -Kris

Comment

Well, with Roshaun having gone missing in action, nothing can be straightforward for Dairine/Roshaun, can it?

It looks as if Nita and Kit may be becoming more friendly than they have been... or people are reading too much into the hug and the last line of WAW.

Comment

lol, I think people are over reacting to the hug and anything that might suggest something between Nita and Kit. They're best friends... I don't think much is going to happen between them. As for Dairiene and Roshaun.... well if he's alive then I'm all for something between them, but DD's never been big on romance in the books, except some in Abroad. *shrug* I'm not expecting anything.
                      *Agent~M*
                      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                      "I could live

Comment

Dairine/Roshaun...yeah. By a hundred pages in I was shipping them like MAD. You can see they're just perfect for each other...and I have no doubt that, wherever he is, she'll find him.

Now Nita/Kit...I've never been a big fan of them, because, as Kristina said, I always thought they should be "just good friends" although I conceded that I wanted them together rather than either of them with anyone else. But the N/K vibe in W@W was VERY strong. I noticed the quote that Lauren posted in the first post of this thread, and found myself wondering as I read, "Or the time WHAT, Kit? Or the time WHAT?" The hug and the ending line also contributed to the vibe, I felt. But I'm surprised no one's mentioned what Carmela said to Nita when discussing Ronan's hotness:
                        "'Mela," Nita said under her breath, "you need to stop concentrating on someone else's hottitude and get serious, okay? We are not in a safe place here.'
                        'Yeah, okay,' Carmela muttered. But she shot Nita a sly look. 'See that? Hung up on my little brother as you unfortunately are, I got you to admit it. He is utterly hot.'
                        'I am not-'"

So Carmela obviously sees something. And I have to admit, although I resisted it in the past, I am okay with N/K now. I think they've both grown enough and changed into the kind of people who could use something like that in their lives. And so I support it.
                        *Ella*
                        "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                        There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                        And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                        What could mean more than this?"
                        --Bright Eyes

Comment

I concur with Ella. Nita and Kit have a Beautiful Friendship, and they're lucky to have that. They interact beautifully now, and I love seeing them take charge and do the "old married couple/experienced partners" vibe. It's so much fun to watch the kiddies grow up! But yet again, you wonderful people are right: W@W was pretty much the shippyest thing we've seen thus far. And if they can add romance to the great thing that they've already got, then kudos to them--just so long as they "keep it real". Keep doing their thing. I'm confident now that those two can handle anything.

Dairine and Roshaun--HELL YES. I think you all probably realize that I am a HUGE D/R shipper. Have been since he showed up in Holiday. No, don't look at me like that, I'm serious. Right from the beginning he was a challenge for Dairine, and Dairine needed it. Now they can speak civilly and even *gasp* mind-touch, yet still retain their tumultous interaction that makes them so interesting. I think that may be why I'm suddenly more invested in their story than in Nita and Kit's--Dari and Ro have this element of chaos, whereas our original protagonists have basically settled down into their relationship. Until the next book, at least...then they seem to be getting some action. But I digress. Dairine and Roshaun are clearly headed somewhere. Well, once Dari finds him, of course. But, just like Ella, I'm sure she will.

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

Ella said:
                            I noticed the quote that Lauren posted in the first post of this thread, and found myself wondering as I read, "Or the time WHAT, Kit? Or the time WHAT?"
                            I read that differently. They're worried that the universe may be ending, right? So Kit thinks he may never have either the guts, or the time, to bring up Nita's kissing Ronan again, if he doesn't deal with it now.
                            I don't think he's referring to the time when ... anything. (Though there's that reference to "the things that Kit would have said to Nita (and once did) when there was enough time".)

And you do realise this is all misdirection? Will we see Nita and/or Kit be the first to have a serious relationship? No. Will it be Dairine and/or Roshaun? No.

It'll be Darryl who first starts seriously dating .

Comment

Oh yes. Darryl and... Nguyet! Yes, that's it. What a ship.

Actually, I'd think that it'd be really awkward to date someone who was part of a twychild. Poor Darryl. But they'll figure it out

(Did anybody else notice that Kit seemed a little attracted to Nguyet? He was certainly thinking about her being pretty.)

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

Working...
                              X