No announcement yet.

W@W Fanart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Barsoomian" art is something that a lot of the best pulp artists have had a crack at over time. My favorites (after the classic Schoonaver illustrations of the original hardcovers) would probably be Frank Frazetta's, or in his style. Let me see if I can lay my two favorite images in here.

One is the 1970 Frazetta cover for A Princess of Mars: the other is obviously an affectionate pastiche -- an Alan Davis/Paul Neary cover for the X-Men spinoff comic "Excalibur" #16, December 1989. Each links to a larger version of the image. Watch out: the large Excalibur image is about a meg and a half or so. (Oh, and PM: I'd say it was a near-certainty that Cockrum's art was influenced by Frazetta's, Whelan's and others' take on the Dejah Thoris look. Also, since Lucas is a pulp fan, I'd guess he pointed his costume designers in the same direction.)
    <center>
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td>
    </td>
    <td>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </center>
    Meanwhile, as regards the original Princess of Mars, the incomparable Dejah Thoris, anybody who illustrates her these days for frontcover usage has to fake it at least a little...because Burroughs is very plain about what she's wearing:

"She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure."

Hence a lot of cover artists spend a lot of time on those Highly Wrought Ornaments...or spend a lot of time finding novel ways in which to hide the beautiful DT's, uh, attributes.

Much more art associated with the Barsoom books can be found here:

http://www.erbzine.com/mag4/0470.html
    -- DD

Comment

D'oh! I've seen that Frazetta picture before. I think it's in one of my books of Frazetta art, wherever they've got to. (I can find the Dave Cockrum cover and comic, though. Never read any issues of Excalibur.)

I wonder if the film that's in production will use costumes that cover more than Leia's outfit did?
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Well...more fanart pouring in from this quarter. This time in colour!

[prince unlikely]

[the lollipop club]

That's all for now, folks.

(By the by--I have no idea what a rising bar galaxy looks like, so bear with my improvisation )

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

I LOVE Dairine both of them- that's really excellent work! I like your style.
          When I am riding, my heart is not in my chest, but between my knees.

Comment

Yes! Fellow Dari enthusiast! Thanks much, Alethia. And also, great username (also my alter-ego...heh) and love to the HDM.

So anyways, for the welcome wagon part--

Hey, I'm Alida and I will be one of your local fanartists here in the YW universe. So yeah, dai, cousin and welcome aboard.

Comment

Thanks! Dai to you as well, cos'.
              When I am riding, my heart is not in my chest, but between my knees.

Comment

Ahh! I KNEW I recognized your name, Alida. I saw your pictures on dA when I searched for YW-related art.
                "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak out and remove all doubt."
                -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

*ahem* So, um. Who's going to draw me Dairine in her Pretty Outfit (+tiara?) It's probably the teenage girl in me (read: all of me), but I kind of adored that bit. How awesome would it be to be able to change your clothes as appropriate?

I've already complimented Alida on her art, but surprise: it's still good.
                  Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I've tried it, but I need to do another one before it's, ahem, showable.

Probably sometime next week...?

Comment

Hee. I'm so demanding. (By the way: I got your fb for that, and really really appreciate it and it's what I needed, but I'm finishing my exams this afternoon- in about forty minutes, actually- and I haven't had the energy lately to work on it. BUT now that I've read WAW... )
                      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Well I'm glad it's what you needed, because quite honestly, I felt like I was babbling

And hey, if you weren't demanding, I wouldn't get off my arse to do anything, so it's probably a good thing.

EDIT: Okay, Tui, you got your wish!

Comment

Ooo... That's aweseome and so are all your other things . *huggles*

I wish I could draw like that. The extent of my drawing skill is my avatar - and even that took me aaaaaaages to do.

Comment

Aw, I've always loved your avatar, alla! It's really cute And I think it's a pretty sweet drawing job...looks all neat and comic book-ish

Comment

Hey, Alida your art is auuusome!!! >.< I luuuv drawing but I suck at drawing girls sometimes...

Like in this pic I drew in paint. ((I dun have a scanner or anything, so yeah))

But like, well uh....here's my pic!!

here it is!!! ^^ I _really_ suck at drawing girl's hair...even though _I'm_ a girl...
                              ~~~~---------------~~~~~
                              sweetbox!!!~

Comment

dormyZzz--I really like your style! I'd say your only issue is the paint program--I'd really like to see some of your traditional artwork.

Oh, and also, Roshaun is gorgeously himself in that picture...I really like it

And thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X