Dairine's emerald necklace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dairine's emerald necklace

I recall reading in WaW near the end that the chain upon which her emerald hung was a string of words in the speech, bestowed upon her by Roshaun. When she read those words she felt they were very significant

Did we ever find out what message Roshaun had left??

Nope, we haven't found out yet. Hopefully we will in A Wizard of Mars, whenever that comes out. Alright, I've got another question: what does everyone think it actually said? I'd be curious to know everyone's opinion...

(not trying to monopolize the thread or anything, just trying to promote actual discussion? )

Comment

Yes, I wondered the same thing in an old, now-locked thread near the bottom of the W@W Spoiler Forum. Here's what I wrote there, and I'd still be interested in what others think:
      Rather than taking random stabs at what it says, I'll go "meta" and try to figure out what type of allusion this is. Three possibilities come to mind:

- It's not supposed to be too subtle, just to take a few moments of reflection which lead to an "oh, I get it", sort of like the modified Apple computer logo. But nothing that it *must* be comes to mind, so I don't think it's that.

- It's intentionally and forever ambiguous, so each person can read into it what they will, in a very personal way. Eh, maybe, but I don't think there's a precedent for that kind of writing in the series.

- It's foreshadowing to be explained in a future book. Enough was made of the jewel in this book that this seems most likely to me. So I'll break this into two subcategories:

-- We just have to wait to find out what it says, and from that find out what exactly would make her start crying again.

-- There's enough context here to judge from her feelings what type of thing it might say, and from that, infer something more about her feelings. And possibly use that to narrow down what it says. And thus clarify her feelings even more.... Back and forth, sort of like that twin wizardry. Which didn't work, heh. Oh well.

Anyone think they have evidence of what it might say?
      Ardub
      r:w)

Comment

I was really confused about the necklace. We haven't heard what it says, yes, but I thing its something like "And the moon is no dream..." which is what Spot said in W@W.
        "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

Originally posted by Zirsta View Post
          I was really confused about the necklace. We haven't heard what it says, yes, but I thing its something like "And the moon is no dream..." which is what Spot said in W@W.
          I agree with you on that one!! I also think that maybe more could've been added to the 'and the moon is no dream' too. There may be a part about the sun too.
          Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Wait, I'm confused...
            I thought that the necklace was made when spot did the seaming because she couldn't find any clothes in her closet that she didn't like. So how did Roshaun put a message in the necklace? Or did he just make the necklace while she was doing the seaming but Dairine thought that the seaming made it?

Comment

summary and further conjectures

First, the Spot made the clothes (which, by the way, weren't seemings). Roshaun was looking at Dairine very strangely, but I don't think he touched them. On Wellakh, though, after visiting Roshaun's father (the whole reason for the visit) Dairine wants to put away her spell-made clothes and wear her old ones. Roshaun taps it and asks Dairine to keep it. Which she does, muttering about busted jewelry.

Anyway, I suppose it's possible that Roshaun could have planted a message, but I don't think anything so direct would make Dairine cry. I think her reaction would be more immediate and obsessive.

Instead...what could it be? I think Dairine might be going through something similar to what Nita went through in TWD, during which Nita's name changed. Because the writing on the clothing shouldn't have anything about Roshaun directly on it, it was spelled by Dairine. I think the important part on the necklace was Dairine's name. Names in YW are supposed to carry not only information about the individual but information about their relationships to other individuals. Go figure.

Comment

Oh, yeah I know they aren't seemings, that's why I said "seaming" it seemed like an easier way of saying that Spot made the clothes.

I think that the name part would make more sense, that's why I was so confused, it didn't make sense that Roshaun could have put a message in it.

Comment

i think he might have put a message on it when he tapped it but i think it says something along the lines of d't forget me and i hope he not truely gone because of the whole Dairine and Roshan relationship cuz he told her to keep it on when she changed into her regular clothes

And what do you think about Dairine being the guardian of the Earths sun?

Comment

a little off topic, but mostly on topic...

First, Wizardprincess, I don't think he is gone. Do you remember when Dairine and Gigo (and her other friends from the motherboard planet) went to Timeheart, and saw Rosaun's Timeheart? It was his home with the burnt/melted half of the planet healed, and and a gate to the Callahan home. It also mentioned something about how much he loved the strange moonlight (his planet didn't have a moon, it was destroyed by the sun...

(it's been a long time... how do you do a quote? there used to be a button)
                    "Behind her, Logo [...] looked out across the strange place, the image of a Timheart inside a Timeheart. 'Now do you understand?'
                    'Yes', Dairine said softly. 'We still have unfinished business...!'
                    Dairine stepped [...] back through the portals of dream to Earth's universe, to the real world, to begin the search for the one who was lost"

I think it is significant that Roshoun wasn't there, in the Timeheart... I think it means he isn't gone (not that anyone is ever actually gone, because of Timeheart).

And the wallpaper for A Wizard of Mars mentions the lost one found... it could be Roshaun.

I think it might have a message from Roshaun in it. I don't remember why, because it was an impression. I haven't rereas Wizards at War in a bit, so when I tried to look for it, I couldn't find it. Maybe it was a prophecy, or maybe if was the normal factualy type of thing from the manual, about her and Roshaun. Maybe as he disappeared, the writing changed. The writing could have been frequently changing, saying things about both of them...
                    I suppose that the one thing we really know is that it was somthing about her and Roshaun, whatever it was/is.

If (I hope when) Roshaun comes back I think it will be interesting, with her the guardian of Earth's sun. And maybe it makes sense, because Dairine has done assignments with suns before... We could probably speculate about why she became Guardian, in a different topic, if we have much to say about it.
                    "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

Working...
                    X