Resonances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonances

I almost died laughing last night when something sank in. Ronan carries a legendary weapon in his pocket in the shape of a pen. And blue food makes an appearance.

So, did Diane and Rick discuss this, or was it merely a coincidence that both WaW and The Lightning Thief came out in the same year? :-)
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

That is an interesting observation. Obviously I can't answer it, but I can lend my own fuel to the fire.

At least to me, it is interesting that Diane Duane incorporated the One into her story without ... making it explicitly about the One, and including the Powers as the active players. Rick Riordan does something similar in both the Percy Jackson books, where Charon is giving Percy the pep talk explaining the gods and their world, and says something about there being something more which is above the gods, but that the gods themselves don't like to talk about him, and then in the Kane Chronicles (where he's a bit more explicit ... he mentions Moses and the duel with the Egyptian magic-workers). Obviously it didn't go over my head. I like that both Rick and DD found a way to acknowledge and include the Higher Power (by which I mean God, *thud*, but you could read it differently I guess) into their world, but that it didn't necessarily make the story religious or less fantastical in any way. I really appreciated that grounding and I know of very few other authors who can make it happen.

You know, Rick Riordan = RR, Diane Duane = DD ... Oh never mind. That has nothing to do with whatever.

Comment

Haha never noticed that! But that really is great =) And yeah, I really liked their interpretations of the higher powers-leaving it open, not pushing ideas on people. It's a good idea for writers, since they won't, then, offend anyone by declaring the Debate one way or the other. Good job DD and RR! =)
      All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Originally posted by dorotheia View Post
        At least to me, it is interesting that Diane Duane incorporated the One into her story without ... making it explicitly about the One, and including the Powers as the active players.
        Remember, in "Wizard's Holiday"(I think), either Tom or Carl tell Nita and Kit that the Powers that Be are waiting to see what people do, and are acting as a result of this? Nita replied then: "I thought it was the other way around", and Tom says: "It's a popular misconception."
        It's one of my favorites. That our choices affect Theirs.

Comment

In the New Millennium editions, I think in Deep Wizardry, there's a point where Dairine was reading Percy Jackson...
          I've been thinking more and more about that blue food. :-/ It's such a whim...

Comment

Working...
          X